Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

MAJOR PROBLEM WITH NORTHSTAR OIL PUMP!!!

Big Duck

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2008 XLR-V Alpine
BEWARE!!! [see attached pictures] :mad:
20170923_155043.jpg20170923_155250.jpg
The oil pump is attached to the front of the crankshaft by way of the tightness of the crankshaft harmonic balancer bolt (#391)! The bolt sandwiches the balancer (#390) and the oil pump driver gear spacer (#467) to the crankshaft (
#467 NOT a "spacer" but the means of connecting the oil pump to the crankshaft.)
#391 came loose and I lost the engine in my XLR-V @ <10K.
Jake Wiebe @ Northstar Performance www.northstarperformance.com T/F: 888-800-9470 tells
me that ALL Northstar engines are constructed in this fashion. No key way!
So, make sure that bolt is torqued to spec and/or if you are having oil pressure issues CHECK THAT BOLT!!!

Well Big Duck it's a good thing you did shut it off when you did. The design is alright provided the bolts are properly torqued (this one obviously wasn't). But if these engines were properly engineered there would have been a key or drive pin - flats - hex - anything machined into the oil pump to prevent slip.

Despite a few things I would have done differently in design, overall these are amazing engines.

Time to get this engine put back together and shipped back to its owner. Big Duck it will happen very shortly; and I will update you in a few days.

Thanks.

BEWARE!!! [see attached pictures] :mad:

The oil pump is attached to the front of the crankshaft by way of the tightness of the crankshaft harmonic balancer bolt (#391)! The bolt sandwiches the balancer (#390) and the oil pump driver gear spacer (#467) to the crankshaft (
#467 NOT a "spacer" but the means of connecting the oil pump to the crankshaft.)
#391 came loose and I lost the engine in my XLR-V @ <10K.
Jake Wiebe @ Northstar Performance www.northstarperformance.com T/F: 888-800-9470 tells
me that ALL Northstar engines are constructed in this fashion. No key way!
So, make sure that bolt is torqued to spec and/or if you are having oil pressure issues CHECK THAT BOLT!!!

And checking that bolt is difficult because the steering rack is in front of it, so that has to come out, which means removing the front suspension and spring, for which the special tool to release the spring is required.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom