Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

I Have One

onalaska

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Infared XLR-V
Almost 150,000 miles, transmission going, lost 3rd gear, but it still runs and drives. In fact, I drove it 200 miles to Galveston and back last Friday and had a blast. Look forward to everytime I have the opportunity to get it out of the garage. Definately a different machine from the XLR.

Allante.jpg

Very nice ride, sir! :rocker:

I liked the Allante as well when it came out. I was driving a Diesel Eldorado during those years.

But when the XLR was introduced, it really lit my fire!

I was impressed when the Allante' came out, but it was actually more expensive than the XLR in today's dollars. I was buying a home at that time, not a car which actually was selling for about the same as my first home! I still keep up with prices and one can be found in reasonably good condition for 5K or less. A good friend of mine has two and is selling his '92 for 3K and it is in very good condition. The '93 was the only year with the Northstar engine. In fact, that was the first year for the Northstar. The paint was excellent and in most cases the original paint looks as good as new. I hope the XLR holds up as well in 20 years.

Me to. Just sold my '93 Northstar Allante in Sept. 19 years old and 30,000 miles.

I didn't run the numbers concerning the relative cost of the Allante as compared to the XLR, but I do remember that acquiring one at the time just wasn't in the realm of the practical for me at the time.

I'm glad they made the car, even though it did not have the market impact that Cadillac thought it would. They are nice cars, I looked at them when they were new and more recently have looked at some that were for sale at the Charlotte Motor Speedway Autofair. Had I been financially able to purchase back in the day, I would have liked to have had one.

I think the XLR will actually hold its value much better than the Allante did. An XLR is more of a "statement" car than the Allante was. Considering that the XLR was essentially unchanged in appearance from 2004 to 2008, and with minor changes for 2009, you have a car design that was first sold in 2004. That makes it an eight-year old design now, but it still looks as fresh, current and exciting as it did in 2005!

I honestly believe that the XLR will still look as fresh at 20 years old as it does now, and I believe the quality of the construction will hold up as well. I sure do hope so, I plan to own it and drive it as long as I can get in a car and drive!

I currently have a black, black, black 93 Allante with 65,000 miles that i will selling very soon.

as a comparison to the cost of the XLR my 93 Allante has a sticker price of $62,000 and that was in 93 of course...quite expensive at the time, especially without a power roof...which some people blame for their demise.

Ours is a '92, Pearl White. She has 52K on the odometer. Paid $8K a couple of years ago. Would be hard pressed to get $5K for it now. But then, did not buy it for investment. Bought it because it looks nice and is a blast to drive!

Parts are hard to find and outrageous in cost! Other than that, a nice ride.

ALLANTE

I had 3 Allantes over the years. '89 - 90 - 92 . . . . I liked then very much, but 89 & 90 ( GRAY ) had brake problems. Getting parts was MURDER and getting it worked on was worse. The red '92 was the best one to drive, was fun and looked good. I sold it and bought a '04 CHEVY SSR which I kept for 3 years, that was also fun and a head turn, until I realized that the XLR was the car for me . . . Now I am very happy and look forward to the daily driver . . . . . .:wave:

Almost 150,000 miles, transmission going, lost 3rd gear, but it still runs and drives. In fact, I drove it 200 miles to Galveston and back last Friday and had a blast. Look forward to everytime I have the opportunity to get it out of the garage. Definately a different machine from the XLR.

Allante.jpg

Nice pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

allante

I've had a'91-92-93 all fun cars,'93 was easier to work/get parts as it did not have the crazy brake system.loved them all but after seeing/driving the xlr I traded the '93 in on the xlr,this car i'm going to drive the wheels off,at 48k now. good luck with the allante.

I was watching an old movie the other day on Netflix called Millenium and Cherl Ladd got into a red Allante and went screaming out of an air port in it.

That was the only one I've ever seen in a movie.

I have a brother that lives up in Big Bear, CA. that has one and he really loves it.

Robin Williams drove one in Cadillac Man.

.........................................................That was the only one I've ever seen in a movie.

I had 3 Allantes over the years. '89 - 90 - 92 . . . . I liked then very much, but 89 & 90 ( GRAY ) had brake problems. Getting parts was MURDER and getting it worked on was worse. The red '92 was the best one to drive, was fun and looked good. I sold it and bought a '04 CHEVY SSR which I kept for 3 years, that was also fun and a head turn, until I realized that the XLR was the car for me . . . Now I am very happy and look forward to the daily driver . . . . . .:wave:

I like reading on here that most of us XLR owners are driving the hell out of our XLR's and not just sitting in your garages (unless weather is bad, that's understandable) mine a daily driver too but I only have 5 miles / about 7 minutes to the office!
We just put about 500 miles on Roxy went to Atlantic City, NJ / Cape May for a couple of days for my birthday getaway!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Thanks Dan

Mine too is a daily driver. I enjoy every minute I can get her out.

Since I have left my Grand Prix with my daughter on what seems to be permanently, (her hubby takes their only car to work) I only have the XLR to drive on a normal basis. If I have to pick up my granddaughters I take my hubbies pick up truck or for big stuff his truck or my '63 C-10.

I can just fit my golf clubs in the XLR and still have the top down if remove my big drivers from the bag and tuck them in separately for golf night with the girls! Plus I have the old cars to drive if I need to.......I still try not to take out the XLR if it is going to be crappy out. ;)

I am picking up a friend for lunch tomorrow and I promised I would bring the XLR but we may get caught in the rain in the afternoon....Oh well, just give me an excuse for me to spend some quality time with my favourite car and a wash mitt!

I agree. Sometimes I take mine out just to drive. If I get caught in a rainstorm then, like u, gives me excuse to wash on the next nice day.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back