Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

News: Electric Problems resolved--------For Now

A

aRTHUR7

Last month I wrote about problems I had with my 2009 Platinum XLR.

The headlights would not come on when the car was hot. Since the car is still under warrantee, I returned it to the dealer. They kept the car for a few days and replaced a headlight module. I took the car home and as I entered my garage, which was dark, the headlights did not come on. Back to the dealer the next day. This time they threw 3 computers at the car. They had the car for 2 weeks this time. Before I left the dealer, I tried to manually turn on the headlights. Again, they did not work. This time they had left the car out in the sun for a few hours before I got there and the car heated up. It is black and attracts heat. I refused to take the car. They put a technition on the car right then and he proceeded to continuity check the wireing harness looking for power to the lights.

He found power going into the fuse block that controls the headlights, but, none coming out. What was happening was that when the car heated up the fuse block woud expand and break the connection. When it cooled the connection was made again and everything would work correctly.

Replace the fuse block. Problem solved. Not Quite. Now the cruise control didn't work. After a few more days, during which they replaced the body control module, I went to get the car back and found that it had been scratched on the left front fender before and after the wheel well. They were able to polish out the scratches and I got the car the next day.

This has been a very frustrating experience for everyone. An intermitant problem is very difficult to diagnos. The dealer involved was very sincere in wanting to get the car fixed. They wanted me to have the car as much as I wanted it.

Everything is working now and I am at last enjoying my car.

Thanks for the update, the information may be helpful to someone else down the road. It's good to hear that you are enjoying your XLR. :wave:

I am having the same problem. Headlights turn on and work in the morning when cool; will not turn on when the car is heated up. Did replacing the fuse block correct the problem long term?

This post is from 8 years ago and I don’t think that they participate in the forum any longer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back