Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Electric Starter keeps running after engine starts??

catcottf

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 Light Platinum
Hi All,
Good afternoon. Just another day in Paradise. Went on a road trip this weekend. One time tried to start and starter would not kick in. Today when I started the engine the starter would not stop running when the engine started. Has anyone had this issue? What is the resolve. Thanks, Fred

starter

sounds like the solenoid is sticking. No experience yet on this car but you can replace just the solenoid but usually easier and cheaper to get a new starter

Starter Replaced

Hi MickeyTee,
Good morning from the Lake of the Ozarks. Just another sunny day in Paradise. Thanks and you were correct. I had the starter replaced at the local Cadillac Dealer. New to me but found out the starter is located under the intake manifold. What a wonderful engineering design........ Ha! I did have the entire starter assemble replaced. Thanks and have a wonderful day.
Fred

ouch

That sounds to me like a thousand dollar repair at the dealer. I hate all the new cars from 2015 to today. They all stop and start every time you stop at a light.. There is no way they can convince me that a starter will last doing that. I counted a short trip in my son in laws new BMW 65 times the engine started in just a 10 mile in town trip. That's more than I start my old truck in a week or two. I can change the starter in it for 100$ in 30 minutes. The BMW is closer to 1500$. Ouch. This hi tech is killing me.

Starter Replaced

Hoi MickeyTee,
Good morning from the Lake of the Ozarks. Just another sunny day in Paradise. Well, I have an extended warranty thru Delta Auto. The entire bill was $560.00 and the cost to me was $160.00 for the starter replacement. I agree about the old cars. I have a 68 Camaro with a 350 and a 56 Chevy with a 396 and it takes about 15 minutes to change out a starter. The engineers have not figured out that someone has to work/replace these items at some point. They should make every design engineer install and or replace every item they come up with.... That would be fun to watch for sure. These guys are so paper smart but have no, repeat No! common sense... Take care and have a wonderful day.
Fred

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back