Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Best decision i ever made (bought a tech 2)

trench

My XLR/V(s)
2005 black xlr
HAD THIS POSTED ON ANOTHER SITE SO I FIGURED I WOULD REPOST IT HERE TOO for your enjoyment

Hi all. been lurking around on the site for a bit but never posted anything.

well first let me start by giving you some history on my car. its a 05 black xlr with 128,000 mls.

Thing that were wrong when i bought the car......
1. fuel gauge was stuck on half full
2. driver's door would not unlock from inside
3. traction control didn't work
4. manual shifting didn't work
5. drivers window did't work

solutions to problems.......

2. drivers door push button and lock button were bad ( symptom of bad lock button was that i could not unlock pass side door by my unlock button).
3. traction control switch bad ( jumped switch and could activate traction control)
4. limit switches were not making contact do to being out of alignment.
5. bad window switch.

fuel gauge i figured i would have to replace the pump OUCH!!!! I tried the fuel additive and it didn't work.
One day i went to the garage and my trunk was open. i must have hit the trunk release button on the remote when i left (was open for a few days). well i closed the trunk and all was well. I go to lower the top and it hangs at the point when the trunk should close.
Well i keep trying to cycle it over the course of a few days and still nothing. After a while the pump start to sound like its straining. I also notice what appears to be a stain in my headliner. i check the pump and its low on hydraulic oil. So you guessed it.... that stain is a major leak in the latching piston.
Well i removed it and sent it out for repair.
I get it back. reinstall and bleed the air. topped off the hydro fluid and guess what? the dam top still hangs lol. Well at this point i figured its the sensor that is bad.
So i figured ill buy them all for a total of $186. Now i hear that once a sensor is replaced i have to do a relearn. Thats probably another $200 at the stealer. So for close to $400 i should be in good shape.

Well me being a do-it-yourself type person i decided to bite the bullet and buy a Tech2 Clone
ignore.gif
. For $600 i received everything including usb key. I did a relearn without changing any sensors and everything works
smile.gif
!!!! saved $400. I also cleared the DTC codes and GUESS WHAT HAPPENED!!!!!! My fuel gauge
reset and started reading normal. Thats another $600 for parts and labor that i was going to pay to change out the fuel pump! So thats $900 dollars Ive saved Or to be more accurate, $900 - $600(tech2) = $400 in my pocket with a tech2 to play with
smile.gif
. It gets even better! playing with the tool i see i have a couple of miss fires on my even bank.
I did notice that the coils were different for one side compared to the other. Me being uninformed about these northstar engines; i thought it was normal. I now know that the side that is misfiring is the original set of coils from new. They will be replaced. Thank you Tech2
smile.gif
. as far as im concerned it has paid for itself. If it was to quit working tomorrow i would not care.

As a side note. i bought some imitation suede from Ebay and sueded my headliner. I was going to buy a new one but they wanted $200 for the liner( not a problem) and another $200 to ship it! ( oh hell no lol).

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back