Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Low-Cost, XLR-Compatible, Tech 2 Scanner

ccclarke

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2013 Graphite Metallic XTS Platinum
Maybe you've asked questions and read the replies that often close out with, "You'll need a Tech 2 scan tool to find out for sure. . . . " I know I'm guilty of closing out with that phrase more than once.

While the real-deal Tech 2's can cost an arm and a leg, clones can be a cheaper alternative. If they blow up at some point, you aren't as likely to end up in divorce court from buying a ridiculously expensive scan tool that was used a couple of times.

I stumbled across this uber-cheap Tech 2 today while offering alternatives to someone on another site and thought it might be of use to someone. At around $300, it's more affordable than a lot of others out there.

New GM Tech2 Diagnostic Scanner For GM/SAAB/OPEL/SUZUKI/ISUZU/Holden Tech 2 with Carton Box

Do be aware it's a Chinese clone, has no carrying case, (no biggee) and you'll need a set of GM Service manuals to interpret the test results.

CC :wave:

CC
It doesn't look as though this comes with the PCMCIA 32MB card. Won't work without it. The clone I purchased came with it. Not sure how much they cost.
Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice catch. Just below the ad on the same site, they offer a 32Mb pre-loaded memory card with genuine pirated software for $28!

Tech 2

Maybe you've asked questions and read the replies that often close out with, "You'll need a Tech 2 scan tool to find out for sure. . . . " I know I'm guilty of closing out with that phrase more than once.

While the real-deal Tech 2's can cost an arm and a leg, clones can be a cheaper alternative. If they blow up at some point, you aren't as likely to end up in divorce court from buying a ridiculously expensive scan tool that was used a couple of times.

I stumbled across this uber-cheap Tech 2 today while offering alternatives to someone on another site and thought it might be of use to someone. At around $300, it's more affordable than a lot of others out there.

New GM Tech2 Diagnostic Scanner For GM/SAAB/OPEL/SUZUKI/ISUZU/Holden Tech 2 with Carton Box

Do be aware it's a Chinese clone, has no carrying case, (no biggee) and you'll need a set of GM Service manuals to interpret the test results.

Says it works with 04-05 xlr, any idea if it will work with my 09 XLR platium edition or would i need something different. I messaged customer support but have mot heard anything. Thanks

Says it works with 04-05 xlr, any idea if it will work with my 09 XLR platium edition or would i need something different. I messaged customer support but have mot heard anything. Thanks

My understanding is it will work with all GM models through MY ‘13. GM switched to a laptop based system after that.

Diagnosing XLR convertible top issues w/Corrrrectly setup Ttech 2

I messaged them also with the following: "I own a 2008 Cadillac XLR base convertible. I need a reasonably priced Tech 2 tool that will diagnose and reset all functions on the complex convertible hardtop system. My understanding is that for the top raising and lowering system one needs a tech 2 tool that includes special firmware/code specifically for the XLR top. Do you have a tech 2 diagnostics tool that will completely diagnose my XLR tops complete system. If so what are your prices on such a tool?"

I got no reply also. No doubt the price is great but the company marketing this Tech 2 is no more than a marketing company. They don't/can't provide tech support. They don't have the knowledge or documentation to provide support. It could be a legal issue if they put it in writing of which US models and how well and what additional accessories/firmware their Tech 2 needs to be purchased with.

I want the correct device and accessories that will in detail accurately analyze and reset my 2008 XLR. I have the 4 volume shop manual. Reading the 2 chapters on the Top, as is well evidenced in this XLR conference, shows me that one is just making wild ass guesses trouble shooting XLR convertible top issues without the manual and a correctly setup Tech 2.

Specific to the XLR convertible top issues, has anyone purchased a reasonably priced Tech 2 device with whatever accessory necessary to FIX problems they were having with their 20XX XLR? If so, where did they get it and cards, firmware etc accessories were needed? Specific links, names greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

I messaged them also with the following: "I own a 2008 Cadillac XLR base convertible. I need a reasonably priced Tech 2 tool that will diagnose and reset all functions on the complex convertible hardtop system. My understanding is that for the top raising and lowering system one needs a tech 2 tool that includes special firmware/code specifically for the XLR top. Do you have a tech 2 diagnostics tool that will completely diagnose my XLR tops complete system. If so what are your prices on such a tool?"

I got no reply also. No doubt the price is great but the company marketing this Tech 2 is no more than a marketing company. They don't/can't provide tech support. They don't have the knowledge or documentation to provide support. It could be a legal issue if they put it in writing of which US models and how well and what additional accessories/firmware their Tech 2 needs to be purchased with.

Thank you.

You should try to talk to them through WHATSAPP. You'll get a response but nothing like an answer you're looking for. You'll get a person named Cindy, much like Peggy on the tv commercials. Anything you buy from China especially a clone like this, don't expect ANY tech support.
I bought a Chinese TECHII clone better than 2 years ago. Price was right (less than 400$) and it came in about 2 weeks. It had everything the sale webpage showed except the 32mb PCMCIA card. It took me 2 weeks to convince them that the card was supposed to be included in the transaction. I finally got it but corresponding to the CS person Cindy/Peggy was pretty hard. The TIS2000 software was included, but I could never get it to work (it had the USB key) But I've used it to add new key fobs and to re-learn the folding top several times which I figure I've broken even on the purchase. It works as designed for me

Last edited:
Tech II clone

I bought one about 6 months ago. Everything came with it. About $600. Mine does go to 2009. Btw, I got the manuals (4 Books) for like $399?. I think the url is books4cars.com. Also, go to harbor freight for the case. Hard black plastic, full foam inserts, air tight, like it was made for the Tech II. Cheap.

Diagnosing XLR convertible top issues w/Corrrrectly setup Tech 2 Originally

Thank you for your helpful response Rexster.

It's cheap enough that I should just order it and see how well it works for me.

Again, thank you.

No problem, if you do order, get the molded plastic case. Keeps everything tidy and unlike cardboard, won't disintegrate. It's not that much more in the scheme of things

I bought one about 6 months ago. Everything came with it. About $600. Mine does go to 2009. Btw, I got the manuals (4 Books) for like $399?. I think the url is books4cars.com. Also, go to harbor freight for the case. Hard black plastic, full foam inserts, air tight, like it was made for the Tech II. Cheap.

Where did you buy yours?? Can you post the link? I have 07 model

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back