Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Been lurking for a while, thinking about taking the plunge

Joeinbcs

My XLR/V(s)
2008 XLRV Black Raven/Ebony
Howdy,
First, I'm interested in any thoughts about the value curve on these cars...I've been following for a few months on Kelly Blue Book, and at least one month saw an increase, rather than the expected decrease in values. I'm thinking that there may be a floor on values soon...Any other thoughts on this?
Secondly, I'm considering an '06 XLRV with 22K miles. Third owner has put less than 2K miles during his ownership on the car. Not the right car for his wife, apparently. Both previous owners had "no deductible" Warranties. I got a friend at Cadillac to run their maintenance record, but I don't know what happened when the car transitioned to an aftermarket warranty. I would be very interested in any thoughts on this car. Thanks, Joe
Here's what happened during the first period:
Here is the GM History:

Service Contract
Policy Number: 999999999
Owner: Aftermkt Non-GM Contract​
Description: Aftermkt Non-GM Contract
Deductible Amount: 0.00​
Effective Date: 10/02/2012
Expiration Date: 12/31/9999​
Effective Odometer: 0 MI
Expiration Odometer: 9999999 MI​
Daily Rental Limit: 0.00
Policy Number: 816338423
Owner: RASCHER-RALPH​
Description: CADILLAC XLR PREMIUM CARE
Deductible Amount: 0.00​
Effective Date: 12/30/2006
Expiration Date: 12/30/2010​
Effective Odometer: 25 MI
Expiration Odometer: 50000 MI​
Daily Rental Limit: 0.00

<tbody>
</tbody>
Transaction History
Job Card DateJob Card NumberTransaction TypeTransaction AdjustmentLabour OperationOdometer Reading
07/06/2011
ZREG----Regular Vehicle Transaction
B3980 - Folding Top - Align Or Adjust
13,575 MI
11/26/2010
ZSCT----Service Contracts
M0042 - Maintenance Service - Oil and Filter Change
12,614 MI
05/30/2010
A11777
Z2085 - ROADSIDE SERVICE (PREMIUM)
11,136 MI
04/08/2010
N0110 - Battery Replacement
10,958 MI
11/30/2009
Z2080 - ROADSIDE SERVICE (TOWING)
10,120 MI
11/30/2009
Z2083 - ROADSIDE SERVICE (BATTERY/JUMP START)
10,120 MI
11/30/2009
N0100 - Battery Charging and Testing
10,471 MI
11/28/2009
Z2080 - ROADSIDE SERVICE (TOWING)
10,120 MI
06/29/2009
F9709 - Drain and Refill Rear Axle Fluid
9,462 MI
12/11/2008
ZSCT----Service Contracts
M0042 - Maintenance Service - Oil and Filter Change
7,939 MI
07/01/2008
J6360 - Controller, Engine Control Module - Replace
5,569 MI
07/01/2008
C2020 - Sunshade Replacement - Right Side
5,569 MI
07/01/2008
C4184 - Retainer, Door Opening Carpet - Right Side - Replace
5,569 MI
07/01/2008
J5891 - Actuator, Supercharger Boost Control - Replace
5,569 MI
06/19/2008
J6372 - Sensor, Oxygen (Engine Control) - Replace
5,370 MI
01/15/2008
C2021 - Sunshade Replacement - Left Side
3,301 MI
08/15/2007
C4201 - Front Floor Panel Carpet Replacement - Left Side
2,105 MI
08/15/2007
Z7901 - 1-DAY COURTESY TRANSPORTATION
2,105 MI
11/13/2006
34 MI
08/07/2006
32 MI
05/26/2006
ZPDI----Pre-Delivery Inspection
Z6999 - PDI Related Fluid Adds
2 MI
05/17/2006
A03697
ZPDI----Pre-Delivery Inspection
Z7000 - Pre-Delivery Inspection - Base Time
0 MI

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>
Global Warranty Management: Site Map

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Has a clean CarFax.
Current owner has only changed the oil, and has had no issues with the car. xl6.jpgxl3 - Copy.jpgxl1 - Copy.jpgxl2 - Copy.jpgxl5.jpg

Welcome! I too own an '06 XLR V all black. And, like you I studied the market for several years before taking the plunge.
My V was a one-owner traded at a Lexus dealer across the street from the Cadillac store he bought it from so I was able to get the entire service history. And, despite my years of preaching never to buy anything in the finance office besides the car, I did opt for a 5/50 no-deductible warranty. My car had 40404 miles when I got it in October of 2014 and just tipped over 50k last month. I won't bother to itemize all the work I've had done on it, but suffice to say the warranty underwriter lost to about 2.25:1 on the premium charged. That's about $12k in work. [emoji41]

I love my V and will hold on to it for as long as I enjoy the experience! I hope you have half as much fun as I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your perspective!
I will only put 1000 miles or so each year on this car. I have several other collector cars and a couple of daily drivers, so it will be lightly used.
Still, I'm tempted to buy a warranty...Warranty Direct offers a 48-month, I think 40K miles, which looks decent, for about $3500. On this car.
Haven't decided if I need it yet, but it's a fairly modest amount for a little piece of mind in case of something catastrophic.

Thanks for your perspective!
I will only put 1000 miles or so each year on this car. I have several other collector cars and a couple of daily drivers, so it will be lightly used.
Still, I'm tempted to buy a warranty...Warranty Direct offers a 48-month, I think 40K miles, which looks decent, for about $3500. On this car.
Haven't decided if I need it yet, but it's a fairly modest amount for a little piece of mind in case of something catastrophic.

I managed to negotiate a Lexus platinum used car warranty for five years/50,000 miles four $5700. Of that I contributed a grand total of $500. The dealer paid the rest. It was a slow Sunday in the hot desert of Bakersfield California! [emoji41]

Joe, That looks like a pretty short list compared to the list I got when I bought mine at 40,000 miles, but I have not had any big problems in the last 30,000 miles. That is very low mileage for a 2006 and if the interior and exterior look like it had been cared for, I would jump on it if it is priced right. Wish mine only had that few miles when I bought it.

The big problem with these cars will be the lack of parts for future repairs. If you can wait till a replacement part becomes available (new or used) then it's not that big of a deal. One thing, check the bottom of the engine around the oil pan. Northstars leak oil from a few common points and fixing the leaks can be expensive.

Oh, and that little windscreen behind the seats between the roll bars was about a $500 dealer option!

Last edited:
Thanks for the input...I forgot to put the price...The Craigslist ad had a $34,500. Price...car's been listed for several weeks with no reduction.
The owner said he'd take $33K. This is $2-3K above the KBB and Edmunds Private Party price.
I don't mind paying a premium for a "like new" car, but I wonder what others think about pricing?
I heard from a member yesterday who bought his V with 19K miles three years ago for $34K.
Makes me think this car is overpriced by more than I had originally thought...

The Service History is missing a critical period of time -the last six years. And yes, for a ten year-old car, it is overpriced. Low-ball the seller and wait a month.

CC :wave:

All due respect I disagree. I think $33,000 is pretty good for a V with that kind of mileage on it. There aren't going to be many out there with under 50,000 miles on them. Not if you want black on black. It is a specialty car so only somebody who really wants it is going to buy it. You might try the lowball technique, I guess it's in just how bad you want the car? All the best to you either way.

I told the seller that I couldn't pay thousands more than both KBB and Edmunds say a perfect (only 3% of cars) Private Party price.
Of course, he said he didn't need to sell, and that I wouldn't find another low-mileage one as nice. This is verbatim what a guy in Florida, whose car is even more outrageously priced said to me....He was going to give me a special deal at $36,900 for an '06 with 28K miles...LOL. And, he acted insulted when presented with empirical evidence that the price should be thousands less...
I know people are proud of their cars...that's why I want one...but, does anybody really pay thousands more than real sales say you should?
These are rare, but its a thin market; not that many people with the money to pay cash for a ten-year-old car that promises to be, shall we say...an adventure.
And, if KBB is to believed, they're still depreciating at about 2-3% a month...
I guess I'll just put my plans to buy one on hold for a while and get it cheaper later...

Oh, and in response to Rule62, can you tell me why you think $33K is a good price? KBB says a car in Excellent Condition with 22K miles...only 3% of all the cars they cover Private Party Price should be $30,178.
Edmunds says that a car in Outstanding Condition with 22K miles should be $27.970.
Are you using some price guide that I may not be aware of?
I don't think offering top dollar is "low balling"...

Anyway...thank for the advice all!

Last edited:
Oh, and in response to Rule62, can you tell me why you think $33K is a good price? KBB says a car in Excellent Condition with 22K miles...only 3% of all the cars they cover Private Party Price should be $30,178.
Edmunds says that a car in Outstanding Condition with 22K miles should be $27.970.
Are you using some price guide that I may not be aware of?
I don't think offering top dollar is "low balling"...

1- There were 311 black/black XLR-V's made in 2006. How many of them are still around in arguably very good condition with less than 50k miles? It took me two years to find the car I wanted and price was not a major factor. Certainly not 10% above what the books says. Which leads me to...

2- Books don't buy cars.

But, like I said, all the best to you.

I spent many years in the car business and used cars are worth what the market will pay. Wholesale/Retail books are just a guide. No two used cars are the same and the buyer has to decide what the car is worth to them.
John F.

Thanks for the replies.
Just curious...how exactly does one go about buying a V...?
I buy and sell several special interest/classic cars every year, and always have three or four to play with at any given time.
I always use buying guides to negotiate a deal, and to determine if I can get out of the car without getting killed at some point in the not-too-distant future if I get bored, or tired of trips to the Cadillac dealer...as the case may be.
Jay Leno is famous for saying "I didn't overpay, I just bought too soon". But he's speaking of cars whose values are rising, not those depreciating 2-3% per month.
If this was my only play car, and I knew I wanted to live with it forever, the price wouldn't matter.
I'm not here to disagree with anyone, I just want to learn. Did you all disregard objective pricing guides and pay more than they all suggest when you bought?

I fall into that "price was the least important consideration" category. I wanted THIS car since I drove the first one my dealership delivered in 2004. If I were in the buy/sell business I'd probably have a different approach.

I can't speak for all, but most of the people on this forum are serious XLR people, not so much collector dealers.

I am in no way a dealer, unless you consider a car lover who occasionally breaks even, but mostly considers the usual loss the cost of the hobby a dealer.
My cars are solely for pleasure.

Last edited:
I spent many years in the car business and used cars are worth what the market will pay. Wholesale/Retail books are just a guide. No two used cars are the same and the buyer has to decide what the car is worth to them.
John F.

I agree with this. Also, although I don't know anything about how the pricing guides come up with their values, as there were only about 2,000 XLR-V's made, there's not a lot of data for them to work with so I wouldn't necessarily consider their info definitive.

We started looking for our XLR-V a number of years ago, taking into consideration that there weren't a lot of them out there, along with (at that time) a fair number of people posting here about "upgrading" to a V. V's aren't generally considered "collectible" yet & so aren't necessarily treated well, but get taken out for a thrashing. So mileage & condition dropped the numbers for what we would consider even lower. Ultimately, we decided that when we found the one we wanted, we were pulling the trigger with a cap of the most we would pay but not strictly being bound by any pricing guide.

If it were a base, the story would be different - check pricing guides & negotiate accordingly. The only exception might be a rare color.

BUT, we plan to keep ours for good. If you're just looking for a "flavor of the month" that you can dispose of when you tire of it, you probably should look for a higher mileage V (say 40k plus) that will be cheaper. The engines & transmissions on these are pretty solid, so you can still get a well-functioning car. That will lower your transaction costs when you cycle out of it while still giving you a "V" experience.

Good luck in your decision/search!

Thanks very much for all the perspectives.
I admit...I'm probably more of a "Flavor of the Month" type...I suppose with less commitment to the car (yet) than many here. Maybe a bit of an automotive dilettante, definitely not a dealer, just a retired guy with a bucket list I'm making my way through...
I hope nobody takes offense at my lack of commitment. I know these cars have a passionate following. I hope they become collectible, and that the market finds a bottom soon. They're stunning to look at, and as fresh now as when they were new. Plus, it would be fun to drive something that most people have never seen...at least in my part of the world.
I think the advice to find a slightly higher mileage car is sound, as they are more realistically priced (or at least priced closer to what the value guides recommend paying for a private party sale); maybe date for a while before getting hitched....or not....LOL.
Thanks again for all the great thoughts and advice.

Keep looking, you will eventually find one that fits. There are quite a few that come up on Craig's List in Texas alone. Higher mileage doesn't really scare me as you can see by the Cadillac's that I currently own. I have always been able to avoid one that was abused, but I buy mine to drive so condition is more important than low mileage to me.

My XLR has be seen in Bryan/College Station quite regularly, sometimes stopping at Christopher's for lunch on the way to Austin for a weekend. It's been around the Texas World Speedway a time or two also. For a $100,000 sticker price and limited production I'm not surprised that the prices are staying up there like they are, particularly on the XLR-Vs with low mileage.

These Cadillac's (and an old Mercedes) are in my garage now...not particularly valuable, but all very low mileage examples (the Lucerne Aqua Firemist/White 1970 Eldorado just turned 24K miles).
Very different from the XLRV, of course, but the I think you can see the inspiration for its "Art and Science" design language in the Silverpine Green '68 Eldorado and the '70.
The '76 is just a fun big old boat...not particularly distinguished from a design or build quality standpoint, but pound-for-pound, tons of fun...I still have this car, but sold it the other day on EBay to make room for a V...or a '64 Eldorado convertible...or both...

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (33).jpg
    FullSizeRender (33).jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 293
  • lucille1.jpg
    lucille1.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 290
  • FullSizeRender (35).jpg
    FullSizeRender (35).jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 297
These Cadillac's (and an old Mercedes) are in my garage now...not particularly valuable, but all very low mileage examples (the Lucerne Aqua Firemist/White 1970 Eldorado just turned 24K miles).
Very different from the XLRV, of course, but the I think you can see the inspiration for its "Art and Science" design language in the Silverpine Green '68 Eldorado and the '70.
The '76 is just a fun big old boat...not particularly distinguished from a design or build quality standpoint, but pound-for-pound, tons of fun...I still have this car, but sold it the other day on EBay to make room for a V...or a '64 Eldorado convertible...or both...

Like your collection -- the '68 & '70 are flavors I'd never get tired of!

Just an opinion...

Great answer from some one who said in essence that the value of the car is what the buyer is willing to pay.
I own and have for sale a 2007 Infrared XLR -V. For a car like this with what, possibly less than 100 units out there, in no way is KBB/Edmunds going to dictate the value of this car. Arrowhead Cadillac had a 2008 Infrared XLR V with 16K miles...it sold for $61,000 in a matter of days. I've also seen two others sold at Barrett Jackson, one was a 2006 and the other one was a 2007, 1 had 50K miles on it and sold for $45,000 and another one sold for $50K+ with not many less miles.
My 3 owner Infrared with 55,000 miles on it is on the market for $39,900. I was offered $36K and politely turned it down.
Some people just love this car and if this person is looking specifically for a clean Infrared XLR - V, I believe they will pay.
If not, I will continue to own an unappreciated/undervalued/non-collectible:dunno: (at this time).

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom