Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

dumb question-stupid answer?

nvme

My XLR/V(s)
i have a 2008 xlr base and i live alone:: dumb question is; does anyone knows how i can check if my back-up lights work or not? they only come on when the engine is running and in reverse. the parking brake only works when in 'park' or 'neutral' and the it releases in drive or reverse--and it dosen't do anything in 'acc. mode':: stupid answer is; i put 2x4's under the 4 wheels and barely release the foot brake and it held but i was too chicken to get out of the car and go to the rear with it running. the problem is if i do it with the garage door closed the brake lights overpower the back-up lights and i can't see any back-up lights lit, as it does when i back up in the street. don't say find someone to check it-:(- i don't know anyone:dunno:. by the way--how many lights are there? i have 6 i think, i.e. 4 on the side of the license plate [one above the other on both sides] and 1 each on the inside of both brake lights about 1'' wide. i tried useing a mirror but i only can tell the two top lights are on [both sides of the license plate] work,maybe that is why i can't tell when i back up. thanks for any suggestions:blinzel:.

i have a 2008 xlr base and i live alone:: dumb question is; does anyone knows how i can check if my back-up lights work or not? they only come on when the engine is running and in reverse. the parking brake only works when in 'park' or 'neutral' and the it releases in drive or reverse--and it dosen't do anything in 'acc. mode':: stupid answer is; i put 2x4's under the 4 wheels and barely release the foot brake and it held but i was too chicken to get out of the car and go to the rear with it running. the problem is if i do it with the garage door closed the brake lights overpower the back-up lights and i can't see any back-up lights lit, as it does when i back up in the street. don't say find someone to check it-:(- i don't know anyone:dunno:. by the way--how many lights are there? i have 6 i think, i.e. 4 on the side of the license plate [one above the other on both sides] and 1 each on the inside of both brake lights about 1'' wide. i tried useing a mirror but i only can tell the two top lights are on [both sides of the license plate] work,maybe that is why i can't tell when i back up. thanks for any suggestions:blinzel:.

have you tried putting it in reverse in ACC mode? In cars with a key, things like backup lights will work with key 'on' but engine not running.

If not...find a glass store front, put the back towards the window, look for the reflection in the glass

Go to an store front with lots of windows. Back into the parking space and watch your lights on the window reflection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Block wheels press acc button hold until dash lights come on and everything is powered up. Put in reverse and check backup lights, you can also put a 2x4 from brake peddle to seat and check brake lights too.

dumb question-stupid answer

thanks for the suggestion however i did what tiger and steve answered and it work fine. by the way that question was ask was a year ago i.e. 2017 but thanks again for your help.

Don't you have a friend or neighbor who could stand behind the car while checking?

Put a chair or a ladder behind the car with a mirror piece on it at dark,,,, put in reverse without backing up and look in your rear view or side mirror to see if you
can see the backup lights reflection in the mirror.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom