Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Aux input to sound system

AUX input plug

After reading these posts on the Vette forum:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/audio-electronics/2455819-c6-xm-aux-input.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-...t-alternative-for-owners-who-dont-use-xm.html

I decided, what the heck,,,, a project!!! And I really like the Aux input that is in our '09 CTS for the IPOD.

I contacted and order a kit form Ray Kawal, from one of the Vette forum post above:

http://www.kawal.net/auxinput.htm#Alternative 2

But I just orderd a kit, one harness that not put together. I did have to (?) buy a tool to crimp the pins for the connectors, WOW are they small! Extra $'s, duh?! His kit did send me some 4 connector wire with a drain wire, but I went ahead and bought some 5 connector wire with drain wire. Well,,,, I got it in now and it works great! I put the 3.5MM plug in the ash try, to the left of the lighter, (I don't smoke). I use the IPOD connector that we got with our CTS, it plugs into the IPOD and "Y's" out to a 3.5MM plug and a USB plug. So I don't have to plug into the headphone jack for an output this way. I know,,,,,, I should've taken pictures,,,, but this has been a winter job and it's been spread out over several months (lots of snow here too!). The pictures would've been about the same as the listed websites pictures.

Very nice Chad. I noticed the other mod for using the nav to enter data while the vehicle is moving. I'm wondering if this is the same in our XLR's. That would be great to have while traveling--let the co-pilot enter in your destinations!!!! Guess I'll have to do some research.

I think our radio connectors are different from the Vette's. The XM Sat connectors are the same. Our X's have a 32 pin connector to the radio. But,,,, the princpal is the same,, if we can find male and female connectors we could do the Nav thing. Looking at my service manual, pin F2 on the radio C1 connector is Vehicle speed signal, just put a switch into it!

Chad

I added the AUX3 adapter from Ray Kawal over the weekend. It is the adapter that plugs between the XM receiver and its wiring harness. The adapter works well. When nothing is plugs into the AUX jack, the XM plays. When something is plugged into the AUX jack it mutes the XM and plays the MP3 (at a slightly lower volume). Ray is an awesome guy who was very helpful. </SPAN></SPAN>

This is not an easy 10 minute install. The XM receiver is located between the back of the two seats. You need to remove the waterfall glove box to see it. I could not unplug the existing wiring harness from the XM receiver without removing from its bracket between the seats. This required a long 8mm wrench and a ton of patience. You can access the three nuts holding the XM receiver in its bracket by laying in the trunk.</SPAN></SPAN>

If you are installing the aux jack in your center console, you will need to completely remove the center console because the aux jack head was too fat to try to push up under the side of the center console. You do not need to remove the radio or the flaceplate covering the radio. </SPAN></SPAN>

This project took me 4 hours. If I had to do it a second time, I could probably complete it in under two hours. </SPAN></SPAN>

I was wondering if a place like best buy could do this iPod/iPhone connection. Or should someone take to the local dealership to have installed. I'm pretty good at something's but I have the use of one hand and short patience.

I was wondering if a place like best buy could do this iPod/iPhone connection. Or should someone take to the local dealership to have installed. I'm pretty good at something's but I have the use of one hand and short patience.

The dealer should be able to at least quote a price for parts and/or labor. GM parts are also backed by a warranty. Please keep me posted if you decide to take it in on the quality of service. Thank you.

Matt,

Cadillac Customer Assistance

Thank you all for this great thread. I recently bought the AUX 1 from Ray and it works great in my XLR.

One question though, I thought that I should still be able to get XM if nothing is plugged into the AUX port on the cable. Is that not correct?

Thank you all for this great thread. I recently bought the AUX 1 from Ray and it works great in my XLR.

One question though, I thought that I should still be able to get XM if nothing is plugged into the AUX port on the cable. Is that not correct?

I believe that is the difference between the AUX1 and the AUX2. Only the AUX2 has the additional wiring required to have the XM play when nothing is plugged in.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom