Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Battery drain on my 2005 XLR

BobbyT

My XLR/V(s)
2005 Black XLR
Hello everyone,
Thought I give a try at finding the cause of my car battery draining after a few days of not running. I connected my multi-meter in series on the negative post. Checked the current draw under the hood first. Next went to the passenger side fuse compartment. After letting the car sit for about twenty minutes, I took a current reading. The car was drawing almost 400ma. I was told 50ma was supposedly max when the car was at rest. Started pulling fuses. When I pulled the fuse labeled TRUNK LID LOCK/PARKING SOLENOID B, the current dropped to 14ma. Acceptable.
Not sure if that’s the problem, but it’s a start. Any ideas from anyone.
Thanks,
Stay safe everyone!
BobbyT

I think others on here have reported it the electronic key that seems to run all the time waiting for you to approach with the key fob. The computers cycle on and off a lot. Everyone has the problem and the solution seems to be best battery you can get plus a tender if you don't start the car at least once a week.

Bobby--- Long Tall Sally nailed it. There's a bunch of horror stories about owners who are able to enter their cars, attempt to start them, and then, having entirely drained the battery, being unable to get out because the servo-electric lock doesn't have sufficient voltage to engage. AND then, panic sets in, and the owners don't realize there is a manual lever to disengage the lock. The last incident that receive a good bit of national attention involved a guy being stuck for 14 hours. So yes, the XLR was the first to have a radio controlled "key" and of course, the receiver in the car has to be ON and does drain the battery. James

Hi Bobby.

To continue, my mechanic inform me that 50ma are the maximum that the XLR battery should pull the energy. when stationed.
If your XLR is equipped with some after market accessories like mine, you have to expect that the '' ma '' will be very HI.

A battery on the XLR start to loose its effect after few years and also, due to what Sally mention previously.
Having a none original battery, the system will also begin of not recognising it.
The present GM battery is simply not the best one installed in the XLR for the system needs.
A battery tender is the solution for the XLR park for many weeks and for the winter time.

The trunk lid actuator should be check also to see if it is doing what it should do.

IAN:wave:

IAN,
Thanks for the input. I just had the trunk latch replaced because it was corroded. Still trying to figure why the current dropped from 400ma to an acceptable 14ma when I pulled the trunk lid/parking solenoid B fuse. Not even sure what it is.
The common problem of the battery draining sounds like a poor design on Cadillacs part.

HI BoddyT.

Corroded actuator…. means water in the trunk, was the Top module verified ( it is in the trunk LH side corner well behind the carpet)

You need a diagram for checking the harness power of the rear lid components.

I would suggest you to purchase a repair manual were you would find all the concerns.

IAN :wave:

s-l1600[2] (2).jpg

IAN,
You were right on. The dealer found the latch mechanism corroded. The drains were both plugged causing water to get in both the trunk and the left / right rear compartments. Replaced the latch mechanism so at least the trunk opens and the top goes down. Still concerned about that excess current draw.

Hi BobbyT

Water in the passenger side means also corroded components,the Fuse 44 on the BCM, this additional fuses block ( box ) that you pull out that fuse has a circuit.

The auxiliary relay gets its current from the Fuses block under the hood from battery 1 fuse 33 and also from the BCM to the auxiliary relay and fuse 45. and then to the fuse 44 for the Top/trunk latch.

The same current feeds the luggage Barrier switch, the trunk actuator, the rear compartment switch and the front header switches.

Most of the fuses in the BCM fuses Block could have been corroded if the water when up to 3'' +-. ( no wondering why we have so much problems with this top.

The excess of ''ma '' could be in these components, checking the voltage and the corrosion on the wirings could tell you the problem.

Good luck

IAN:dunno:

13   Cadillac-XLR-2004-2009_in1_04-08[1].jpgA1     Boite a fusible extérieur (1).jpg

IAN,
Thanks for all your input. Just ordered the discs.
Thanks
BobbyT

I Have try to get you the wiring diagram, for some reasons I could not load them to you.

It is a wise decision in getting a repair manual.

IAN:wave:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back