Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Factory Stereo no sound

jts442

My XLR/V(s)
2006 Cadillac XLR - Base
Hello all, I hope someone out there can help me out with a situation that I unfortunately brought on myself.
I just purchased a very clean 2006 XLR with factory stereo that has the bose amp. The stereo worked fine with exception of a "cd error".
I took the unit out, separated and disassembled the cd player thinking (hoping) there were cd's jambed causing the error which would have been a simple fix. Not the case, the drawers were misaligned so I manually aligned them on the work bench and thought maybe that would fix it. Here's where I messed up, instead of reassembling the entire unit, I left it half assembled, plugged it all back in to see if it worked and the cd played circuit board touched the metal case, smoke a little and blew the radio fuse. Uhhhg, my stomache dropped. At this point I reassembled it fully and reinstalled it and replaced the fuse. So now the radio comes on with all functions ie AM - FM - XM etc but I have no sound. I am hoping there is a separate fuse for the bose amp but cannot find one and I do have power going to the amp. I think I fried the radio. Just going out on a limb to see if just maybe someone else has done the same thing and or a possible fix. I wouldn't be opposed to putting an aftermarket stereo in but would be confused due to the bose amp. Any thought's would be appreciated.

You (probably) fried the cd changer, not the radio. All the audio signals pass through the cd changer that acts as the source selector. Your steering wheel buttons probably don’t work either because they manipulate the cd changer. You may be able to jumper across some pins on the changer cable connector so the radio plays again. I’m not at my desk, so I’ll have to get back with more info later.

Okay, I'm back where my info is... You need to jumper some connections on the 20-pin CD changer connector C2. I re-appropriated the attached image from another, really useful thread. Fortunately, testing it is free. If you don't like giving up the features, but the jumpers make it work, then the best solution short of a new install is to replace the changer. I don't think anything needs to be programmed when replacing the changer. I think all years are the same, but I am not positive.

Assuming there wasn't any collateral damage, your radio should now play through the speakers again, but you will lose some features.

• XM / Sirius will not work. The tuner itself may work, but it will not come through the speakers
  • Your steering wheel buttons will not work
  • 1     CD plug[1].jpg

I put a new battery in my car and for some reason both fuses to the stereo popped. I replaced the one in the floor board and the stereo lit up and could see the screen and all the buttons; however, no sound. I tried to replace the blown fuse for the amp under the hood and it would pop instantly. Turns out the amp got shorted out. I found a guy who fixed my amp and all is well again.

Okay, I'm back where my info is... You need to jumper some connections on the 20-pin CD changer connector C2. I re-appropriated the attached image from another, really useful thread. Fortunately, testing it is free. If you don't like giving up the features, but the jumpers make it work, then the best solution short of a new install is to replace the changer. I don't think anything needs to be programmed when replacing the changer. I think all years are the same, but I am not positive.

Assuming there wasn't any collateral damage, your radio should now play through the speakers again, but you will lose some features.

• XM / Sirius will not work. The tuner itself may work, but it will not come through the speakers
  • Your steering wheel buttons will not work
  • View attachment 13710
Thank you for taking the time with a resolution, I did however end up replacing with an Alpine unit with install kit from Crutchfield, the Bose amp is fine and works with it as one of the plugs in the kit does just that by audio jumping those pins. I used the original face plate to keep my original dash trim instead of using that silly looking Metra faceplate and now my XLR is current with google maps, android auto etc. I may revert back to this option though "if" I need to bring it back to the stock stereo option for some reason so, thank you again for taking the time.

Attachments

• amradioinstall01.jpg
    amradioinstall01.jpg
    644.4 KB · Views: 420
  • 20210314_102823_resized02.jpg
    20210314_102823_resized02.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 345
  • 20210314_102900_resized02.jpg
    20210314_102900_resized02.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 329
  • 20210314_102946_resized02.jpg
    20210314_102946_resized02.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 1,456
  • 20210217_154457_resized02.jpg
    20210217_154457_resized02.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 345
I did have to fabricate 2 small plates to go on either side of the radio, I made them from some semi rigid plastic material and covered them with a black carbon fiber vinyl, kind of a prototype, I may redo them when I can set some time for that little project.

Nice work, JT

20210314_102946_resized02-jpg.13729

Jts. Looks great! With the new Alpine did you manage to keep your steering wheel controls?
Yes, for the most part, the volume and scan up - down work as they should but the voice command and GAP buttons do not function with this unit which is fine by me as the Alpine has "google assistant" so I can just speak it without holding a button. So far so good.

Yes, for the most part, the volume and scan up - down work as they should but the voice command and GAP buttons do not function with this unit which is fine by me as the Alpine has "google assistant" so I can just speak it without holding a button. So far so good.
You say that the gap button doesn't work? As in your adaptive cruise control is no longer adjustable? Hmmm...I am facing similar issues, though mine was caused by a set of jumper cables that got pinched by the top as I was lowering it. My stereo hiss, squealed and thumped for a bit. Shutting it off and on made it go away. A week later, I was lowering the top (trunk empty this time) and the noise started again and then stopped with no sound at all now. Radio/tuner works (it seems) but no volume. I will check the fuse under the hood. Floorboard fuses looked good. Any other suggestions? And my apologies if I am hijacking a thread. I don't mean to, but I thought it was similar and relevant to the thread.

What Model Alpine Did You Go With. My C D Player In My 2008 XLR Shows Error Not Sure If I Want To Try To Fix It Or Just Replace It.

Gap
doesn’t work because the steering wheel buttons originally connected to the cd changer and it broadcasts messages to the rest of the system(s) as needed. Same for heated steering wheel and cruise cancel.

Nice clean install. I just had my radio replaced and after reading your comments I went out and checked all my functions. No problems. Now that the radio has all the latest functions the XLR is perfect. I have attached a couple of my install pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_DVD.jpg
    IMG_DVD.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_Dash.jpg
    IMG_Dash.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 204

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!