News: Johnny O'Connell Makes Transition from Corvette Racing to Team Cadillac

Rob

Seasoned Member
Staff member
Site Administrator
My XLR/V(s)
Not yet!
Johnny O'Connell Makes Transition from Corvette Racing to Team Cadillac

Record-Setting Racer Reunited with Corvette Racing Teammate Andy Pilgrim in New Cadillac SCCA World Challenge GT Program

2010-12-14

DETROIT, Dec. 14, 2010 – Johnny O'Connell will move from Corvette Racing to the new Team Cadillac motorsports program in the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) World Challenge GT in 2011. After 10 successful seasons in Corvettes, O'Connell will join former Corvette Racing teammate Andy Pilgrim in a pair of Cadillac CTS-V Coupes as Cadillac returns to racing in the SCCA production-based series.

"Johnny O'Connell has made a tremendous contribution to the success of Corvette Racing both on and off the track," said GM Racing director Mark Kent. "Now as GM launches a new motorsports program with another iconic brand, Johnny was the unanimous choice for Team Cadillac. We are very pleased that Johnny will continue to be a valued member of the GM Racing family, and we believe that his proven speed, racecraft, and outgoing personality will be great assets for the Cadillac racing program."

O'Connell, 48, of Flowery Branch, Ga., joined Corvette Racing in 2001. He won 40 races with the team and captured three American Le Mans Series GTS/GT1 championships with co-drivers Ron Fellows (2003-04) and Jan Magnussen (2008). In 2009, O'Connell notched his record-setting eighth career win in the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring and became the first American to score four class victories in the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

"After 10 amazing years with Corvette Racing as part of one of the best American sports car teams in history, I am extremely flattered that Cadillac selected me for this very important program," said O'Connell. "I'm very proud to have won more ALMS races in Corvettes than any other driver and to set records at Sebring and Le Mans. I've enjoyed fantastic relationships with the team, with great friends and co-drivers like Ron Fellows and Jan Magnussen, and with Corvette enthusiasts around the world. I look forward to building a similar fan base with Team Cadillac and representing Cadillac for many years to come."

Corvette Racing will announce its 2011 program plans and driver lineup at a later date. Corvette Racing’s next event is the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring at Sebring International Raceway on March 19, 2011, the season-opening round of the 2011 American Le Mans Series.

About Chevrolet:
Chevrolet is a global automotive brand, with annual sales of about 3.5 million vehicles in more than 130 countries. Chevrolet provides consumers with fuel-efficient, safe and reliable vehicles that deliver high quality, expressive design, spirited performance and value. In the U.S., the Chevrolet portfolio includes: iconic performance cars, such as Corvette and Camaro; dependable, long lasting pickups and SUVs, such as Silverado and Suburban; and award-winning passenger cars and crossovers, such as Malibu, Equinox and Traverse. Chevrolet also offers “gas-friendly to gas-free" solutions including the Cruze Eco and Volt, both arriving in late 2010. Cruze Eco will offer up to 40 mpg highway while the Chevrolet Volt will offer up to 40 miles of electric, gas-free driving and an additional 300 miles of extended range (based on GM testing; official EPA estimates not yet available). Most new Chevrolet models offer OnStar safety, security, and convenience technologies including OnStar Hands-Free Calling, Automatic Crash Response, and Stolen Vehicle Slowdown. More information regarding Chevrolet models, fuel solutions, and OnStar availability can be found at 2011 Cars, SUVs, Trucks, Crossovers & Vans | Chevrolet.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom