Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Hello from the D

Burd

Hello, names BURD. I own and operate a Firebird forum, I’m looking at an 04 XLR. it’s in great shape, I’ve always wanted one. I worked at the display house that had the GM account for years, I traveled for the auto shows and always wanted one. This one I’m looking at is silver /black interior, what scares me it has 98k on it. I was told PO did a 8k Maint on it. It appears stock, but has a Corsa exhaust on it. I’m going back this week to look at it closer. And hear it run. I would pay my GM mechanic to go over it, but you guys should know , is there anything I should I look for ? It’s around 14k, But I could get some off I think. Only damage is a frot lic plate holder was installed on the front bumper and the dr side leather seat covers and bottom foam looks like it need to be replaced.

Hello, names BURD. I own and operate a Firebird forum, I’m looking at an 04 XLR. it’s in great shape, I’ve always wanted one. I worked at the display house that had the GM account for years, I traveled for the auto shows and always wanted one. This one I’m looking at is silver /black interior, what scares me it has 98k on it. I was told PO did a 8k Maint on it. It appears stock, but has a Corsa exhaust on it. I’m going back this week to look at it closer. And hear it run. I would pay my GM mechanic to go over it, but you guys should know , is there anything I should I look for ? It’s around 14k, But I could get some off I think. Only damage is a frot lic plate holder was installed on the front bumper and the dr side leather seat covers and bottom foam looks like it need to be replaced.

Welcome! You’ll find a lot of great wisdom and experience here.

This is just me, but I wouldn’t buy one of these without:

1) a reasonably comprehensive and documented service history
2) a thorough inspection by a qualified GM Tech and
3) a really good used car warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do a search, there is lots of discussion on here about this subject, but first thing I would check is to see if the shocks have been replaced, they are due at that mileage and dealer would charge around $4000. Make sure the top works perfectly several times. Get as good a warranty as you can.

Thanks, will do on the inspection. My mechanic used to own an exclusive GM repair facility. I’ll have him go over this car. I’m going to call him in the am.
Ill have to see what the 8k maintenance done was.
Im bummed, a few of my buddy’s did Cadillac and I never grabbed press stuff or any literature on these cars. I’m starting all over. Lol
i remember sitting in one out in Seattle that was around 108K. Dark grey metallic, and it had the gray wood trim in the interior.
someone old me to get the last one if I get one. This is what the first?
here, I just figured out how to add pics, I only have this one. What do you think. I want to get it up on a lift and see the bottom.

Attachments

• 8F7F8A7E-379E-4A26-9866-6E7BA9B58E3A.jpg
    8F7F8A7E-379E-4A26-9866-6E7BA9B58E3A.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:
Read the owners manual (it’s on here in the Tech Center), be sure you know how everything is supposed to work & that it does. You probably know Northstars are good for a LOT of miles, so don’t worry about the miles on the engine.

If you do any search on here, you’ll see to check the “bucket” in the trunk near the bumper on the driver’s side. The brains for the top & suspension is in there, if there signs it’s gotten wet run away.

The ‘04’s (& 05’s) have a few different things than the later years, since we have later ones maybe someone else can chime in for ‘04’s. :wave:

Thanks, will do on the inspection. My mechanic used to own an exclusive GM repair facility. I’ll have him go over this car. I’m going to call him in the am.
Im bummed, a few of my buddy’s did Cadillac and I never grabbed press stuff or any literature on these cars. I’m starting all over. Lol
i remember sitting in one out in Seattle that was around 108K. Dark grey metallic, and it had the gray wood trim in the interior.
here, I just figured out how to add pics, I only have this one. What do you think. I want to get it up on a lift and see the bottom.

Hey Burd Welcome to the forum and XLR World! If this is an 04 as you mentioned it has been modified from the original 04 look, the grill is mesh and that was on the new models and wheels too! I have an 05 and they looked the same as 04 here’s a few pictures, don’t worry much about miles, we just turned over 100,500 this past weekend and still runs great! Although the 4.6 NorthStar is known for some oil leaks, also mine had Corsa Exhaust already installed on it when I purchased in 2011... you will love the sound and low drone while cruising in it, but be aware when you put you foot in it! GOOD LUCK
dba409d4166b6fc4144803f79e728c78.jpg

5fb81f1f76bc799bca8178aface31288.jpg

d418f0f81b0e4fcbc3c75c32216f6851.jpg

05 Grand Dad- I think the picture he posted was in reference to a V-Series he saw for sale in Seattle but didn’t purchase.

That’s the car, it’s at a classic car place. I thought the grills were the other way around. Lol.

That’s the car, it’s at a classic car place. I thought the grills were the other way around. Lol.

Nope mine is mostly original except the Corsa exhaust.... LOL

I haven’t had a chance to go back and look further. I’ll go and take some more pics.
i sent that pic to my mechanic. He called me. Lol it’ll be an hour charge if he gets into it he said. I think it’s well worth it.

Last edited:

At a casual glance it looks like a XLR-V. The mesh grille was a V exclusive, as were those wheels. But there's no V badge and that lump on the trunk for the antenna suggests it's pre-06 and someone's gone to some effort and money to make a base XLR look like a V.

The picture you have posted; if it's the '04 you are looking at, has an aftermarket V type grille. Most likely an E&G grille. The wheels are V type wheels, most likely put on after 2006, as that is when the V models came out.

I’m Going to call tomorrow, I can’t stop out till Thursday. May mechanic told me about it’s really expensive parts and disco’d by Gm, but I hunt down stuff for my 78. That’s half the fun. It would sit in my garage most of the time anyway. I wonder what else has been swapped out. Wish I had a XLR guy to go by with me. Lol
I was at cars and Coffee on Woodward, a guy came in with a sweet XLR for sale but it was a funky light purplish color. I didn’t look , I just didn’t like it.

Check all the lights

Burd, check all the lights, especially headlights and tail lights. Make sure all the functions (turn, emergency, running, etc) work correctly, and have no cracks. They're very hard to find and VERY expensive if you do find them.

I did notice the front headlight plastic wasn’t perfect. But that’s plastic for ya, I have an Infiniti that has glass headlight glass. Are those pricy?

Last edited:
I did notice the front headlight plastic wasn’t perfect. It that’s plastic for ya, I have an Infiniti that has glass headlight glass. Are those pricy?

2004 & 2005 had an issue with the Amber bulb day runner lights, they say the bulb itself caused it to look melted an some even cracked. I had mine replaced back when I purchased mine in 2011, but now trying to find even a used headlight unit is getting hard! So if it looks melted and cracked that happened to most all of them! You can turn on the fog lights and they will go off or run the headlights all the time! They are saying here that there are people getting them redone, but also sounded pricey to me.

I did notice the front headlight plastic wasn’t perfect. It that’s plastic for ya, I have an Infiniti that has glass headlight glass. Are those pricy?

You would have to replace the whole headlight to fix that as far as I know - there’s not been much luck getting them apart without damaging them beyond use.

’04-05 had a problem from early on with “crazing” of the lens in front of the DRL (basically it looks burnt, because it’s pretty much getting burnt from the bulb). Don’t know if that’s part of what you’re talking about. After all these years it’s also popping up some on later models, or at least through ‘06-07. If you get headlights in good shape there’s info on here about replacing DRL’s with LED’s so you don’t develop that problem.

If you’re just talking about the outside clear lens of the headlght being beat up, mine weren’t bad but after I put Xpel headlight protection film on them it had the side benefit of making them look pretty much like new. Plus there’s various headlight polishes out there, but I haven’t ever tried any of those.

I gotta go back and go over it good. I could kick myself for not collecting literature through the years. I didn’t get a press pack when it was launched. I was always in the Cadillac booth. I could have been grabbing stuff through the years. Mats, lit so on. Lol. You guys have been a huge help, thanks.
I remember building the stainless turntable I want to say for the XLR press release.
Last year, I got my site into the GM Heritage center, Greg the curator, took care of the Cadillacs and Lasalles before the museum opened. I told him I worked at the Display House and he gave me a nickel tour, there’s a old caddy turntable set up there. The Chicago and New York raised floor is set up in the middle of the museum, he got from the scrap just before the bailout, now I gotta go back and see what Caddy’s are there.

Last edited:
Welcome, born and bread in Detroit now I live in Indiana die hard Michigan fan.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom