Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Blown Fuse or Blown Amp?

TREE MAN

My XLR/V(s)
XENON BLUE/EBONY
Not sure if this is something you guys can help with, but I really would like to avoid bringing my XLR back to Cadillac if I can, so I will take a shot.

I had my car in for service to replace the battery, ride control module, and have V series rims/tires mounted and balanced. When I picked it up I was told there were no problems with any of the electronics except for the battery. It started up perfectly and the radio came on with the usual Cadillac logo. I did not turn on any music at first because I wanted to see if my new tires were as quiet as advertised and after a few hundred yards of an impressive ride I was ready to celebrate by blasting some tunes!

When I turned my CD changer on there was nothing to be heard, I turned the volume up and still nothing. The radio tuner changes stations and the track timer on CDs shows it is playing but there is no sound coming from any of the speakers. The navigation works but there are no chimes or voice guidance. I hoped the problem was just a blown fuse for the bose amplifier (fuse #31 in the engine compartment) but when I went to replace it, it blew as soon as I pushed it into the box.

With the strange set-up these cars have, should I disconnect the battery before changing the fuse? Or would that not make a difference and it's more likely I have a short from a blown amp?

Any advice is greatly appreciated as I feel like a fool wearing headphones with my top down and the frequent trips to the dealer are costing me all my money and sanity!

Any time a fuse blows as soon as you insert it, there is a short somewhere. If you were told there were no problems, I would take it back and ask them why the blown fuse on the radio/CD. There is a problem somewhere. As you state, perhaps the amp.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom