Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Battery Issue

Jim61

My XLR/V(s)
2006 Star Black XLR
I have a 2006 Cadillac XLR. Just purchased this from the south and brought to NY two weeks ago.(weather here was in the 30s) Yesterday while parked in a parking lot with accessories on for 15minutes I went to start the car and battery was dead and had to have it jump started.Drove home and this morning started it with no issues.Volt metering car was reading 13volts, battery is a 4yr old Napa Legend. Looking for recommendations for a new battery with more CCAmore than the current battery of 600. Also, I have been reading online that the battery needs to be vented to the outside, what does that mean as I have never heard of venting a car battery and the one that is in it isn’t vented.

you are good to go on the vent as the battery is already mounted on the outside. Bmw and cars with the battery mounted inside the trunk or under the passenger seat need to be properly vented. Several people like the Optima battery. Look at the posts about it . You can find other poste hear easily by google xlr battery forum and it will take you to discussions. At least that works well for me .If you don't drive it for weeks at a time ,look at a battery tender for sure .

look at a battery tender for sure .

I was just gonna say

Mine stays on the tender most of the time - well, not during this Corona season - since, I actually drive the car

But, any time Cadillacs or other high end cars sit - they tend to eat batteries. . . And, an Optima is still a great bat. . . .Man, the days when I could buy an Optima for under a 100 Bucks

I remember those days. we had a race car with an aircraft battery. First gel cell I ever saw. Had a special charger. I remember the first optima demo where the salesman turned it upside down. cost was like you said 99$ when a regular battery was 60 so it was not that much more.

LSNote

That is the way to do, a battery tender is the real solution.

No matter how a battery is good, a park car for weeks end up to get dead.

Many of us are using our XLR, for only when the weather is fine, that means low mileages, again hard on a battery.

The XLR battery needs also a constent source of power for its complex electric system, constantly in communication.

IAN :wave:

I been slacking here lately - again, on putting on the Tender

But, I’m back to driving it daily - not far, at all. . . It sees maybe 50 miles a week

Also - when it does die, I really hope it doesn’t lose the key fob programming. . . My 08 CTS did that, real nice added touch

I been kinda gung ho here lately - been leaving it over nite without a tender, no probs - yet

HELP! PLEASE! Hello! We have a 2008 XLR and she has a new Interstate Battery (well, 1 year old). We haven't been driving the car as we haven't been going ANYWHERE (corona virus), and we went to start it 2 days ago and NO GO. :-( Battery dead. Put it on a charger and the charger alligator clip burned off... Bad old charger! Went and bought a new charger and left it overnight. Said it was 100% full charge, but wouldn't start. Removed the battery and took it back and guy said the battery was good, but that the gravity was off. He kept it and gave me a loaner. Charged it up and tried to start car...NO GO. Lights on, radio on, instrument panel scrolled, windows went down a few inches, key fob won't work (BRAND NEW batteries, too), doors won't unlock. However, I was able to put my hand in and open driver door. I was told by the dealer to try putting the key into the glove box 'switch' and turn it 5 times in hope of a reset. That's when the instrument panel began scrolling EVERYTHING. (Top open, door open, and so on), but still NO START. It's sitting out in a rainstorm with a window 1/2 way down, covered in a plastic tarp. HELP PLEASE! We've tried about everything, and are now at a loss. Any Ideas and suggestions??? Thank you, Laura

Maybe a stretch but try disconnecting both battery cables and hold them together for about 5 min. Then reconnect to battery and try again.

Again.....battery problem

Luette.

Since the battery was disconnected and replaced, the theft system just do what it should do, as he is in mode to protect your car, that is the reason why the motor would not start.

As per an I pad needs to be recharged….. the XLR electric system is very similar and that is why the information center cluster is scrolling and is trying to reload it self.

Let it stay for a while ( the night ), have the charger on, at the low charging level, and make sure that the battery cables are away of it.

The Window will have to be reinitiated see your owner manual listing and in the mid time read how to do it.

Also I would suggest…. there is a safety door opening lever at the LH floor seat, attach a cable long enough that will come up out of the upper door glass in order to open the door, in case you need it.

If your XLR refuse again to start tomorrow, it needs to be scanned, a visit at your dealership could be the solution.

Good luck.

IAN:thumbsup

Hi did, John.

Out of lunch with my wife from a restaurant, the driver window was half open in case that my battery would not be properly charge after a ride of an hour, so that I would be able to open the door of my XLR.

A samaritain customer try to boost my car and nothing was happening as the theft system was in mode to protect the car.

The car was towed to my dealer and the next morning the car started at the their yard, the battery was changed and cost me $350 and $250 of towing.

I dont wish this to any one, so I pass on my experience to some one that this could help.

C' est la vie.

IAN:(

John

A tender or a charger at the low level, so that you would have no problems in re initiating the door windows.

If you had no problems in changing the battery of your car you must had to re reinitiate your windows.

Regards

Ian:thumbsup

Ian, Are you saying if you get a new battery you have to put a tender on it right away ? And yes when I had a new battery put in I reindexed the windows.
John F.

John

Yes, a tender or a charger at the low wattage level, the alligator connection is to be put on the positive red cable bolt connector of the battery and tape it to prevent contact with steel components and to secure it and then it can be removed.
The same with with the black negative battery connector, put them away of the battery for more space to work.

This way a low current will be continued in the XLR electric system for the data communication modules and when the new or removed battery is in place the car computer lines will not try to re index it self and yes….windows will have no need to be indexed.

While the battery is out it would be wise to remove the ground connectors at the frame and to clean them, most people forget to do so, as a poor ground connection means poor current for the BCM and poor efficiency of the car modules and problems could occurred.

Regards

IAN:thumbsup

Ian, The poster said he put in a new battery and the car wouldn't start and there were other electrical issues due to the alarm system. What does that have to do with reindexing the windows ?
John F

John

The poster mention that the window stay open, and your poster is saying after you change the battery you had to reindex your windows.

An other question John.

IAN:dunno:

Jim61, just wondering if you got your problem solved? Hopefully yes. Do yourself a favor and purchase a Battery Tender, the can not overcharge your battery and the keep you battery in top shape. We installed the adapter piece that stays under the hood and all you have to do is plug the two ends into each other. Hook up your car when ever you are not driving it- I am assuming this is not a daily driver so hook up the tender when you park it, with spring time weather you never know if you plans to go out mey get cancelled by mother nature . I lower my hood but do not close it completely - it stays open a couple of inches in its resting place so it is obvious it is hooked up etc. These cars use battery power just sitting there, they monitor and maintain all your systems, look for you key fob etc.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom