Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

how to turn off passive door locks on 2009 xlr ?

I believe if you look in the owners manual it tells you how. Why would you want to turn it off?

"You may temporarily disable the passive door locking feature by pressing the door unlock switch for three seconds on an open door. Passive door locking will then remain disabled until a door lock switch is pressed or until the power mode transitions from the off power mode."

Owners manual for 2009

Last edited:
I believe if you look in the owners manual it tells you how. Why would you want to turn it off?
I'm new to the car so perhaps I have it wrong. When I leave the car, it locks itself. Why? When I pull into the garage, exit the car with my fob, I don't want the car to lock. If I need to come out for something I forgot, like my cell phone, I should not need to bring my key fob with me. I'm finding this very annoying. Not a world problem but my car, so should be my choice. So, if I have it right, any way to get around it? Any engineers out there who "found a way?" Thanks in advance. Hal

how to turn off passive door lock on 2009 xlr
I'm new to the car so perhaps I have it wrong. When I leave the car, it locks itself. Why? When I pull into the garage, exit the car with my fob, I don't want the car to lock. If I need to come out for something I forgot, like my cell phone, I should not need to bring my key fob with me. I'm finding this very annoying. Not a world problem but my car, so should be my choice. So, if I have it right, any way to get around it? Any engineers out there who "found a way?" Thanks in advance. Hal

I just push the unlock button twice as i walk away from the car and alarm is disabled and locks also until next ignition cycle.
This has worked for me for years.
Wickenburg, AZ

No dont do that it would allow anyone to drive off with your XLR when parked anywhere, my wife and I easily got into the habit of unlatching the hood and hitting the unlock twice and opening the hood in the garage, an open hood lets heat out and slows the deterioration of rubber and plastic parts.
Thanks. Guess I'll have to develop that habit (or leave 2 key fobs hidden in the car!)

No dont do that it would allow anyone to drive off with your XLR when parked anywhere, my wife and I easily got into the habit of unlatching the hood and hitting the unlock twice and opening the hood in the garage, an open hood lets heat out and slows the deterioration of rubber and plastic parts.
I can appreciate your comment. And I would only do that in the garage where this "feature" is a pain. I have no idea why they did this on the XLR. I don't remember my 90's Eldorado ETC or STS, my Escalade, my C5 Corvette, nor my now C8 Corvette doing that. The C7 has the feature but you can turn it off. Oh well. I'll quite complaining. I love the car!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom