Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

DRL’s.

BobbyT

My XLR/V(s)
2005 Black XLR
Had the headlight assembly removed. Took the drl lens out. Replaced all the lights with LEDs Looks good. Happy camper now!

Do you have a picture? I would like to see the lights

Yesterday I did the same drl lens removal reported by BobbyT. I think it looks fine and others can now clearly see my daytime running lamps and turn signals. Took me about 45 minutes to do both sides. drl lens.jpg

Last edited:
Hello PLH,
I don’t know how to send pictures. My XLR looks the same as kurtzr. Makes the car look much better than the burnt lense.

How is the DRL lens removed?

This is what BobbyT told me, and it worked for me although I did not need to have a body shop remove the headlights. "I had the body shop remove the headlight assembles. My DRL’s were cracked, yellow and brittle. I removed the light sockets and was able to pop the drl lenses into the the main housing. Took a pair of wire cutters and needle nose pliers to pull the broken pieces thru the socket hole. I attached a straw to a dry vac and sucked up the chips." With the light socket removed, you can push the lens out with a screwdriver and a little pressure. If your lenses are severely melted, they might even break into pieces when you try to push them out.

Good luck

This is what BobbyT told me, and it worked for me although I did not need to have a body shop remove the headlights. "I had the body shop remove the headlight assembles. My DRL’s were cracked, yellow and brittle. I removed the light sockets and was able to pop the drl lenses into the the main housing. Took a pair of wire cutters and needle nose pliers to pull the broken pieces thru the socket hole. I attached a straw to a dry vac and sucked up the chips." With the light socket removed, you can push the lens out with a screwdriver and a little pressure. If your lenses are severely melted, they might even break into pieces when you try to push them out.

Good luck

Thank you, I had the headlight assembly out a few weeks ago to fix a bulb, I assumed the DRL lens was part of the housing. I will have to give this a try.

Hello Vetter,
I took the light socket out. Punched the lens out with a screwdriver. My lenses were burnt and cracked. It was easy to pop them out.

be careful bouncing the pieces around inside the light trying to break them up. They will scratch the chrome refector easily and make it look bad . this mostly works with lens that are really cracked bad. Meanwhile I have a perfect headlight that had the lens pop out in shipping that I am trying to suck back into place and snap it in..HAHA

I don't know why someone have not thought about this already. It sounds hard to me. My problem is that my passenger side is burnt and yellow and the drivers side is not.
I have an 2006 light and cable but it has a scratch on the lenses
If I get brave enough I might try the lens removal on the one side. I guess you take the inner fender wells out and unbolt the light.

the headlight is really easy to remove . Just drop the front splash shield ,reach In and locate the 3 10mm nuts pointed straight up and then lift the light out. If you have one good lens It will be hard to break it up into small pieces to remove. I still like my replacement lens for the money and keeps the car looking proper.

What light bulbs does it take or these lights? Running light bulb ad turn signal light bulb. And I am not sure what bulb is the main headlight and how do you get it in?
Thanks, my turn signal light is out and I do not know what bulb replaces it

Yesterday I did the same drl lens removal reported by BobbyT. I think it looks fine and others can now clearly see my daytime running lamps and turn signals. Took me about 45 minutes to do both sides.View attachment 9021

Last edited:
Sally,
Can you open one of these headlight up and replace the DRL Lens? If so ,I need to have you fix my headlight and not use the 06 model with the scratched lens.
Thanks

the headlight is really easy to remove . Just drop the front splash shield ,reach In and locate the 3 10mm nuts pointed straight up and then lift the light out. If you have one good lens It will be hard to break it up into small pieces to remove. I still like my replacement lens for the money and keeps the car looking proper.

What light bulbs does it take or these lights? Running light bulb ad turn signal light bulb. And I am not sure what bulb is the main headlight and how do you get it in?
Thanks,

Long tall sally's post above describes how to remove the headlight unit. The DRL/Turn signal bulb is originally a 3457A bulb. I replaced mine with Sylvania LED 3157A bulbs, which do cause hyperflash which doesn't bother me or the local police. Hyperflash when converting to LED's can be corrected by adding a resistor. Thar process has been covered in other DRL threads on this forum.

Sally,
Can you open one of these headlight up and replace the DRL Lens? If so ,I need to have you fix my headlight and not use the 06 model with the scratched lens.
Thanks

Have you tried anywhere to have the scratch polished out, if it’s not too deep, and I’m assuming it’s scratched on the outside of the lens, it’s possible it may not be noticeable as much or maybe even at all? If you want to try it yourself the a product called Novus especially made for plastics and they have a heavier grit you use before the fine grit. I did my lens and l have used on bad headlight lens and it polished them up like new! Works better and faster with a small buffing machine or drill kit to polish with. Good Luck [emoji256]
7878e65ac71276b48f33e39742e61679.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002UCYRZU/ref=cm_sw_r_em_api_i_c_nimHDb6EZK538

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I will give it a try. Thanks for your help. The scratch is not very bad now. Maybe this product will take care of it.
Thanks, Phil

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back