Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Failed Battery

6444johnf

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2008 XLR
The original battery failed very quickly, even with a battery tender installed. I was putting the top up when the battery failed with the panel behind the seats having opened, then I got Low Voltage warning. Are there any special considerations when installing a new battery?

John,

You will have to re-index the windows so the top will work again. You may even lose your memory presets, depending on how long there is no battery power. i.e. Seat positions, radio presets, etc. Pretty simple, providing you can get into the car to open the hood. May have to use the key in the rear bumper to get the door open. The trunk is pretty heavy to open, may want to have some help doing that.

The original battery failed very quickly, even with a battery tender installed. I was putting the top up when the battery failed with the panel behind the seats having opened, then I got Low Voltage warning. Are there any special considerations when installing a new battery?

Thanks Cubby,i have indexed the windows once before so that is simple, plus the top is down so access to the interior is taken care of. I'm leaving the panel up behind the seats as this is the initial sensor for top operation.
Enjoy

Failed battery

Thanks Cubby,i have indexed the windows once before so that is simple, plus the top is down so access to the interior is taken care of. I'm leaving the panel up behind the seats as this is the initial sensor for top operation.
Enjoy

FYI I have solved this problem by installing an external battery plug under the front bumper cover that I can plug in a whistler jump & go which is stored behind the right side grill panel. also installed a external hood release. I have not learned how to send pics on this site but will try.

David J.

Attachments

• external battery storage.jpg
    external battery storage.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 331
  • external jumper plug & battery.jpg
    external jumper plug & battery.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 307
  • external jumper plug.jpg
    external jumper plug.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 303
  • external hood release latch.jpg
    external hood release latch.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 389
I hope you don't plan on using your adaptive cruise control. If you weren't aware the sensor for it to function is behind that panel you put the battery pack.

Theirs plenty of threads on here about battery replacement. Most replace with a optima red or yellow top. If it was your original battery and on its way out a battery tender wouldn't help.

I hope you don't plan on using your adaptive cruise control. If you weren't aware the sensor for it to function is behind that panel you put the battery pack.

Evidently it is not in way of sensor sense it has not been effected. If in the future I will move to other side. Just more space on left.

David J.

[SUB]john, always have the XLR running when you operate the top.
it will kill even a good battery in a few cycles with the engine off.
an old battery wont come back to life with a tender, it will be barely alive enough to start the car, and eventually it wont even do that.
if you get a new battery the tender will help you keep the newness for many more years
than you would get without a tender.
look into odyssey battery, i put a thread up here a while back about them, a bit more expensive, but alot more CCA and deep cycle capability
than the average battery.

[/SUB]

Thanks for all of your help!
Special note to self, as per Cubby the widows must be re-indexed. Well I forgot about that aspect so with nothing working I finally did preform the index and all is well.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom