Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Hello from the Beautiful Oregon Coast

Tinker

My XLR/V(s)
2004 Zenon Blue XLR
Wild hairs still visit me now and then. April 4th was such a day. Driving from the Oregon coast to Eugene (Springfield) to check out an XLR was OK, but that wild hair sprang up and before I knew it cash fell out of my pocket. The test drive had gone perfect, the top went up and down correctly, and everything seemed OK. Yet on the drive home the engine started missing so bad it shook the car even at 20mph. It appeared to calm down occasionally, so babying the throttle the trip continued.

It wasn't raining on the coast and the sun was shining, so it was time to put down the top. Push the button and sunshine filled the cockpit of this wonderful car. The top was in the trunk, but the trunk lid was still high in the air and it wouldn't go down. There was a noise every time the button was pushed, but nothing moved. Going through the owner's manual led to finding the hydraulic pump and the manual bypass valve. Since the top was already down it seemed appropriate to just close the trunk and smile as the wind messed my remaining hair. The DIC now displayed these warning messages "SVC Tire Monitor", and "Top Not Secure."

After returning home I became fully acquainted with the manual top raising procedure... where can the "magic wrench" that the manual refers to be purchased?

Even after all that there came another Wild Hair... a 4.4Lsupercharged engine and 6L80 transaxle cried out "Buy Me Now."Succumbing to the feelings both these items are on their way.

It's difficult to get tall people into an XLR, it's even harder to do when the seat memory was setup for a small person (the only Fob provided was for the second driver). The User's Manual provided the answer, yet following the procedure never resulted in hearing that satisfying beep of approval. After locating the proper connector a DVM (set to check current) was used to verify if the problem was the switches, or the module. Pin"C" was connected to pins "A", and "B" one at a time with the XLR in park and the accessory position turned on. The current draw was just over 1mA on each pin, so it appears a new Memory Seat Module will be required.

Still undeterred, but these wild hair moments have got to stop!
:cool:

Last edited:
Hello from South Texas.
So just to get this straight, you're buying a 4.4 supercharged V engine and transmission to go into your Base XLR? Or have I read it wrong?

I'm no expert, but I believe he will be spending more $$$$ to make his conversion. Will definitely need a new hood and possibly Engine and Transmission control modules??? The V's also have bigger brakes. This will be interesting to watch!

Hello from South Texas.
So just to get this straight, you're buying a 4.4 supercharged V engine and transmission to go into your Base XLR? Or have I read it wrong?

I'm no expert, but I believe he will be spending more $$$$ to make his conversion. Will definitely need a new hood and possibly Engine and Transmission control modules??? The V's also have bigger brakes. This will be interesting to watch!

That's the gist of it I got. More time and money than I've got. I'm fairly certain the new components won't button in without some more major "wild hairs" I've not seen the top wrench on eBay at all. Not sure of the size, but a good hex head socket in the correct size and wrench would probably work better and easier anyway. Not having tried this function, just reading, maybe a good speed wrench would work as well

Last edited:
Don't forget the coolant pump for the intercooler, the hoses, and coolers down front for the intercooler system. And the radiator and all the hoses. The intake is different as well the H pipe for the exhaust. The torq tube is different, not sure about the cable and all other connections. You'll want different mufflers as those stock base mufflers will not let it breathe. I think the A/C compressor mounts in a different location so the hoses would need to be changed and possibly the compressor also. The front and rear duct may or may not get included with the engine. The mass air flow sensor is different, engine and trans mounts are different, cooling fan and module are different, the coolant reservoir is different due to the hoses and connections being different, the engine harness is different, the purge valve is different, all four oxygen sensors are different, the ECM and PCM are different. The list is endless as to the difference between a base 320hp and a V 443hp. Are you sure you don't want to just look for a V instead of all the trouble it's going to take?

Last edited:
Don't forget the coolant pump for the intercooler, the hoses, and coolers down front for the intercooler system. And the radiator and all the hoses. The intake is different as well the H pipe for the exhaust. The torq tube is different, not sure about the cable and all other connections. You'll want different mufflers as those stock base mufflers will not let it breathe. I think the A/C compressor mounts in a different location so the hoses would need to be changed and possibly the compressor also. The front and rear duct may or may not get included with the engine. The mass air flow sensor is different, engine and trans mounts are different, cooling fan and module are different, the coolant reservoir is different due to the hoses and connections being different, the engine harness is different, the purge valve is different, all four oxygen sensors are different, the ECM and PCM are different. The list is endless as to the difference between a base 320hp and a V 443hp. Are you sure you don't want to just look for a V instead of all the trouble it's going to take?

Right now the total investment in this project is $19,800. Many unforeseen things may jump out and bite me as the upgrade takes place. We'll just have to wait and see, then take them on one at a time until I surrender, or complete the project. Some items will need to be addressed prior to start up, while others can be done a little at a time. Maybe a new project thread could be started to show progress and pitfalls.

If you haven't done so, a Tech II should be in your future. Sounds like you might already need one for the top problems alone.

If you haven't done so, a Tech II should be in your future. Sounds like you might already need one for the top problems alone.

The Tech II is a little expensive. The Model i900 from iCarsoft claims to read and clear the following for GM:• ENG • AT • ABS • SIR • BCM • IPC • HVAC • VSES • VTD • TPM • RTD/CVRTD • ESC • DRR • DDM • DPM • PDM • RCD • VCIM • TDM • RFA • ISU • IMMO • Radio • Navigation Radio • Amplifier(Bose) • TA • RWS. Does anyone have experience with this unit? If so does it allow for speedometer and sensor calibration? If not, it appears there isn't a way to bypass the Tech II. Any used ones for sale, or is the best that can be done is the imported ones?

Quite a few of us have bought the import Tech II and have had good luck no complaints. You will also need a set of factory service manuals and keep in mind they didn't have the supercharged 4.4l until model year 2006, so I would suggest having a set of 2006. I would recommend Helms or ebay. PM me on this.

Tinker, if you think a Tech II is expensive, wait until you start pricing all the extra parts you are going to need to convert your 04 to a V!

My Chinese Tech II works perfectly and considering it was less than 400$ quite a bargain.

Thank you, and the insights of everyone else for their comments! Understanding the cost of quality test equipment, it appears as if a Tech II is in my future. Scrounging for used parts will hopefully help keeping the cost of the extras affordable.
Is there a clearance problem with the XLR hood and the supercharged engine, or is it just a styling thing?

You will most definitely need the hood. It is a clearance issue on the standard hood. Once you start researching all the items you'll need, I think you will find it less expensive to just find a V to buy. Among other items you'll need, new radiator, inter cooler radiator, inter cooler pump. New ECM, which will need programming by the dealer. And list goes on.....I'm not saying you can't accomplish this project, just hope you have deep pockets and a lot of patience!

Sounds like a fun project, but the worse part of a conversion like this is that you will go for months without being able to drive your XLR! Seriously, the difference in price between a base and a V on the market today would probably be less than $10k and you would be right back on the road enjoying the top down. Keep the engine and tranny as a spare for the new V!

Is there a clearance problem with the XLR hood and the supercharged engine, or is it just a styling thing?

You might want to see if you can find an original XLR-V to take a look under the hood. That visual will probably be a big help. It's very different under there!

Your conversion will also be very interesting being based on an '04, which has some computer & other differences from '06 & later years (when the V went into production). Ups the challenge!

Considering parts for this car can be exorbitant, and limited, I'm not sure my budget would allow such a drastic change, and the car itself won't be worth more anyways. Tinker, if you live up to your screen name, best of luck. As others said, I would have shopped more around and got a V model to begin with. Besides the obvious engine/transmission change theres a LOT of other ancillary parts that will have to be changed out/modified to accomplish this switch.
Best of luck.

could find a badly wrecked/ salvage V as a donor ?
if it was rear ended/ side swiped/ flipped you would have everything you need...
it might be $$ but cheaper than buying everything individually.
plus you get the donor vehicle to analyze and figure out how everything is setup.
i bet theres a few crashed V's out there.

Right now the total investment in this project is $19,800. Many unforeseen things may jump out and bite me as the upgrade takes place. We'll just have to wait and see, then take them on one at a time until I surrender, or complete the project. Some items will need to be addressed prior to start up, while others can be done a little at a time. Maybe a new project thread could be started to show progress and pitfalls.

Earlier V models are averaging in the Mid $30K. Your additions could cost you up to $10K and you're still somewhat ahead of the game. Good luck and keep us posted.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom