Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Cam actuator Magnets and harness connectors

packard_roy

My XLR/V(s)
2008 Crystal Red XLR
Had my XLR serviced yesterday and they are recommending that I replace the four cam actuator magnets and harness connectors as they said they are leaking oil. This at a cost of $1600. Also reseal both valve covers for $975. This is on my 2008 XLR with 33000 miles. I cannot see any oil seeping from the valve covers nor from what I think are the four cam actuator magnet covers. Has anyone had any experience about either of these issues?

depending on what they are calling cam actuators as there is a hydraulic part that leaks internally that some call an actuator. I dont think it has magnets though. Those have been No longer available for a couple years. Used one bring a fortune. A dozen comanies show them in stock but there are none . One after market company rebuilt them but stopped as they failed. Give us a part number they say you need and we can help you better. Always love a service department that wants to sell you something they cannot get , HAHAH

975 for a gasket leak would buy me a bunch of engine washes and a 1/2 pint of oil over a couple years until it really failed and needed it. We have 4 08s and none of them from 30k to 145k have any leaks except the lower cover and oil pan front on one

Last edited:
Don’t know about parts availability but those are common leak areas & those price quotes are about right. We had to have a similar repair on our XLR-V at about 20k miles (8-9 years old), & on the base at about 40k (probably needed it done sooner). Northstars leak oil to mark their territory against intruders!

if you are talking about the cam actuators on the front of the engine ? they are about 40$ each for 4 and I think they pay about 1.5 hours to replace all four. I used to replace those on the 04 and 05 years ago but have not seen the newer ones leak as bad as the old ones did. Would really like to see how they break the 1600 down. I might catch a flight and come out and replace all four of those for under a grand and throw in the valve cover gaskets for free. I have seen them leak around the gaskets but some people have them leak into the wiring connector. I thought they redesigned them in 07 .

2008 CADILLAC XLR 4.6L V8 Variable Valve Timing (VVT) Solenoid / Actuator | RockAuto

I found this from a XLR master tech on another sight

"I unplugged the harness from the sensors, removed the sensors, sprayed them good with contact cleaner and compressed air, and reinstalled them. That was a couple of years ago. No problems since and it didn't take a half hour."

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back