Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Key Fob

beaver_jd

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Red XLR / 2007 XLR-V
If you get in your XLR one day and the battery in the key fob is dead how would you start the car. I know if it's low you put it in the key fob slot in the glove box but what if the battery is toast in the fob.
John F.

cheap insurance,,,,,

John,,,, I might suggest you invest in an extra package of spare fob batteries and a 'quarter' to keep inside the car. The 'quarter' will open the fob, and then you could replace the dead battery carefully with a new fresh one.

John,,,, I might suggest you invest in an extra package of spare fob batteries and a 'quarter' to keep inside the car. The 'quarter' will open the fob, and then you could replace the dead battery carefully with a new fresh one.

Question: If the fob battery is dead and the car is locked, will the door open?:dunno:

In a roundabout way, yes, but you have to have a metal key with you

So that would be in a WAY ROUNDABOUT way - - you'd get in thru the bumper is what you're referring to?
And, if you don't have the metal key, you're locked out.:thumbsup

My 2004 XLR came with a flat metal key in a leather wallet, I carry it around in my wallet, just in case I ever lose/misplace one of my fobs, at least I can get in the car while on the road.
I have thought about putting a spare fob without a battery in the cubby in the trunk.
Yes, I was a boy scout. LOL
Any other car I own, a dealership can just make a new key in a pinch, this keyfob, not so much/so easily.

extra metal key,,,

For long trips...we take the flat metal key with us.

Home Depot made a duplicate of that key for appox. $2.00 ... which is **hidden under the car.

** Leave tomorrow on a 3500 mile trip,,,maybe I better check to make sure that ex-key its still hidden :lol:

:wave:

For long trips...we take the flat metal key with us.

Home Depot made a duplicate of that key for appox. $2.00 ... which is **hidden under the car.

** Leave tomorrow on a 3500 mile trip,,,maybe I better check to make sure that ex-key its still hidden :lol:

:wave:

Might want to be sure that quarter and spare battery are still there too! Have a great trip.

Might want to be sure that quarter and spare battery are still there too! Have a great trip.
I use a small case to hold my FOB, key and a spare battery. Time to find a quarter. By the way, the FOB battery is very inexpensive CR2032.

Last edited:
My 2004 XLR came with a flat metal key in a leather wallet, I carry it around in my wallet, just in case I ever lose/misplace one of my fobs, at least I can get in the car while on the road.
I have thought about putting a spare fob without a battery in the cubby in the trunk.
Yes, I was a boy scout. LOL
Any other car I own, a dealership can just make a new key in a pinch, this keyfob, not so much/so easily.

I've got that flat leather case/key in my wallet since we bought the X. Wife has the standard key on her key fob

I have only one FOB. Has anyone had success programming a 2nd FOB? I see them on ebay for $80 or so.
The local dealer says they have been unsuccessful.
Thanks

New transmitter

Ron.

Attached is a copy of my owner manual , that it explain how to do it. note at the rear of the transmitter there is a number 1 for the driver one, the second should be number 2, for the driver 2.

Good luck.

IAN :blinzel:

keyless4.jpg

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry