Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Looking at a V, need advice.

Playdrv4me

Hi everyone,

I'm visiting here from Cadillac Owners since the XLR community over here seems a little bit more active. I also know one of your members (GizmoQ) personally and hope you can add to the advice, Giz!

We have decided to replace our 2007 Escalade as it hasn't been quite what we had hoped for, and we really don't need an SUV anymore anyway. One of the vehicles that is at the top of my list (and actually already had the financing approved) is a 2006 XLR-V at a Cadillac dealer in IL. The car seems to be in great shape (I'm in Kansas so I haven't had a chance to put my hands on it), and the undercarriage picture I received seemed to be like new, clearing one of my only reservations about a Midwest XLR.

The car is 33k and has 56k miles. I noticed that a Toyota dealership in CT is selling a 10k mile car for 40k, but that is frankly out of the budget so it really doesn't matter. Also, I'm locked into purchasing from a dealer since I need to trade my car in, and this dealer is giving me a very reasonable amount for the truck.

So my question is what should I look out for when I go look at the car. Are there any particular trouble spots that I should investigate? Is this a reasonable deal? Do these cars do OK at higher mileages? This one has had two owners that both kept it for a reasonable amount of time. Are warranties available for a reasonable amount? I'm sure there's other questions I had, but that's all I can remember for now, I'm sure I'll get good advice either way. Basically wondering if this car is even worth messing with at 56k miles, or if you would only buy a car with very low mileage.

Other contenders... '07 Jaguar XK, '05 SL500, and '04 SL55 AMG.

Thanks!

Some pics:

6b8d57f90a0a006400da92465e1b3373.jpg

6b8e75df0a0a006400da9246584466b1.jpg

6b91f49a0a0a006400da924680bad17e.jpg

The car is 33k and has 56k miles. I noticed that a Toyota dealership in CT is selling a 10k mile car for 40k, but that is frankly out of the budget so it really doesn't matter. Also, I'm locked into purchasing from a dealer since I need to trade my car in, and this dealer is giving me a very reasonable amount.

I can only give you info based on my experience. I bought my 2nd XLR in Feb of this year: 2006 Light Platinum XLR. It had 13K miles on it and a clean Cadillac service history. I paid $32,500 for it.

The Cadillac history is very important to see before you buy the car. My 2004 had a very extensive service history and if it had not been certified and covered by warranty, I would have been in big trouble.

Watch E-bay and then call the selling dealerships directly. I bought both mine that way and feel like I got great price by doing so.

In January 2009 I started looking and asking about the XLR. I asked about a used XLR coming off lease. The sales rep I had purchased several cars from pulled up the recent GM auction results and I could see the year/price/mileage/color of what had been sold and what was up for auction. In late 2009 I told him to find my 2007 XLR and told him the max I wanted to pay which was several thousand below what I was seeing on the Car&Driver used car web site. In Dec 2009 he called with a black/black CPO with 23,000 miles located in California but I said no as I wanted the cashmere interior. 3 weeks later he located mine in Chicago with 5000 less miles than the CA car. I'm not sure but I believe they contacted the other dealership when the car was listed for auction and they worked a deal. He had mentioned several times that they were checking the network. They drove to Chicago and flatbedded the car back to Ohio.
SO, I would suggest working with a dealer that will let you see the auction results. Obviously they need to make some money on the deal so the price may be a little higher. I also didn't hesitate to give him links from the C&D website and I had him call the other dealerships to try to make a deal as they talk the same language. Good Luck in your Search!
Another note - A 2008 with a 3 yr lease starting in summer 2008 would be coming off lease now. A 2007 on a 4 yr lease in summer 2007 would also be coming off lease now. You might also look at a 2009 coming off a 2 year lease - a lot of depreciation in the first 2 years and then you get the 5 yr std warranty coverage through 2014 or CPO through 2015.

Hi everyone,

Do these cars do OK at higher mileages? This one has had two owners that both kept it for a reasonable amount of time. Are warranties available for a reasonable amount? I'm sure there's other questions I had, but that's all I can remember for now, I'm sure I'll get good advice either way. Basically wondering if this car is even worth messing with at 56k miles, or if you would only buy a car with very low mileage.

Other contenders... '07 Jaguar XK, '05 SL500, and '04 SL55 AMG.

Thanks!

Well, as far as your mileage question - I bought my 2005 XLR with 130K on it and I've put another 33K on it since then... no major problems, bought it very reasonable and I've truly been enjoying it any chance I get. I live in Chicago and I'm sure if anyone had an XLR around here - it was tucked away for the winter. I usually get my service work done at Weil Cadillac in Libertyville, IL - they are a pretty good dealer (bought one car from them and all my DEALER work is done by them on both Cadillacs). I'm not aware of any "issues" or concerns with the XLR V's - excellent cars, excellent motors... miles and miles of fun.
Good luck in your search!

By the way, my 2000 Cadillac DTX (with the Northstar engine) just ticked over 188,000 today. :rocker:

The Cadillac history is very important to see before you buy the car. My 2004 had a very extensive service history and if it had not been certified and covered by warranty, I would have been in big trouble.

I agree. I almost bought a very low mileage & beautiful XLR, ran the service history and couldn't get away fast enough. I wound up buying a very beautiful XLR for much less with a clean service history.
Your price sounds very nice.Good luck with it.
Bruce

With the miles on that car I do not think you can get a GMPP warranty. If they include a warranty and it is not a GMPP it will not cover the top!! I would really check the service history good before buying an XLR without coverage on the top.

Warranty other than GMPP

You can purchase an extended warranty other than GMPP that will cover the top assembly. The one I purchased has but one exclusion, the Adaptive Cruise Control.

If your Cadillac dealer is a reputable place of business, he will have a source for an extended warranty if a GMPP is not available. Ask lots of questions and read the list very carefully as to what is covered and what is not.

When I purchased my 89 Cameo new, I purchased an extended warranty for one reason......the digital dash. I did not want to have to bear the cost of a replacement should it go out.

Interestingly enough, the Cameo is 22 years old and I have never had any trouble with the digital dash. I did have a minor issue with the rear main seal that required replacement and it covered it completely!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom