Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Battery ??

beaver_jd

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Red XLR / 2007 XLR-V
I arrived back in Southern CA. and went and picked up my Toy. I hooked up the batteries and she stared right up. Then I indexed the windows and everything was great. I drove the car to my place and put it on a battery tender for the day and last night. I do this every year as the car has sat for 6 months. Mid afternoon I opened the door and something started clicking like crazy so I closed her up. This am I looked at the charger and the battery was not charged right up. Closed the hood and decided to take it for a spin. Well I couldn't unlock the doors and had to get in through the trunk. When I got the door open and got in the clicking started again. When it stopped she stared right up and I went for a short spin. What is the problem ? Any ideas.
John F.

Sounds like a battery, but who knows! If you keep having issues you may want to just have the battery, cable hook ups, and charging system test.
We had Roxy out yesterday and we stop at the store to pickup a few items and when we return to the car, my remote would open the trunk, so had my wife try hers, and hers wouldn’t work either. Thinking could both FOB battery died at the same time, well walked over to the door and it opened, so opened the trunk with interior button, started up her up and drove home. When I left her sit for about half hour went out and tried both of our FOB’s they both work fine! I’m wondering since they work on transmitter waves if it was possible of type of interference in the area! I think that was the first time that ever happen. We later drove to some local outlets and worked fine! XLR’s can be CONFUSING sometimes....LOL

Sent from Grand Daddy iPhone using Tapatalk

During the last hurricane here in north Florida, I hooked the tender up to the car and walked away. I then had to get something out of the car, but before opening the doors, I unplugged the tender first from the wall then from the battery. I do this every time before opening the car up. Because I think if you interrupt the charging cycle by opening the doors then you might have problems like this. So I just feel safe by unplugging it first then open the car up. After I got what I needed and shut the doors I then I plugged it back onto the tender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

During the last hurricane here in north Florida, I hooked the tender up to the car and walked away. I then had to get something out of the car, but before opening the doors, I unplugged the tender first from the wall then from the battery. I do this every time before opening the car up. Because I think if you interrupt the charging cycle by opening the doors then you might have problems like this. So I just feel safe by unplugging it first then open the car up. After I got what I needed and shut the doors I then I plugged it back onto the tender.

Hawkeye, I think you are right. I shouldn't have opened the door without unplugging the charger. I hope a couple of good runs will correct the problem.
John F.

I arrived back in Southern CA. and went and picked up my Toy. I hooked up the batteries and she stared right up. Then I indexed the windows and everything was great. I drove the car to my place and put it on a battery tender for the day and last night. I do this every year as the car has sat for 6 months. Mid afternoon I opened the door and something started clicking like crazy so I closed her up. This am I looked at the charger and the battery was not charged right up. Closed the hood and decided to take it for a spin. Well I couldn't unlock the doors and had to get in through the trunk. When I got the door open and got in the clicking started again. When it stopped she stared right up and I went for a short spin. What is the problem ? Any ideas.
John F.

Reading your posting: it sounds like your battery was disconnected but not on a Battery Tender? XLR's are very particular: they need a well charged battery. If the battery was 'just sitting there' then that could well be that issue. A battery tender is not a battery charger as such. It adds a trickle/top-up charge 'if needed' and if the battery is undercharged it only does a 'top up' charge so it may not have added enough of a charge added overnight to run the car properly: regardless if it started the car at the storage place. If the battery is a few years old I would take it to a local auto parts store where they should do a load test to see if it is capable of holding a full charge anymore. If it is 'not up to required standards' your XLR will let you know by various 'odd' issues. As Grand Daddy said, if you have any odd issues: have the battery (& other) tested. 75% of the time it is battery issues.

Keep us posted! :wave:

Reading your posting: it sounds like your battery was disconnected but not on a Battery Tender? XLR's are very particular: they need a well charged battery. If the battery was 'just sitting there' then that could well be that issue. A battery tender is not a battery charger as such. It adds a trickle/top-up charge 'if needed' and if the battery is undercharged it only does a 'top up' charge so it may not have added enough of a charge added overnight to run the car properly: regardless if it started the car at the storage place. If the battery is a few years old I would take it to a local auto parts store where they should do a load test to see if it is capable of holding a full charge anymore. If it is 'not up to required standards' your XLR will let you know by various 'odd' issues. As Grand Daddy said, if you have any odd issues: have the battery (& other) tested. 75% of the time it is battery issues.

Keep us posted! :wave:

Graytoad, My battery is about 3 years old and I think opening a door with the maintainer on messed something up. Tomorrow I will disconnect the negative terminal and hopefully that will reset everything.
John F.

John I’ve never had an issue like that and my car stays on the battery tender whenever I return back home and park her back in the garage. I’ve open doors , trunks and even cycled the top up and down while on tender, because I don’t like starting the car and letting run inside because we have a attached 2 car garage to our home. Never a clicking noise! Your tender only sends tickle charge to battery. I’m not positive but I can’t see how that would have anything to do with it, making a clicking noise. It’s still only a full charged battery the same if the tender is on the battery or not! These car are weird when it comes to the electrical systems. If I understood you right you said You unhooked the battery while it was stored, so maybe during that unhooked time caused something to glitch after hooking the battery back up! Don’t know! Just thinking out loud....lol

Sent from Grand Daddy iPhone using Tapatalk

First of all I want to thank those who replied to my posting with regards to my clicking problem. I disconnected my negative cable today, re indexed the windows and the clicking was still there so I went to my Caddy dealer. The first thing my guy says is battery but I didn't think so. He came out to my car and are you ready for this. My CD player has gone haywire and is recycling real loud every time power is put to the car. So I open the trunk ,the light goes on and so does the CD. The tech said leave it alone and I have no plans of doing anything. So these XLR's have gremlins and there is mine.
John F.

Gremlins for sure :) I doubt that a trickle-charge, battery tender has anything to do with what you describe while opening the car door or trunk while the charger system is plugged in. Sounds more like the CD/DVD system is trying to recycle itself if there is a disc loaded within???

Gremlins for sure :) I doubt that a trickle-charge, battery tender has anything to do with what you describe while opening the car door or trunk while the charger system is plugged in. Sounds more like the CD/DVD system is trying to recycle itself if there is a disc loaded within???
Pur zen, You are 100 % correct. There was a navigation disc in the CD player. I have never used the disc or the cd player for that matter.
John F.

The nav disc goes in the slot behind the screen, not the CD slot. The noise you heard was the CD player trying to read the nav disc--which it can't. Put the nav disc where it belongs and the noise will stop.

Pur zen, You are 100 % correct. There was a navigation disc in the CD player. I have never used the disc or the cd player for that matter.
John F.

The nav disc goes in the slot behind the screen, not the CD slot. The noise you heard was the CD player trying to read the nav disc--which it can't. Put the nav disc where it belongs and the noise will stop.

The nav disc was in the slot behind the screen. I have never had the screen up . I took the nav disc out and I think the noise has quit.
John F.

I opened my car door tonight and the clicking is still there. I am sure it's the CD recycling. I am going to live with it until I change out the radio which may be next year.
John F.

John F.
battery is under sized for the XLR for the factory size of only 550CCA

normally since this has alot of electronics 800-1000CCA would do a better job and last longer you will want to get a AGM battery type (deep cycle) like i said a lot of stuff runs while the car is off.. i.e trunk windows etc...

at the dealer they claim to recommend the 530CCA one :laugh:

make sure there is clearance before buying :rolleyes:

We had Roxy out yesterday and we stop at the store to pickup a few items and when we return to the car, my remote would open the trunk, so had my wife try hers, and hers wouldn’t work either. Thinking could both FOB battery died at the same time, well walked over to the door and it opened, so opened the trunk with interior button, started up her up and drove home. When I left her sit for about half hour went out and tried both of our FOB’s they both work fine! I’m wondering since they work on transmitter waves if it was possible of type of interference in the area! I think that was the first time that ever happen. We later drove to some local outlets and worked fine! XLR’s can be CONFUSING sometimes....LOL

If these FOBs are anywhere near a cell phone they won't work. I found out the hard way

My battery is maybe 2 years old and still good. My doors wouldn't open because my battery in the fob was dead. I replaced and now everything works as should. I had to re index my passenger window a couple of times because it was playing games. My check engine light came on and this time it was because of gas cap and not 02 sensor. I replaced the cap and turned off the engine light. This is the year i get a smog test so I hope everything goes well. My car is back in storage with the battery disconnected as I have gone home for the holiday reason.
John F.

Was wondering if there is anyway to open the hood with doors locked and battery dead??

Was wondering if there is anyway to open the hood with doors locked and battery dead??

Just sent message in the mailbox.

Use your emergency key that u should’ve received with the car. Look at pics in this message. Gently pry open the square on the left side bumper. Insert key then turn key to open trunk. Lever door above light in trunk driver side has gas door and should be driver door open. Then once in the car u should be able to open hood
d1d42c75320161742e8cd7418b05f159.jpg
1f84097fdfb3c4e689277a523be59062.jpg

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry