Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Drivers side door courtesy light issue....

XFireXLR

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Gold Mist Met. XLR
This is the reason why I always have the dealer or a mechanic handle my modifications. Today I was going to change all my interior bulbs to LED's, took the drivers door courtesy light lens off without a problem. When I attempted to remove the bulb, the bulb fell out of the housing and into the door. :mad: If that was not enough, the entire lamp housimg fell into the door also. :pat: Question is there any way of getting the housing out without removing the door panel. :dunno:

light

Can you take a wire coat hanger, make a tool out of it to reach inside the door to grab the light housing up to where you fish it out by hand? I know you gots skills.

Can you take a wire coat hanger, make a tool out of it to reach inside the door to grab the light housing up to where you fish it out by hand? I know you gots skills.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I do have skills just not related to cars. Unfortunately it appears at least from what I can see, the housing is mounted from the back using 4 pressure clips. Most of the cars that I have owned the door lights were always mounted from the from front and recessed into the door panel. In our cars it seems that the housing is mounted from the back, I can see the housing it's just pushed back and not down. From what I can tell there is no way to grab the housing and pull it forward, regardless the bulb and socket are behind it hanging down.

:cool:

Go ahead and take the door panel off. It will take you less time than you think. There are only a couple of screws holding it on. Take the screws out, pull the panel away from the door, and lift it up and/or off. (the clips that hold the panel on are the REUSEABLE type and aren't cold, slow torture like the old Christmas Tree-style ones). Voila! You're done!

Took my XLR to my mechanic this morning and was able to get the courtesy light back into the proper place. Now the light does not work, it was working prior to my attempt at removing the bulb. The tech checked the bulb and circuit and now there is no power to light. :dunno: He also checked all the fuses and they are fine and the passenger door courtesy light is working properly. So tomorrow I will be taking a trip to the dealer. :pat:

My car is back from the dealer and the courtesy light housing had to be replaced. While I was there I had them check the CD changer for intermittent skipping. Decision was made that the CD/NAV/Radio unit needs to be replaced under warranty at a cost of $2200.00 to GM/Cadillac. :rocker:

My door light also fell in my door

Looks like I'm taking the door off to fetch it.. I was trying to put LEDs in. Thanks for the rope trick, I will try it tomorrow. I couldn't get the bulbs out of the mirror!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom