Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Battery Float Charger

grahamdell

My XLR/V(s)
2006 Black Raven XLR
I have always used float chargers on my cars that were not driven on a regular basis. The last two were Allantes and they really needed to be maintained electrically. Those damn computers don't sleep.

I found my XLR on a Sunday afternoon parked inside at a small dealer. He was not open but the door to inside storage was and so I entered. The kindly caretaker said take a look. I did. It was dim inside the car, no lights on inside the storage and a black interior, so I turned some lights on and explored all the buttons, switches and gauges enough so when it was time to leave the door switch did not open the door. Dead battery. I called through an open drivers window and the caretaker suggested I crawl out the window. Well maybe when I was a 120 lb teenager but noway nohow was I going to be able to do that now. I encouraged him to find a battery charger which he did. The engine lid was open and after twenty minutes or so the door poped open. I now know about the manual release.

That's along way of setting the stage for my decision to replace the battery. It is obviously not the original but no date apparent on the case to indicate its age. Researching the Forums I purchased an Odyssey 34R-PC1500T. My current old reliable Cen-Tech float charger says "wet lead acid batteries only" and "do not use on AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) type batteries. Odyssey says "a 12V 2 amp trickle charger can be left connected" to maintain charge. And so what do I do?

First off, too bad you didn't know about the manual door opener situated on the left of your driver's seat. You could have popped the door open very easily.
Second, that Odyssey battery is a good one, exactly what I have in my X. I've gone as long as 2 weeks with out a trickle charger or driving the car and it starts up like it should. It's a workhorse.

It was dim inside the car, no lights on inside the storage and a black interior, so I turned some lights on and explored all the buttons, switches and gauges enough so when it was time to leave the door switch did not open the door. Dead battery.

Although you let yourself in to possibly buy a car, we had a dealer friend who had a homeless guy let himself into a XLR to sleep - & unintentionally ended up staying the weekend because the battery died & he couldn’t get out! :ugh:

"Those damn computers don't sleep"

I've replace batteries with red-top Optimas, and have been using Battery Tender Plus model on them for over ten years w/o any issues of keeping them all charged up & ready for use....

Battery Tender

I've replace batteries with red-top Optimas, and have been using Battery Tender Plus model on them for over ten years w/o any issues of keeping them all charged up & ready for use....

Battery Tender is the one that I use on my (4) (not my XLR) classic cars! I've tried others and they go bad before the (1) year warranty is up or soon after. Battery Tender company will send meaa new one, and if the warranty is up, they will give me a discount if I send them my bad one to them to rebuild. They are out of Deland. Florida. I do have an odyssey battery in my airplane and highly recommend using only their charger for it.

Odyssey Charger

I have always used float chargers on my cars that were not driven on a regular basis. The last two were Allantes and they really needed to be maintained electrically. Those damn computers don't sleep.

I found my XLR on a Sunday afternoon parked inside at a small dealer. He was not open but the door to inside storage was and so I entered. The kindly caretaker said take a look. I did. It was dim inside the car, no lights on inside the storage and a black interior, so I turned some lights on and explored all the buttons, switches and gauges enough so when it was time to leave the door switch did not open the door. Dead battery. I called through an open drivers window and the caretaker suggested I crawl out the window. Well maybe when I was a 120 lb teenager but noway nohow was I going to be able to do that now. I encouraged him to find a battery charger which he did. The engine lid was open and after twenty minutes or so the door poped open. I now know about the manual release.

That's along way of setting the stage for my decision to replace the battery. It is obviously not the original but no date apparent on the case to indicate its age. Researching the Forums I purchased an Odyssey 34R-PC1500T. My current old reliable Cen-Tech float charger says "wet lead acid batteries only" and "do not use on AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) type batteries. Odyssey says "a 12V 2 amp trickle charger can be left connected" to maintain charge. And so what do I do?
Buy the Odyssey Charger!!!!!!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back