Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Folding Top

Bob Dobransky

My XLR/V(s)
2004 XLR
Hi All From the New Guy!

I've got a 2004 Crimson Pearl XLR, I bought it three years ago from the widow of the guy who ordered it new. Great ride!

I've got a problem: The trunk opens but the hydraulic motor continues to run for about 15 seconds even though the trunk is open. Also, this same day the "Top not secured" message came on and the top won't activate and fold into the trunk.

I read about the hydraulic fluid reservoir being low could be a problem. Can somebody tell me exactly where that reservoir is so that I can check it?

Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Bob

Hi All From the New Guy!

I've got a 2004 Crimson Pearl XLR, I bought it three years ago from the widow of the guy who ordered it new. Great ride!

I've got a problem: The trunk opens but the hydraulic motor continues to run for about 15 seconds even though the trunk is open. Also, this same day the "Top not secured" message came on and the top won't activate and fold into the trunk.

I read about the hydraulic fluid reservoir being low could be a problem. Can somebody tell me exactly where that reservoir is so that I can check it?

Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Bob

It could be several different things, with that message in the DIC, it's probably a sensor fritzed out. Before doing that, maybe a top relearn with a TECH II would fix it.

What's a top re-learn ?

It could be several different things, with that message in the DIC, it's probably a sensor fritzed out. Before doing that, maybe a top relearn with a TECH II would fix it.

Can you explain further? what's a TECH II?

bluebeast

Bob; To answer your original question. There is a "cubby hole" in the trunk just in front of the left rear tail light. Little latch to lift out and open. That is where your hydraulic cylinder and pump is located. If fluid is low you have a leak some where, and a major issue. If the fluid is not low, find a XLR tech trained to use proper diagnostic tools (TECH II) to track down possible electrical switch issue. This is not a very technical response, from the wife of husband who maintains the bluebeast. If you have further questions, ask and husband should reply. This will give you someplace to start looking without a tech. Good Luck!! Cathie :(

A TECH II is a diagnostic scan tool used specifically on GM vehicles. Originally the things were priced astronomically; only ones that could afford them were dealers/mechanics. Since the Chinese versions came out you can score one for around $250 or so. With an XLR shop manual and a TECH II, you can diagnose pretty much anything on your car.
As a side note, my XLR was doing the same thing. My dealer is located about 45 miles away. When I arrived and the service manager looked at my car, the top worked as it's supposed to. We came to the conclusion that the 45 mile drive may have let the computer "reset" itself. You might give that a try. I went ahead and had them do a diagnostic on the car, and the tech did a relearn on it just to make sure.

Welcome to forum of.... as you can see great XLR knowledge and very nice helpful people! Good Luck! Hope you get top problem fixed so you can enjoy some Topless Cruz'in [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More Problems

I'm ordering the hyd fluid for the folding top reservior, based on recommendations. Went to the Cadillac dealer here in Reno and they said they could order me a case, I said I needed a pint. So, he gave me the numbers of some other dealers with 200 miles. No Auto Parts store I went to has it. So... today the trunk stopped opening, after a Costco run and with it filled with food, some of it frozen. Got the key out to unlock it manually and it would only open about halfway.

Now I've an inop trunk and folding top.

HELP!?

I'm ordering the hyd fluid for the folding top reservior, based on recommendations. Went to the Cadillac dealer here in Reno and they said they could order me a case, I said I needed a pint. So, he gave me the numbers of some other dealers with 200 miles. No Auto Parts store I went to has it. So... today the trunk stopped opening, after a Costco run and with it filled with food, some of it frozen. Got the key out to unlock it manually and it would only open about halfway.

HELP!?

You should be able to open the trunk by hand you will have to push it with force as it will not open on its own hydraulics, if you can you let open as it's not good to force the the hydraulic system more then you need to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

HELP!?

I did some research and found this info. It says that there is a replacement number that is the same hydraulic fluid that can be bought on the internet
(FeBi 02615) It shows it is a compilable replacement for GM p/n 89022748 which is originally Univis HVI 26.
Google P/N # FeBi 02615 and buy for $8 and up! Hope this helps

Klaus is the man ! I installed Webasto and Hollandia Sunroofs for years (Now merged into Webasto). I new of Top Hydraulics from that part of the business. When my RR lift cylinder started to weep fluid, I sent him both sides for rebuilds. He charges $ 100/per cylinder, but I recommend the upgrade (@ $50.00) for new shafts - it's well worth the investment. There are 9 hydraulic cylinders for the complete folding mechanism - it doesn't pay to take the cheap route and buy them used.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom