Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Cant locate noise

TracyRGraham

My XLR/V(s)
2009 Red XLRV
08 year. I have a noise that I can’t locate. It is not road related, i.e. not a ratel. It sounds like it may be coming from inside or under the right side of the dash. But get this the noise is made by putting torque on the drive train. Thought it was something in the exhaust like a catalytic converter but no. And it is not a constant noise, again only when accelerating or holding the brake and giving it gas in gear. Driving me nuts!

rattles and water leaks can drive you batty and are so simple to fix once you find them but it can take a lot to locate it. I would have guessed inside the cat but they usually sound like marbles rattling around when they start to go. got nothing on this one. sorry

I had a mystery noise similar to yours-- when applying torque---it seemed to be coming from "everywhere." At times, it sounded as if a brake pad were dragging, a worried about a transmission flex plate-- . Finally narrowed it down to the serpentine belt! But even then, my talented independent garage owner who is knowledgeable about Corvettes told me that it might be a pulley bearing, so he wanted to make sure that I was not disappointed if the belt replacement did not silence the noise. When he sprayed the belt and assembly with belt dressing, it would silence the noise for a brief minute or two. So he changed the belt--- and it turned into a two person job taking the better part of a day. However, it was indeed the belt, and my XLR is sumptuously silent again... James

Hi Tracy.

''Holding the brakes and giving it gas'' means that your car is stop, it has to be the engine as this is the only organ of the car that is in motion.

This could also make noise when driving, James as a good point, it could be the engine belts not properly aligned by the tensioners or the old belts life ended, or a poor bearing of the generator ( alternator )

I had this problem previously and the dealer made the corrections.

IAN :wave:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back