Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Funny "Tink. tink tink noise ???

Steve Lee

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
I drove to the battery place for a new battery. While driving there, all kinds of crazy messages on the instrument panel. Battery in, guy reprogrammed, and I reset windows. All was well! Now when I open driver door, something goes -tink,tinktink,tink?? Stops at door closing. Sounds like it is under the car behind passenger seat area. Never had this before or since I owned the car for 15 months!! What is going on????

What is it making that sound? It's quite audibile and doesn't make that sound with the passenger door opening, only the driver's door on opening, and it didn't do it 'til I got home? I made (2) stops on the way home and it did not do it!!!

With all due respect,I'd like to get an answer, not a statement about what could have caused it.

That "With all due respect" reply was for rexter314 not you. If I disconnect battery and reconnect it, is there a wait time before reconnecting ? They reprogramed under the left side of the instrument panel after the battery was put in; do I have to do that again? All was good after that. Stopped for gas, and to see afriend, and got no tink,tink, tink. It did it at home when I went back in the car to get something I forgot to bring in the house with me !

It did not do it after the battery was installed! The guy re-programed the system and all was good until I got home! I hope this doesn't mean go to Cadillac dealer!! They get $125.00/ hour and will fix it in 10 minutes and charge me the FULL HOUR!!! I depend on you guys on this forum for help. Someone on here knows the answer!!

What programming do you do under the left side of the instrument panel ? Never heard of that. I disconnect my battery all the time and all I do is reindex the windows. You ask how long to disconnect your battery ? Try 5 minutes. You are not getting many replies to your problem because we don't know. We are just trying to help you. If you can't accept that go to a Cadillac dealership.
John F.

Perhaps I get tired of your constantly posting stuff that you could easily find out faster if you did a search on the forum?

If you're tired take a knap! I'm 82 and never tire, I only go to bed because there is nothing to do in the dark!!

I fixed it ! It was the r/side mirror going down for "Curb View", I reprogramed it to say in "View behind me." No more tink, tink tink!!

Mine has done that. It is the passenger side mirror going past stop for some reason. Had to reprogram the preferences.

Found out by myself; It was the passenger mirror going down too far for the "Curb View"( apparently past the "Stop") which I had no need for, and reset that mirror months ago for no Curb view, so in reverse it wouldn't do that. Is it possible to reset that to "curb View," and set it to the down position where one wants it to be?? Just asking to gain knowledge, not wanting to use Curb view anywhere that I travel, because it seems that paralell parking hae "gone with the wind."

Tip.

I went online to Ebay and bought the 4 volume GM Cadillac Service manual for the year of my XLR. Every thing you need to know is in the manual. They are readily available from carboagz on Ebay. I don't think they would have anything about a mirror going tink, tink because it's adjusted to its maximum limit. That's something that you or your dealer would have to troubleshoot on your own.

PS I was also able to track the 2 volume Cadillac XLR mechanic training manuals on Ebay as well.

PPS I replaced my battery with the OEM battery a few months ago. Took a bit more than 5 minutes (lol) but I cleaned and shined everything. There was no need to reprogram anything and the car fired up perfectly.

Fixed it myself long ago, R/side mirror needed re programming. I had it set to not see where the curb was; when new battery was installed it went back to " curb view for backing up. I reset it to not do that, and no more tink,tink. (It was trying to go down past it's limit.

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back