Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Dead won't start

pollynh

My XLR/V(s)
2005 Silver XLR
My 2005 XLR has had to be towed twice in the last month. 1st time it turns over but does not start the 2nd time I was not able to push the break in to start it. Has anyone else had this problem? My mechanic says his computer shows several codes popping up.

Sorry to read you’re having problems, I’ve never had an issue with the brake as you said. I’ve have had a ground wire issue to the fuel pump. There is switch on the brake when start the car, that why you need to push on the brake to start, maybe the has gone bad.

Thanks
Caddy Dan using Tapatalk

Electrical problem

pollynh.

Ask your mechanic to supply you with the defectives codes.

On google ask for GM defective cadillac XLR and get to know what could be wrong with your XLR.

Good luck

IAN :dunno:

Thank you for the info but there are 30 to 40 codes that show up when it won't start.

The last time my battery died, I had about 15 codes show up, all low voltage to various sensors. Your mechanic should be able to distinguish those from others with a Tech II scanner. Did you check the battery? Even a weak battery that still tests OK for voltage will cause issues, it won’t develop enough amps to satisfy all of the sensors needed to operate the car. That has been one of the most common issues posted here. Short of that, if your mechanic has a Tech II, he should be able to tell if your brake pedal sensor is working or not. The car won’t start unless it sees your brake pedal depressed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for your reply. I had a new battery put in last year so I don't believe it's the battery. I'll have him check the brake sensor and again thank you

I am following this thread also. I just had my car die and towed back in February/March, had lots of helpful advice, unfortunately nothing worked. I did replace the battery with an Optima red top, but that still didn't start it. I sucked it up and had it towed to dealership, told it was a bad starter, and almost $1K later, got it back working. Now, less than six months later, exact same problem. Dead car, first started with changing key fob batteries, nothing. Decided to take the battery which was only 6 months old to get tested. Was told it was so dead it wouldn't even register on their voltage charger (name?). I believe I am guilty of not driving the car enough miles, I drive every day-however work 3 miles from home. Hurricane threatened last week so I drove my jeep for 3 days, then tried to get in Cad to no avail.
After I get the battery back fully charged, is there something else that has to be done before the car will start? Like a tech2 reset or something else technical I have no clue about?
Thanks for all the input on this forum!!!

I did put a new battery in last year don't believe that's the problem. Sometimes when it won't start it turns over fine, but just won't kick in?? Does not seem to be getting the fuel. Thanks for your input.

I am following this thread also. I just had my car die and towed back in February/March, had lots of helpful advice, unfortunately nothing worked. I did replace the battery with an Optima red top, but that still didn't start it. I sucked it up and had it towed to dealership, told it was a bad starter, and almost $1K later, got it back working. Now, less than six months later, exact same problem. Dead car, first started with changing key fob batteries, nothing. Decided to take the battery which was only 6 months old to get tested. Was told it was so dead it wouldn't even register on their voltage charger (name?). I believe I am guilty of not driving the car enough miles, I drive every day-however work 3 miles from home. Hurricane threatened last week so I drove my jeep for 3 days, then tried to get in Cad to no avail.
After I get the battery back fully charged, is there something else that has to be done before the car will start? Like a tech2 reset or something else technical I have no clue about?
Thanks for all the input on this forum!!!

Not sure about the not starting issue , but as far as the battery goes I plug mine into a battery tender pretty much everyday so I don't forget if I don't drive it for awhile .

Thanks for the reply

Polly, did you get any diagnosis on what is wrong with your car? I still haven't figured out what in the $%^^$ is going on with mine!!:mad: I have tried at least 10 different suggestions from this forum, nothing is working. I'm currently on the THIRD NEW Red top Optima battery since this FEBRUARY!!! What sucks is that when I had this problem last time, I eventually had it towed to the dealership, where they told me it was my starter. I don't get how a bad starter would cause my car to lose all power, but I'm a nurse, not a mechanic. So $1K later, it drives great- for 3 months. Now, I'm having the EXACT same problem I had earlier this year. EXACTLY the same. So, I'm super skeptical that the problem was just a bad starter. Something is draining my battery I guess-

My problem is I never know when it is going to start or not. This past Friday morning I push the button to start it turned over just fine but did not start, didn't seem to have any fuel although the tank was full. Saturday morning I push the button to start and it started. ??? Very very frustrating I never know when my car is or isn't going to start???

Hi Sorry to hear about your problem.....Have you done anything to check the Fuel Pump or the fuel line ?...You mention it's as if does not seem to be getting any fuel ...I did a thread awhile ago on a faulty fuel pump that would shut down on me while driving or prevent me from starting the car...perhaps even contaminants in the fuel line
I am not a mechanic...just a thought from my experience.....May be something to check out.....
Please follow thru and let the forum know the outcome...

Cranking but wont started

pollynh.

On your dash cluster some defectives codes should be shown.

Go on the Web and ask for Cadillac XLR defectives codes, a widow will show you the possibles problems .

If this iis a fuel punp,control module or the engine module,,,,please call your dealer for having your XLR scanned.

A Cadillac dealer or a trusted Chevrolet dealer that has or is selling many corvettes, it is a wise choice as they have the proper tools and trained mechanics.

If you are a fine DIYer check the fuses under the hood ( see the check list on the opening fuse box panel) Also do the same at passenger side floor under the foot carpet.

Good luck.

IAN:wave:

Hi, It’s sounds like the same problem I had, it’s an easy and cheap fix! Only it cost me 1200$ before I found this out. If it’s the same as mine it’s just a ground too the fuel pump. See pictures below for the simple fix! Good Luck
1abfbd41cb6cd497db01ec325af81f01.plist

653fbd892ff2329f862cb32c41de7ccb.plist

0378d55cef47345e839f6356fa25f77c.plist

Thanks
Caddy Dan using Tapatalk

Will show this to my mechanic tomorrow hopefully this will be my fix also thank you

Hi .Wondering if your mechanic was able to help you resolve your issue....Be helpful to others here for a follow up...

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom