Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Installed Volant "Cool Air" Intake - 2004 XLR

JohnnyBfromPeoria

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 Base, Black/Black
Not sure why, but the Volant cross reference for our cars excludes the 2004 model year. Rest assured, it fits. I installed mine last night and everything fits and functions as advertised. First take-away: Get on the gas and the thing is loud, in a very good way. I can't say for sure what it's going to do, performance or gas mileage-wise, but I have some driving I'm undertaking soon and I'll see what it tallies on the highway, if I can be forced to keep my foot out of the throttle.

I found the set-up for less than the suggested list price, north of $370, currently, by doing a simple Google search. Ordered on Sunday, it was here on Wednesday, two days before the estimated arrival date.

Install is pretty easy. Assemble everything loosely, line it all up and tighten the clamps. I used the larger size crankcase breather hose without an adapter and just clamped it on the fitting coming off the valve cover, no big whoop.

Now if I can just stomach the huge cost of a Corsa exhaust...that darn thing costs more than a top-flight set of tires...we'll see.

John B.

Volant said when the first ones were installed they did not have an 04 to check the system on and it worked on 05. A few people bought them for 04 and had the check engine light come on so they took the 04 off the list. All the other parts on an 04 and 05 are the exact same so there should be no problems )8 and 09 have a bigger mass airflow and they do not interchange

Not sure why, but the Volant cross reference for our cars excludes the 2004 model year. Rest assured, it fits. I installed mine last night and everything fits and functions as advertised. First take-away: Get on the gas and the thing is loud, in a very good way. I can't say for sure what it's going to do, performance or gas mileage-wise, but I have some driving I'm undertaking soon and I'll see what it tallies on the highway, if I can be forced to keep my foot out of the throttle.

I found the set-up for less than the suggested list price, north of $370, currently, by doing a simple Google search. Ordered on Sunday, it was here on Wednesday, two days before the estimated arrival date.

Install is pretty easy. Assemble everything loosely, line it all up and tighten the clamps. I used the larger size crankcase breather hose without an adapter and just clamped it on the fitting coming off the valve cover, no big whoop.

Now if I can just stomach the huge cost of a Corsa exhaust...that darn thing costs more than a top-flight set of tires...we'll see.

John B.

I just installed the volant intake and the Corsa exhaust. I have an '06' so I dont have the issues the 04 has with the Volant intake. I did quite a bit of research on the exhaust on these cars and Corsa seemed to be the way to go. I finally found the the exhuast for $1725 out the door (Free Shipping). It was about 200 to 300 less than most places. The exhaust sounds amazing. Absolutely the right exhaust for these cars. Wasnt looking to get any HP out of it since I have my "M" for that. I just wanted the sound. I was not disappointed.

I've put over 1500 miles on during my current road trip. In all highway driving, I averaged 26.7 mph, per the DIC. I did get a check engine light, but it turned out to be P0455 and was due to a bad gas cap. I reset it after I got a new cap from NAPA with my El cheapo Harbor Freight code reader and it has not come back. No problems with the intake. Nice product.

John B.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

I ended up clocking about 4,000 miles in three weeks since the Volant went on, traveling from home base outside Phoenix to Peoria, IL, on to Des Moines, IA, back home briefly, then over to Los Angeles and back. In Albuquerque, I ran into heavy rain. No problems at all with the intake.

John B.

neat , thats what we like to hear on this forum. Follow ups with good news. To make sure, yours is an 04 model? as its not listed under your profile

Last edited:
I ended up clocking about 4,000 miles in three weeks since the Volant went on, traveling from home base outside Phoenix to Peoria, IL, on to Des Moines, IA, back home briefly, then over to Los Angeles and back. In Albuquerque, I ran into heavy rain. No problems at all with the intake.

John B.

I would love to know what my problem was with the Volant. I had so many codes thrown due to the Volant my hubby took it off without saying anything to me. I did not notice any 'obvious' performance change and a few weeks later I commented how the car had not 'thrown a code for a while' when he finally said that he had pulled the Volant. There has got to be something that was changed/added to my car before the Volant to cause the conflict. Anyway, with the Volant removed my X has been flawless ever since. Life is Good! :burnout:

Greytoad...I unfortunately had issues with the Volent as well...I did all I could to keep it on without throwing codes..I did a start to finish thread about it.. ......In speaking with tech support at Volent, they mentioned that it was incompatible with the 08 and 09 models..may have something to do with some throttle body change..At least that is what was said..I was as disappointed as you sound like you are...But..no codes since....

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom