Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Door button quit

CtCarGuy

HELP! the push button for opening the driver door has been acting up and now decided to reseed into the panel. I loosened the edges of the panel and removed the window, mirror panel. I cannot find the screws! All the videos (none for xlr) show access panels with the screws behind them. OK what is the trick? I am using the floor lever to open the door temporarily.
2006 XLR

I pushed too hard on the passenger door and pushed the switch assembly past its stops. Had to disassemble the door, and used the Chilton on-line manual to do so. A couple of things I remember:
1. "Popping" the inside door panel with its plastic retainers required a chisel and a ball pein hammer. I would suggest starting at the bottom of the door where the damage to the door panel will only be visible only to road kill and only if you stop to pick it up.
2. Once the panel is loose, the instructions say to move it downward to disconnect from some angled metal pieces at the top of the door. Be advised that there may be an additional plastic retainer stuck in the door. That retainer, at the rear endo of the door needs to have the door panel moved further downward to disengage.

Good luck.

Hi,
There's a couple of screws hiding on the back side of the pull-handle. I think it was a rubber or such cover you need to pull off first. You'd need a stubby screwdriver or maybe even just the 'bit' from one to get the handle off.

You would do well to have a fresh switch on-hand prior. If it's causing you grief like that, it's not going to get any better - just change it out and you'll be right as rain.

Removing the entire door panel, there's a couple of screws vertical, in that same 'hand grip' area, just under a layer of rubber. You should also have a screw behind the door light at the bottom. Pull the light assembly, find the screw (it will be towards the forward part of that opening).

You don't need a hammer and chisel, matter of fact, just get a 'panel clip tool', make one, or if you happen to have small hands, starting at the bottom, you can usually tug the panel free a bit at a time.

Work your way to the top, double check you got 'em all, and the entire door panel can be lifted -up- and off, minding all the wiring of course. You certainly don't need to pull the entire panel to access that switch.

Good luck! HTH!

Gord

Oops! Forgot something. The Chilton manual instructs you to turn the door courtesy light 90 degrees in its mount to permit access to a bolt. OK, but when you replace the panel, make sure the courtesy light is completely on the passenger's side of the panel. Or you will be sorry.

I stand corrected - you do move the panel up to release the panel from the top metal angle. However, I did have the nice plastic upholstery removal tools and my XLS was wholly unimpressed. I needed a hammer and a chisel. YMMV.

Had the same problem with the starter button and door button. The switches are held in by tiny clips and the part on the panel seem to break. Starter switch was easy. I put a little hot glue on the latches to make sure it would stay. The door panel came off easy. The switch is wedged in a small opening. With a lot of wiggling,I got it out. Switch tested OK. The real challenge is getting it back in. I spent hours trying to get it in and in place. I finally cut away some of the back panel to gain access. The plate with the window switches needed to be removed for access. After lots of tries I got it in position but it would not snap in securely. Out came the hot glue. Works great and if need be, it can be pealed off. I want to meet the engineers who do tases designs and challenge them to replace a part.

the white plastic clips that hold the door panel in place are very strong. when you put it back on thy will almost fall back into place but they need a good bit of force to pull them off the door. have a rag or something to put under the panel so that as you release them and work around they don't fall back in place and you have to start all over again. Its not unusual to break on or two but you can get them off as stated. start at a bottom corner and get your fingers between the door and panel and pull towards you. The best clip tool is a spreader type for these clips

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom