Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Garmin Navigation App Running on the XLR Radio?

Z1.

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Raven Black XLR
I think there may be a way to get Garmin's navigation software to run on the XLR radio. Google's Android OS (low CPU demand and compact flavor of Linux) is free (the Google compiler is almost free) and a stripped down version compiled for the SH-3e chip might fit in the XLR radio's smallish 8Mb SRAM. Erasing the identity EPROM, so the radio will accept Android, might be a problem. I did something similar to a damaged SRX radio, it now happily accepts any XLR, SRX, Seville .KWI I give it. If I had a Toyota .KWI, I bet it would accept it. Anyway a .KWI file is just a binary file with some extra crap wrapped around it.

Garmin has this great perpetually updated navigation app for Android. You could also have Pandora, Bluetooth?, IPod mirroring, an Internet browser... If cheap Chinese navigation radios can use Android, so can we.

The biggest challenge would be porting the radio's core functions into Android (any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated). It's all Linux-ish code. If we were dealing with the Death-star twins, Microsoft or Apple, then there would be no hope.

FYI. I also found a video and stereo audio hookup for maybe a backup cam on the XLR's CD Changer (what a stupid place for it).

Last edited:
Yea, it's underpowered

I dont think android will run very well on a 133mhz processor.

Yes, a bit slow by todays mini low-voltage CPU standards (Apple's A10 is 800mHz), but the chip does have onboard DSP and there is a GPU to free up processing load.

Though at around 500 MIPS, it is lacking. The OnStar module's CPU has more processing power (700 MIPS), which is sad.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom