Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Coolant leak

XFireXLR

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Gold Mist Met. XLR
Recently the "Low Coolant" warning came on in the DIC, checked and topped off the coolant...no more warning in the DIC. About 2 weeks later the warning appears again, and I repeat the above. I noticed each time that the level in the resevoirwas getting lower and lower from the previous time. Put a piece of cardboard under the car to see if that will help decipher where the leak is, and it seemed to be right of center of the engine, in the area of the water pump. Took the car to my GM dealer, who has been servicing the car exclusively since I purchased it from them. The could not get me in for at least 2 weeks, and I needed the car fixed sooner than later. Took the car to a friends shop who I have known for years and he was able to fit me in the next day. They pressure checked the engine and stated that coolant was leaking from the “weep hole” on the water pump and it needed to be replaced. The repair cost me $506.00 (non GM water pump) parts and labor. Took the car home and the next morning went out to check the coolant level and it was seriously low and had a puddle of coolant in the same area of the cardboard, before the repair. Took the car back the next and the tech pressure checked the system 4 times and could find the leak. It seems that the leak would only appear when the engine was cold, and he requested that I leave car overnight, which I did. The next morning the tech stated that the heater bypass hose from the pump was leaking. The owner of the shop showed me the hose, and for some reason there were 3 clamps on the hose, 2 OEM GM clamps and one screw type clamp (see picture below). I now think the tech was either lazy, inept or both forgot he slide the clamp down to remove the water pump and upon reinstallation put a screw clamp on insteda of sliding the OEM clamp back up. And this may have created a needless repair and cost me more money. Picked the car up last Friday and drove straight home about 10 miles and parked it. Check the coolant level Saturday, Sunday and Monday and no leak and the coolant level in the resevoir was at the proper level. On Tuesday I had to run a few errands (about 40 miles in total), I check the coolant level and it was correct and no leaks. I also checked the level periodically while running errand and everything was good, but noticed that car was running a bit hotter than before the water pump and hose installation. Also now my headlight washers are not working, but were working prior to the water pump/hose repair ( I know they are useless, but I would still like them to work.) The vonly other work that has been done was a new power steering rack that was done at the dealership, no problems there. Any help or insight will be greatly appreciated.

Pictures of coolant level and leak on cardboard before repair.
Initial resevoir level.jpg Intial Leak.jpg

Hose
Hose.jpg

Coolant level and cardboard after repair.
New leak resevoir.jpg Newc leak cardboard..jpg

the headlight washers I believe need to have the washer fluid up higher than the windshield washers. A major place for leaks on these cars is the coolant hose that runs from the reservoir under the mass airflow and over to the top of the radiator. There are two tees in that line and gm must have known they were going to fail. They made a really neat reinforcement on the elbows that keep the hose from completely detaching and holds it together even when the tee fitting disintegrates. Still available for about 90$ and also repairable with brass or stainless tees to replace the factory plastic ones. I would put this on my preventative maintenance list for winter

This is what accumulated after about 18 hours of sitting..........

Leak.jpg

take off your breather filter covers , undo the hose clamp on your mass air flow and remove the complete air cleaner assembly. You will find a hose under it that runs from the tank to the radiator and has one or two tees in it. It will most likely be leaking . A pressure check should easily show it. Because that hose connect above the water line on the tank it is not full of water all the time and leaks at various times.

10354454 - OEM GM HOSE GMPartsCenter.net

item number 19. comes all together from gm or get a 1/2 brass barbed tee and a couple hose clamps and repair yours. The hose size is actually 3/8 I think but the 1/2 is easier to find and fits nice and snug Pm me if you need help and I will show you the parts you need

Long Tall Sally......thanks for your responses, I will take a look. Ironically the system was pressure tested about 5 times in total.

It should have leaked pressure but maybe not fluid. The hose is sort of above the water level. However a pressure test should have located your leak. Keep it topped off. These cars can run warm on the best of times

My tee fell apart when touched. Mine was located just to the driver's side and just rearward of the radiator, clipped to the radiator trim. I had, as LongTall mentioned, two options. Because I was unable to locally obtain a proper 3/8x1/4x3/8 tee, I momentarily gave up and ordered a replacement assembly from an online Cadillac dealer. The assembly includes the three hoses and associated clamps. Shortly thereafter, someone posted a link for a proper brass fitting so I ordered two of those and cancelled the Cadillac part order. I still have one of the brass tees as I haven't been able to find where a second one is on my 04, but I did install the other one and then took the car on a 4,000 mile trip without issue, and I torture-tested the thing, too. Works perfectly, and I think it was $11. Just search Amazon for "3/8"x1/4"x3/8" tee" and it'll come up.

John B.

I have found that GM changed the size of the lines over the years plus added and extra line. I have fittings coming and will be making up kits so you have them once you get the leak or be ready for it. Just PM me and tell me the year and I will get back with you. 7-12$ depending on what year you have will cover my cost and shipping .

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom