Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

News: Good~Year Eagle RS-A P235/50ZR18 EMT 97W

Bakertech

Seasoned Member
After 2 frustrating visits to my GM Dealer and a call to Good~Year Customer relations, my dealer tells me that there are no more of the above 'Run-Flats' available.
Good~Year will not warranty any tire over 6 years old I was told, even if new. They do not give a time frame for retirement.
The last 4 NOS tires my GM dealer could find were 7 years old (1508) and could not be balanced.

Apparently Dunlop still makes an EMT (Extended Mobility Tire) in that size.

The 4 new ones I purchased with the car in 2013 are dated 1912 (19th week, 2012) are back on the XLR. A very slight vibration in the steering wheel can be felt at 'higher speeds'.

A sad chain of events when high end vehicle parts are unavailable after a few years.

Gord Baker

If you want run flats, try the Bridgestone Driveguards. I have them on mine & they do just fine.

I'm a Michellin fan - always have been. I went with them and a Fix-a-flat repair pak!!! You really don't hear of folks having many flat tires these days anyway - much improvement over years past and surely a better ride than most run-flats. Just my opinion.

I'm a Michellin fan - always have been. I went with them and a Fix-a-flat repair pak!!! You really don't hear of folks having many flat tires these days anyway - much improvement over years past and surely a better ride than most run-flats. Just my opinion.

When we bought our Infrared X I noticed new rubber on the car the previous owner had put on, but when I was going out to get a can of fix a flat I looked closer they were Michelins and were the run flat tires. Made me feel better. Next month going to my tire shop and getting them rebalanced as there is a slight "wobble" at 120mph

I think until about '08 the base XLR's originally came with Michelin run flats, then changed to the Goodyear ones. V's came with Pirelli run flats. To my knowledge none of these brands make run flats that fit any XLR's any more.

We're Michelin fans too but went with run flats on the base after a discussion with someone who knows these cars & whose opinion we respect about the risks & benefits (prior owner put non-run flat Michelins on it). I'm not doing anything performance-wise with the base that demands anything "better." We do have non-run flat Michelins on the V if for no other reason than there aren't any run flats that fit it. The cubby on the right side of the trunk is a good place to store tire repair equipment. :thumbsup

For better or worse my base CTS coupe has such a stiff ride (with non-run flat Michelins) that the base XLR feels almost cushy in comparison, even with the run flats on it.

When we bought our Infrared X I noticed new rubber on the car the previous owner had put on, but when I was going out to get a can of fix a flat I looked closer they were Michelins and were the run flat tires. Made me feel better. Next month going to my tire shop and getting them rebalanced as there is a slight "wobble" at 120mph

yeah, that 120 mph issue can be a real problem going to the mall. I had an o4 Corvette with OE run-flats - took them off and put on regular Michellin's - ride was greatly improved. I don't find myself running 120 on a daily basis though so I'm probably not the norm.

Last time I checked on Tire Rack.com they had a Dunlop, a Bridgestone and the same type Michelins I have on the X now.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom