Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Fuel Pump & fuel gage sending unit.

DAVE JONES

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 CRYSTAL RED XLR
Could anyone tell me why the XLR has a right & left fuel pump & gage sending unit.

David J.:dunno:

Highly non-trivial job, Dave. It took my dealer a couple of days to do it (thank God the dealer I bought it from had to foot THAT bill.). If you don't have an extended warranty, get out your wallet. It's a bear. :(

BTW, it seems that we have the same fuel system as the 'Vette, so a Chevy dealer might do it for a little less. Just a thought.:dunno:

Tim

As a former motorsports dealer, may I suggest you try anything else, before going after the pump/gauge issues. Like, for example, the Techron treatment mentioned in other threads on this site. Always try the cheapest and easiest stuff first, is my motto. :cool:

Dave,
Here is an article in the Knowledgebase that details the layout and function of the fuel tank system in the XLR (and Corvette).

Cadillac XLR Net | Knowledgebase :: 2004: Service Information: Fuel Tank System

Tim

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/

Thanks Tim, One more question< do I have to drop the tank to get the pump out on the left side?

FUEL PUMP

Highly non-trivial job, Dave. It took my dealer a couple of days to do it (thank God the dealer I bought it from had to foot THAT bill.). If you don't have an extended warranty, get out your wallet. It's a bear. :(

BTW, it seems that we have the same fuel system as the 'Vette, so a Chevy dealer might do it for a little less. Just a thought.:dunno:

Tim

As a former motorsports dealer, may I suggest you try anything else, before going after the pump/gauge issues. Like, for example, the Techron treatment mentioned in other threads on this site. Always try the cheapest and easiest stuff first, is my motto. :cool:

Thanks guys, Trying the GM product now. Will let you know how it works. Noticed some folk get upset on this site when one gives their opinion but it is funny.

Probably becacause must of your posts are *****ing about what a bad car the XLR is. Perhaps you bought a lemon and didn't get rid of it. If you have a problem and ask a question, must will help or steer you in the right direction. But when you constantly *****, your chances of getting help diminish significantly.

Send me info on your car, if you want to get rid of it. I will find someone who will enjoy it.

.....................Noticed some folk get upset on this site when one gives their opinion but it is funny.

fuel gauge

Probably becacause must of your posts are *****ing about what a bad car the XLR is. Perhaps you bought a lemon and didn't get rid of it. If you have a problem and ask a question, must will help or steer you in the right direction. But when you constantly *****, your chances of getting help diminish significantly.

Send me info on your car, if you want to get rid of it. I will find someone who will enjoy it.

WOW!!!!
Did not mean to upset you. Looks like the problems I have with the XLR others have also. I have learned a lot from this forum & will continue to listen to those who have problems & good things to say about their XLR. By the way whole sale value would be a good asking price. Going to make you mad again, does anyone know why the XLR was not produced after 2009? Oh, what does ***** mean. not in my vocabulary.

David j.

Last edited:
FUEL PUMP

You have a first year XLR. First years of a new model often have more issues than later, even when it's not a Cadillac. I imagine the first year edition of your much beloved Corvette C7 will be generating similar commentary ten years from now. Doesn't mean it's a piece of trash.

Update One

2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Z51 Manual Long-Term Test Update ? Review ? Car and Driver

Also, XLR's & C6's share a very high percentage of parts and problems.

Oh, I agree. Just hate to spend money on an expensive car. I will just set back & read others comments. LOL

I was at a car show the other day. Talking to a fellow about his Maserati. He said that he just got his brakes done the week before for $8,000. Cost of ownership is relative. This vehicle is called XLR for a reason - it stands for Experimental Luxury Vehicle. Many of the features on this car are now just becoming options on cars today - Adaptive Cruise Control and magnetorheological shock absorbers to name two. Most of us on this site know that this vehicle is considered a high performance vehicle and know it requires more TLC than the average car. We are more than willing to put up with the drawbacks because, in my opinion, this car gives you so much driving experience that you can only get with much higher priced high performance vehicles. Talk to BMW and Porsche owners about the cost of ownership of those vehicles.

Speaking for myself, bashing the car does not help any of us get to a solution any quicker and only detracts from the discussion of that posted topic. It is even more frustrating when a member feels like they need to ALWAYS have the last word on the topic. That's all I have to say about that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back