Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Battery drain

EJW 71

My 2004 XLR must have a short in battery system. Over night the battery will drain down. It's a new battery. How might I go about
finding the short to ground? Thanks, Ed

My 2004 XLR must have a short in battery system. Over night the battery will drain down. It's a new battery. How might I go about
finding the short to ground? Thanks, Ed

Are there any after market accessories? Eg new radio/nav system?
Basic approach is to remove a bunch of fuses at a time until you find the set that fixes the problem. Once you have the set, put half back. Keep working on half at a time (ie half of half) until you find the one.

If you pull 16 fuses and it fixes the problem put 8 back. If it doesn't fix the problem, put them all back and pull another 16.
Once you have put the 8 back, did the problem stay fixed? if so, it is in the 8 you have still have out. Put 4 back, then 2 then 1. Otherwise put all 8 back and pull 4 of the ones you put back in earlier. Working on half at a time is the fastest way to finding the problem.
You might have to include breakers and relays.
You will need to test over the 24 hour period, well, an hour at a time is probably going to work. You can't measure the current on each fuse as you put it back in as you often get a surge and then the circuit can shut down after several minutes - this is normal and not a fault.

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back