Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Clean and wax recommendations needed

kurtzr

My XLR/V(s)
I've owned my 2005 xlr for about 9 months now. Beginning to think I should have bought a car cover. My car sits in a driveway exposed to rain, snow, bird dirt, tree sap, pollen, etc. The horizontal surfaces have a fair amount of marks that don't come out with a good washing. What is the best way to clean the surface before applying a good coat of wax, and what brand of wax is preferred for this vehicle?

Kurtzr, Last winter I had my paint stained after using a car cover. It had rained and when I took the cover off it was not very good. Next Fall I will take the car to a detail shop and have it fixed. I would suggest you try and stay away from covers. As far as what you should use to clean your car I will leave that to others to comment on.
John F.

Short answer is Zaino.
Long answer is Zaino. You have a lot of crud that's stuck on the paint that washing just will not take off. You need to wash it, dry it, use a clay bar and Zaino detail spray to remove the crud. Re-wash the car. Apply Zaino Z-5 sealant, 2 or 3 layers is good, 4-5 layers is better. You'll have a better protected car and with regular washings won't have the crud buildup. If you have swirls in the paint, that's another step before applying the Z-5.

Kurtzr, Last winter I had my paint stained after using a car cover. It had rained and when I took the cover off it was not very good. Next Fall I will take the car to a detail shop and have it fixed. I would suggest you try and stay away from covers. As far as what you should use to clean your car I will leave that to others to comment on.
John F.
My car sits outside year round with a car cover and a tarp covering it. Never had any issues with the paint nor shine.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

clean and wax

I use extra soap in the wash water. Clean an area and then use the clay bar to clean the surface while the car is soapy and wet. Works very well without have to wash and dry and then spend the extra money on a detail spay that doesn`t always lubicate the surface well enough to keep the clay bar from leaving streak of clay on the paint. Its works well.....just one step, instead of 2 or more.

It's really not "extra" money you will spend on detail spray. Use it after washing to perk up the shine. Money well spent

https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/cadillac-xlr-general-discussion/10657-clean-and-wax-recommendations-needed.html

I like Nu Finish (Orange Bottle) fast and easy with a great shine :cool::cool::cool:

clean and wax

Yes, detailer spray will perk up your shine after a car washing but, its not a good lubricator for claying a painted surface. The car has to be clean before you can clay bar the car, I just combine both processes into one. By the way, claying your car will remove the wax so, you will have to wax the car when you are done.

Yes, detailer spray will perk up your shine after a car washing but, its not a good lubricator for claying a painted surface. The car has to be clean before you can clay bar the car, I just combine both processes into one. By the way, claying your car will remove the wax so, you will have to wax the car when you are done.

Potato/potahto
you have your way, I have mine

I would just like to add about the clay bar. If you drop it on the ground, throw it out. It WILL pick up tiny bits of grit and that grit will grind swirls and lines in your paint that will be there for ever.

Tree Sap Romoval

I've owned my 2005 xlr for about 9 months now. Beginning to think I should have bought a car cover. My car sits in a driveway exposed to rain, snow, bird dirt, tree sap, pollen, etc. The horizontal surfaces have a fair amount of marks that don't come out with a good washing. What is the best way to clean the surface before applying a good coat of wax, and what brand of wax is preferred for this vehicle?

WD 40 will remove tree sap very nicely! Wet a soft cloth with it and rub it gently.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom