Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

If you have a XLR-V, who built your engine?

XLRATING

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Infrared XLR (Beauty); 2008 GT500 (Beast); 2007 Black XLR-V (Victor)
I never realized that the name of the person who hand-built a V engine is on a label on the engine . . . unfortunately this label is covered up first by the engine cover and then by a tube on the left side of the engine, so you never see it unless you take the cover off. Wish they had given the builders credit the way they do in a GT500, which has a readily visible "Hand Built With Pride" plate signed with an engraving pen.

Anyway, if you have a V, who built yours? It would be interesting to see if a lot of the XLR-V's share the same builder.

Don't really know where I am supposed to be looking. I found a tag with a little pink dot with 2 initials on it. couldn't decide if it was L R or I R.???

Don't really know where I am supposed to be looking. I found a tag with a little pink dot with 2 initials on it. couldn't decide if it was L R or I R.???

You may know the following but this is how I found the name plate.

You need to remove the engine cover. To do this the oil fill cap must be removed then pull the oil dip stick out an inch or so to keep it from scratching the cover. Grab the front edges of the cover and wiggle it as you lift and the cover will come off.

The name plate is on the left top front edge of the engine (as you are looking at the engine from the front). It is 3/4" x 1 1/2" approximately (I didn't measure it) but you can't miss it.

I would take a picture but I'm out of town for the day. As soon as I get a chance I will post one.

Important, be sure to put the oil fill cap back on and push the dip stick back down. If you don't it will make a huge mess under the hood!!!!!!!!

Mike

Thanks for the smog tip

Volant says they asked for registration for the 06-V 3 and a half years ago. Now I have a suspicion that they only registered 07 though 09 and forgot about the 06 and they installed my system in 06 at their facility. They are supposed to be calling Sacramento today to find out and maybe get a letter excusing me on the visual.
Thanks for you help.

If my memory is correct... the '06 Vs were not signed, just '07-'09.:wave:

You may know the following but this is how I found the name plate.

You need to remove the engine cover. To do this the oil fill cap must be removed then pull the oil dip stick out an inch or so to keep it from scratching the cover. Grab the front edges of the cover and wiggle it as you lift and the cover will come off.

The name plate is on the left top front edge of the engine (as you are looking at the engine from the front). It is 3/4" x 1 1/2" approximately (I didn't measure it) but you can't miss it.

I would take a picture but I'm out of town for the day. As soon as I get a chance I will post one.

Important, be sure to put the oil fill cap back on and push the dip stick back down. If you don't it will make a huge mess under the hood!!!!!!!!

Mike

Pictures of the build plate.

IMG_0001.jpgIMG_0002.jpgIMG_0003.jpgIMG_0005.jpg

I was interested to see how many different technicians built the V engines.

Based on what Bruce posted, '06 engines were not tagged.

that is exactly where I looked and found a sticker and a pair of initials only. 06v

You're probably OK unless the name on your build plate is Alfred E. Neuman!

:lol:

My builder was Kerry Rasmussen, seems like he knew what he was doing!! :beerchug:

nothing here...other than a lot of dust!...now I know what my next project will be!

image_zps1181144a.jpg

I never realized that the name of the person who hand-built a V engine is on a label on the engine . . . unfortunately this label is covered up first by the engine cover and then by a tube on the left side of the engine, so you never see it unless you take the cover off. Wish they had given the builders credit the way they do in a GT500, which has a readily visible "Hand Built With Pride" plate signed with an engraving pen.

Anyway, if you have a V, who built yours? It would be interesting to see if a lot of the XLR-V's share the same builder.

Mine is on the right side of the engine near the front. My engine was built by Bruce Elam who has been quoted saying that building the LC3 is more fun than building the LS7.

2013-04-0513-27-382698.JPG

Built by....

Another Bruce Elam, an interesting way to acknowledge great work!:cool:

Bruce Elam built my engine. Forgot to torque the crankshaft/harmonic balancer bolt. Blew my engine.

Sorry to say but Bruce Elam did not torque the bolt on the end of the crankshaft of my 2008 XLR-V, upon disassembly it was finger tight, which caused insufficient oiling to my engine. [see pictures] The engine had <10,000 miles [note original chalk marks on the pistons chamber] when the rods started to knock. Back in Jan of 2017 I sent it to Jake Wiebe @ Northstar Performance and now have had to retain an attorney to get him to communicate with me regarding his repair of and secure the return of the engine.

I am now in search of a reputable shop to inspect the engine. Jake told me that he put bearings, oil pump and a new crankshaft as well as his patented head bolts in the engine.
"Multiple connecting rods were overheated (heat discoloration) as well as damage from spun bearings. I am waiting patiently on the replacements- the crank and oil pump are in. Won't be much more to complete."
He makes no mention of replacing the discolored rods or re-balancing the engine. This makes me very uncomfortable.

Will someone please give me a recommendation for a good reputable shop to checkout this engine?
Bruce Hatch

Attachments

• 20160122_092140.jpg
    20160122_092140.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 313
  • Screenshot_20170724-180647_resized Bearings.jpg
    Screenshot_20170724-180647_resized Bearings.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 311
  • XLR-V-Eng22.jpg
    XLR-V-Eng22.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 326
  • Screenshot_20170724-180659_resized.jpg
    Screenshot_20170724-180659_resized.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 315
  • Screenshot_20170724-180651_resized.jpg
    Screenshot_20170724-180651_resized.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 329
from what I have read that is more of a design issue than a error in assembly of the engine. I have heard of engines being checked over their life only to one day find the bolt is loose. No warning just a heat /cool rpm sort of star alignment .

With less than 10k miles?

from what I have read that is more of a design issue than a error in assembly of the engine. I have heard of engines being checked over their life only to one day find the bolt is loose. No warning just a heat /cool rpm sort of star alignment .

They [GM] should have used some Locktite on the bolt! A key way would not be out of the question for the oil pump. Bad engineering GM.

keyway

keyway has worked for a hundred years but I think they felt a tapered fit would not weaken the crank . I think I read you need 2 bolts to replace one. One is sacrificial . tighten to like 140 pound then remove it and throw it away. use another to tighten to 20-30 pounds then 140 degrees past. yep a keyway and then just goodentight would have been way to hard for them.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom