Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Driver Side Power Window Issue

ckrause333

My XLR/V(s)
Black 2007 XLR
Out of the blue - my driver's side window automatically rolls down as soon as it rolls up to the close position.

Anybody have any experience with this issue? Thanks

ckrause333@cox.net

Run the window all the way down and hold the button about 10 seconds longer, than run the window all the way up and again hold the button 10 seconds longer than the window reaching the top. This usually needs to be done any time battery is disconnected.

Window indexing stores the upper and lower travel limits for each window in the door modules that control each side. You need only continue to press the switch for five seconds at the upper and lower travel limits to enter the value. If the battery is disconnected or discharged, the windows will need to be re-indexed.

Properly indexed windows serve three purposes:

1) Allow the express up/down functions to work.

2) Sets the distance the window travels when a door is opened and closed.

3) Allows the Folding Top to operate. (Knowing the position of the windows is the first check made by the Folding Top Control module.)

CC :wave:

Just to elaborate a bit, our windows automatically retract if it senses something is obstructing it. I found this out the other day first hand when my Brother, in the passenger seat, had his hand wrapped around the windshield sill and I raised his window for him. After a very descriptive diatribe of why he suggested that I not do that again, which included just a few four letter words, the window automatically retracted when it sensed his hand between the window and windshield. It is a good thing that we had just finished the second stop on the Kentucky Bourbon trail...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
From owner's manual:

Power Window Initialize
After a power reconnect such as battery replacement,
the express-up and index-up features will not function
until the system is initialized. Once power is restored,
do the following:
1. Close the door.
2. Raise the window by holding the up arrow on the
power window switch.
3. Hold the up arrow for three seconds after the
window is closed. Release the switch. Then hold the
up arrow again for three seconds.
The express-up system must be initialized to operate
the windows with the door open.
Express-Down Window
This feature is on both power windows. Press the down
arrow on the switch to the second position to activate
the express-down feature. If you want to stop the
window as it is lowering, press the switch again.
Express-Up Window
This feature is on both power windows. Press the up
arrow on the switch to the second position to activate the
express-up feature. If you want to stop the window as
it is raising, press the switch again.
Express Window Anti-Pinch Feature
If any object is in the path of the window when
the express-up is active, the window will stop at the
obstruction and auto-reverse to a preset factory position.
Weather conditions such as severe icing may also
cause the window to auto-reverse. The window
will return to normal operation once the obstruction or
condition is removed.
Express Window Anti-Pinch Override
In an emergency, the anti-pinch feature can be
overridden in a supervised mode. Hold the window
switch all the way down in the express position.
The window will rise for as long as the switch is held.
Once the switch is released, the express mode is
re-activated.
In this mode, the window can still close on an object in
its path. Use care when using the override mode.

I just purchased a 2006 XLR and love it I am quickly learning a lot about it. Not your usual car. I had the same problem with my side passenger door window. I had to put it up and then lower it a bit so the door would open and close as the automatic window adjustment would not function. The door pad to open the door was not working correctly. You had to play with it to find the exact spot that would open the door. I replaced the pad (about $15.00 at a Cadillac dealer) It took only a few minutes. Two small screws and a modular plug to plug it into. The door nows opens easily and the Windows work great. The window drops down a bit when you open the door and goes up a bit when you close it. Changing out the door pad worked for me. Hope this long tale helps. Let us know and good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm a new owner of a 2006 XLR-V and absolutely love the car. "Love" is a good thing because I'm quickly realizing there are quirks and issues that pop up out of nowhere. Yesterday my drivers side window went up all the way, but then immediately dropped down about half way. I cycled through many times including opening and closing the roof twice thinking something may not have been aligned correctly. Frustrated because of no obvious issue I ran my fingers through the weather stripping. No obstructions and the rubber was not fused together, but the next attempt worked. Just sharing in case this helps someone else. This forum is great. Tremendous resource and I appreciate the info you guys share. Thanks, Jerry

I'm a new owner of a 2006 XLR-V and absolutely love the car. "Love" is a good thing because I'm quickly realizing there are quirks and issues that pop up out of nowhere. Yesterday my drivers side window went up all the way, but then immediately dropped down about half way. I cycled through many times including opening and closing the roof twice thinking something may not have been aligned correctly. Frustrated because of no obvious issue I ran my fingers through the weather stripping. No obstructions and the rubber was not fused together, but the next attempt worked. Just sharing in case this helps someone else. This forum is great. Tremendous resource and I appreciate the info you guys share. Thanks, Jerry

My passenger window does that periodically for no apparent reason. I just go through the window indexing procedure in the manual and it behaves itself for many months (hope I’m not jinxing myself). Give that a shot.

And yes, much as I absolutely adore my XLR, they definitely have quirks, especially at 10+ years old. Usually whatever it is passes & all is well (fortunately). It’s taught me a lot of patience & tolerance dealing with “modern” infotainment systems, all of which have their glitches as well.

Need to index your windows, I think. I get this a lot on my '05 XLR (with almost 220K miles). Just press the window buttons up and hold them for a count of 10 or so. Then press the window buttons down and hold them for a count of 10 or so. That should do it. Usually have to do this whenever the battery is disconnected. Good luck. Enjoy your new-to-you XLR. :)

Thanks for the reply. I hope that's not it but if it is I found this: CarParts.com: Site Maintenance
Just replaced the driver's side regulator.. It took about 4 hours. Buy a panel kit if you don't have one. It's cheap
Instructions here- Cadillac Workshop Manuals > XLR V8-4.6L VIN A (2006) > Windows and Glass > Windows > Window Regulator > Front Door Window Regulator > System Information > Service and Repair > Door Window Components > Page 4631
I got the regulator off of Amazon

GM Genuine Parts 20823059 Front Driver Side Power Window Regulator and Motor Assembly

$327.87

Hope this helps

i replace my window motor regulator from junk yard. now cant open the door from outside or inside. no courtsy light and remonte mirrows wont work.

You can get it open by either coming in from passenger side and pulling the emergency release down he t to seat or going in thru the truck and pulling the emergency release cable in the trunk. Once open you have something inside the door unplugged or either the main harness may be unplugged. Also you could have a bad unit from the junk yard.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom