Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Clean & Preserve

6444johnf

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2008 XLR
I’m planning on spending a week going over my X and I’m looking for advice or guidance on cleaning & preserving the underside of this fantastic automobile. My X is a 2008 with 14,000 miles that I think was driven by a smaller person, from the automatic seats, and was not driven in the rain as there is only dust on the undercarriage. At this point the only thing this car has experienced is an oil change and I can’t find even a stone chip on her! On the bare aluminum and steel casting I torn on how to clean and “preserve” the like new appearance. The last thing I want to do is to use a WD-40 and have more dust accumulate on the “sticky” surface. Most importantly I don’t want to have the part’s labels come off of the various components on the underside.

Ask 05 granddaddy. He uses zano (spelled that wrong I think) or phred, and cclarke just to name a few. These guys and others too on here really go out of their way to search the web for the best cleaners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ask 05 granddaddy. He uses zano (spelled that wrong I think) or phred, and cclarke just to name a few. These guys and others too on here really go out of their way to search the web for the best cleaners.

I BELIVE he's speaking of the underside of the car ? Mine a daily driver an gets a underside wash when she goes thru a thou touch less drive thru at almost 82k I don't worry about the underside. Now yes the paint get "ZAINOS" products for look like brand new but there is a lot of great product out there! I also use a product called Rejex excellent on the wheels I even put atop coat all over the car after it's waxed to protect from bird dripping marks and bugs come off easier!

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Clean the Under Side

I BELIVE he's speaking of the underside of the car ? Mine a daily driver an gets a underside wash when she goes thru a thou touch less drive thru at almost 82k I don't worry about the underside. Now yes the paint get "ZAINOS" products for look like brand new but there is a lot of great product out there! I also use a product called Rejex excellent on the wheels I even put atop coat all over the car after it's waxed to protect from bird dripping marks and bugs come off easier!

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

05 Grand Daddy is correct I'm going to clean the underside!

Rejex would be a great choice for the aluminum and steel castings. After you apply it and let it 'haze" you can wipe it down and give to 10-12 hours to cure. Nothing will stick to it and you can just wipe or hose it down. Been using it on my inner wheels for a couple years and it works great. I'm going to try it on my inner exhaust tips on both V's to see if it keeps the 'soot' off of them--provided I can stay out of the cars that long! :laugh::laugh:

I’m planning on spending a week going over my X and I’m looking for advice or guidance on cleaning & preserving the underside of this fantastic automobile. My X is a 2008 with 14,000 miles that I think was driven by a smaller person, from the automatic seats, and was not driven in the rain as there is only dust on the undercarriage. At this point the only thing this car has experienced is an oil change and I can’t find even a stone chip on her! On the bare aluminum and steel casting I torn on how to clean and “preserve” the like new appearance. The last thing I want to do is to use a WD-40 and have more dust accumulate on the “sticky” surface. Most importantly I don’t want to have the part’s labels come off of the various components on the underside.

Rejex would be a great choice for the aluminum and steel castings. After you apply it and let it 'haze" you can wipe it down and give to 10-12 hours to cure. Nothing will stick to it and you can just wipe or hose it down. Been using it on my inner wheels for a couple years and it works great. I'm going to try it on my inner exhaust tips on both V's to see if it keeps the 'soot' off of them--provided I can stay out of the cars that long! :laugh::laugh:

Looks like some really unique stuff! The right thing to do is to start with "Xtreme Clean" and follow up a day later with the "Rejex" then allow the cure time. I think I can do the entire underside, except the rotors, and have a really clean car. My concern is the exisiting part number identification on the subcomponets as I do want to retain them. Hate the thought of getting rid of part number identification or using some variety of long duration super scotch tape. Maybe I'm trying too hard to keep the X as perfect as it was going onto the truck in Bowling Green!

Thanks Chubby

Looks like some really unique stuff! The right thing to do is to start with "Xtreme Clean" and follow up a day later with the "Rejex" then allow the cure time. I think I can do the entire underside, except the rotors, and have a really clean car. My concern is the exisiting part number identification on the subcomponets as I do want to retain them. Hate the thought of getting rid of part number identification or using some variety of long duration super scotch tape. Maybe I'm trying too hard to keep the X as perfect as it was going onto the truck in Bowling Green!

Thanks Chubby

A bit of friendly advice for the newbie...... Check Cubby's handle, sans H.

I assumed you would clean the undercarriage beforehand. I also you the Xtreme Clean. I have a coupe bottles mixed up at different 'strengths' depending on what I'm trying to accomplish. It is a great degreaser!

Thanks Cubby

I assumed you would clean the undercarriage beforehand. I also you the Xtreme Clean. I have a coupe bottles mixed up at different 'strengths' depending on what I'm trying to accomplish. It is a great degreaser!
My thoughts were to get the X on four jack stands and completely address the underside with "Xtreme Clean" then give a full day for everything to dry and proceed to "RejeX". My dilemma is what to do about the parts identification, like on the shock absorbers, I do not want them damaged or fall off from my efforts. Do you think GM sells a complete decal set or am I over thinking the cars underside?

My thoughts were to get the X on four jack stands and completely address the underside with "Xtreme Clean" then give a full day for everything to dry and proceed to "RejeX". My dilemma is what to do about the parts identification, like on the shock absorbers, I do not want them damaged or fall off from my efforts. Do you think GM sells a complete decal set or am I over thinking the cars underside?

I really doubt that GM sells a decal set - it's hard enough to get functional parts for these cars sometimes! You might just have to take it slow & do the decals by hand. Try some waterless wash & gently clean on & around them. Slow ... but safe.

That's the technique I've used on cleaning my engine - NO WAY am I gonna spray water or anything else in there with all the sensors & electronics, even with covering things up. Better safe than sorry.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom