Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Deck lid lift supports removal and installation

Bill S.

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 V, Raven Black with Shale interior
Hey

So I bought two of the Stabilus lift supports SG330112 from Rock Auto for 29 bucks and change (which included shipping) for the rear deck lid. They had 3 left. Got 2 of them. They are listed as SACHS but arrived as Stabilus. Just checked . Now they have 12 remaining.

Figured could just swap them out, 1, 2, 3. Want to get a starting point on these things, so don't have a failure, unanticipated. Do not know the status of the current ones in the car. Started with the passenger side, cause it was more accessible. Propped up the rear deck lid, got the current support unconnected on the top and then the bottom. Easy enough. Put the bottom on. Went to do the top. Ain't NO WAY. Built a compression tool, ....welded some aluminum stock up; dimpled the foot end and the floater plate, threaded the top end and was able to compress the new Stabilus lift shock in place and got it in and buttoned up. Did not have to remove any trim. With the tool, a ten minute job that side.

That won't be the case for the driver's side. Need to ensure I don't encroach on or mess with any of the various hydraulic lines and the like.

How exactly do you remove the driver's side trim?

Seems like a lot has to come out, like the whole driver's side trim. Is that the case? Anyone here give me a hint on what is involved in clearing out the trim panels? With that all out of the way, can access the lift shock with my tool and maybe modify it to be able to snake it in and do the job without having to remove the trim. ...............next time???

Bill

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry