Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Millage

beaver_jd

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Red XLR / 2007 XLR-V
I would like to get an idea on how important keeping low millage on your car is to you. I have 88,000 miles and I feel that this car has high millage and I should not be spending much money on it. However I have been spending. I purchased a Corsa exhaust system, chromed the wheels and grill and other little things. The car runs like a top and have had minimal problem. What kind of millages do some of you have and again how important is it ?
John F.

Hi John,

You bring up a truly engaging problem. I have noted that some XLR owners want to drive their cars very occasionally and carefully, and some, on the other extreme, use them as sports cars-- that is, driving them hard, and driving them often.

Having just researched and purchased my first XLR, and having owned a Cadillac Allante for many years, I was very much aware that exotic cars with fewer miles demand a higher resale value, that high end exotic cars often have multiple owners, and that when a mechanical problem occurs, there are hard aches, especially because it's difficult to find expert, experienced technicians to fix issues. Added to these issues, there's the problem of parts replacements and out of stock GM parts.

I have noted that while this forum is replete with challenging mechanical problems, the consensus regarding the durability of XLRs is very positive (similar to the Allante)... and if you're following the "for sale " ads, some high mileage XLR's, some in excess of 150K, still pull over 10 k . I suppose that if you're feeling that every mile degrades your car's value, than it's best to sell the car and buy a disposable, soulless Toyota... Happy day, James

Hi John,

You bring up a truly engaging problem. I have noted that some XLR owners want to drive their cars very occasionally and carefully, and some, on the other extreme, use them as sports cars-- that is, driving them hard, and driving them often.

Having just researched and purchased my first XLR, and having owned a Cadillac Allante for many years, I was very much aware that exotic cars with fewer miles demand a higher resale value, that high end exotic cars often have multiple owners, and that when a mechanical problem occurs, there are hard aches, especially because it's difficult to find expert, experienced technicians to fix issues. Added to these issues, there's the problem of parts replacements and out of stock GM parts.

I have noted that while this forum is replete with challenging mechanical problems, the consensus regarding the durability of XLRs is very positive (similar to the Allante)... and if you're following the "for sale " ads, some high mileage XLR's, some in excess of 150K, still pull over 10 k . I suppose that if you're feeling that every mile degrades your car's value, than it's best to sell the car and buy a disposable, soulless Toyota... Happy day, James
James, I purchased this car to drive as much as I could all winter when I am down south and I do. Whether my car has 80,000 or 100,000 miles I don't think matters. Now I have a low miler toy at home and that truck I will drive occasionally.
John F.

Mileage doesn't matter to me. I drive my XLR often and very fast. Driven from the midwest to west coast to east coast. Drove from Seattle to New York last November. It's made for the road and I love it. Folks here in upstate New York always compliment me and it. It sits outside in the snow for days at a time. When the snow melts, it fires right up with no issues. When the road is clear we roll. Car wash gets many ooohhhs and ahhhs. Never gets old. It's an 05 red. Bought it with 60,000 in 2016, have put 12,000 on it since and don't have any intention to ever sell it or trade it. Will be mine until I leave here. This summer I'll put another 10,000 plus miles on it. New grandbaby in Seattle, another in KC then back to New York. Only issue was to replace the fuel pump. It's been hauling ass ever since. Anyone not enjoying these cars during winter months are missing out. Heaters work like any other vehicle. The paint shines just as nice in cold weather. I do have a 4 wheel drive Silverado during snow. When the sun shines, my XLR comes out to play.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I have about 186000 on my 07v. I drive it about 30000 a year but it gets put away for a few month durning PA snow season. I bought it in 2012 with the intention to drive and it loves being on the road. Sure I’ve had usual maintenance problems, brakes, wheel bearing, shocks, and recently a power steering pump but nothing unexpected.

Drive it!

I got my XLR last May and put 4,000 miles on it last year. After 4 new tires and those pricey new shocks, driving it makes me feel like I’m getting my money’s worth. After a long icy, cold winter I am ready to drive a lot of miles this summer and enjoy the puzzled looks of ‘what kind of car is that’ and the ‘hey-nice car mister’!

I have about 186000 on my 07v. I drive it about 30000 a year but it gets put away for a few month durning PA snow season. I bought it in 2012 with the intention to drive and it loves being on the road. Sure I’ve had usual maintenance problems, brakes, wheel bearing, shocks, and recently a power steering pump but nothing unexpected.
It sounds to me like you have a great car. You have lots of miles and it's running like a top. Maybe a number of us feel these cars are more fragile than we think. I would be very hesitant to drive it on a long trip for fear of a breakdown.
John F.

It sounds to me like you have a great car. You have lots of miles and it's running like a top. Maybe a number of us feel these cars are more fragile than they really are. I would be very hesitant to drive it on a long trip for fear of a breakdown.
John F.

My well behaved Driver

I’ve put about 12k miles on my 2008 ‘V’ in the last 4 years. It had 50k when I acquired it. I live in Palm Springs where everything is 10 min. away, so it’s difficult to add miles. I drive it daily and gave it a good round trip run from Palm Springs to Seattle a yr. & a half ago without a single problem. It was a very gratifying driving experience & my Cadzilla was the subject of conversation at nearly every stop.
Other than the normal replacement of aging parts, there has had only one recurring problem. Sometimes the passenger window does not track correctly after returning the top to the up/closed position. This results in having to lower the window in order to open the door.
Meanwhile, I’m enjoying the hell out of owning & driving this wonderful car.

It sounds to me like you have a great car. You have lots of miles and it's running like a top. Maybe a number of us feel these cars are more fragile than they really are. I would be very hesitant to drive it on a long trip for fear of a breakdown.
John F.

I commute 133 miles each way most days and drive it all summer. Never had a problem.

I commute 133 miles each way most days and drive it all summer. Never had a problem.

I agree, and I don’t consider our XLR-V’s to be at all fragile. I figure if the engine builder has enough pride & confidence to sign his completed engine, I will share his confidence. It has served me well for 4 years.
BTW, my first XLR (2007 base model) was black like yours ‘V’. It was hard to give it up that stealthy color. My 2008 ‘V’ is a Crystal Red Tint example & might purty, though.
Happy driving!

I’ve put about 12k miles on my 2008 ‘V’ in the last 4 years. It had 50k when I acquired it. I live in Palm Springs where everything is 10 min. away, so it’s difficult to add miles. I drive it daily and gave it a good round trip run from Palm Springs to Seattle a yr. & a half ago without a single problem. It was a very gratifying driving experience & my Cadzilla was the subject of conversation at nearly every stop.
Other than the normal replacement of aging parts, there has had only one recurring problem. Sometimes the passenger window does not track correctly after returning the top to the up/closed position. This results in having to lower the window in order to open the door.
Meanwhile, I’m enjoying the hell out of owning & driving this wonderful car.
My car is in Palm Springs as well. I am surprised I have never seen you cruising around as Palm Springs is a small area.
John F.

My car is in Palm Springs as well. I am surprised I have never seen you cruising around as Palm Springs is a small area.
John F.

Hola, John! My ‘V’ is Crystal Metalic Red Tint with a personal rear plate that reads ‘Cadsila’. Someone beat me to Cadzila with a ‘Z’. I’ll keep an eye out for you. Jim F.

John F.

Ah, I noticed you’re a Snowbird from up north. Welcome, eh? How long do you winter in PSP?
Jim F.

Ah, I noticed you’re a Snowbird from up north. Welcome, eh? How long do you winter in PSP?
Jim F.
Jim F. We are Snowbirds and come to the Desert in Oct, go home at the end of Nov and return sometime in Jan for the balance of the winter. We travel in a motorhome and have an RV lot at Outdoor Resorts which actually borders on Cathedral City and Rancho Mirage. Where in Palm Springs are you located ?
John F.

I had an '07 and sold it in '11. Missed it so much I bought an '06 in December. I thought I would drive occasionally on weekends but it's too much fun to drive not to enjoy. It's now my daily driver.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I had an '07 and sold it in '11. Missed it so much I bought an '06 in December. I thought I would drive occasionally on weekends but it's too much fun to drive not to enjoy. It's now my daily driver.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

They ARE addictive! We expressed our addiction by having 2 at the same time, a base & a V. We do actually try to keep the miles down on the V, though it gets put for plenty of exercise because to us, it’s more harmful to let it sit. No holds barred on the base, though we’ve only put 1u5k miles on it since we got it in 2010.

Neither one of us can use a XLR as a daily driver due to the nature of our jobs/what we commute through, which keeps the miles down. But from different people on this forum I have no doubt those Northstars can handle 150k no problem.

They ARE addictive! We expressed our addiction by having 2 at the same time, a base & a V. We do actually try to keep the miles down on the V, though it gets put for plenty of exercise because to us, it’s more harmful to let it sit. No holds barred on the base, though we’ve only put 1u5k miles on it since we got it in 2010.

Neither one of us can use a XLR as a daily driver due to the nature of our jobs/what we commute through, which keeps the miles down. But from different people on this forum I have no doubt those Northstars can handle 150k no problem.

I totally agree, Amy - VERY addicting. I saw how happy you two were with having two XLR's - I did the same thing. :cool:

I used my base ('05) a LOT for the first few years. I try to keep the miles down on the V - but its TOO much fun, too. My base has over 211K on it now, and it still has a lot of get up and go (speaking of Northstars - my 2000 DTX is now at 260K - its my favorite to drive, after the XLR's).

My Northstars: 2000 DTX - 260K, 2005 XLR - 211K, 2007 SRX - 185K and 2007 XLR V - 60K

I totally agree, Amy - VERY addicting. I saw how happy you two were with having two XLR's - I did the same thing. :cool:

I used my base ('05) a LOT for the first few years. I try to keep the miles down on the V - but its TOO much fun, too. My base has over 211K on it now, and it still has a lot of get up and go (speaking of Northstars - my 2000 DTX is now at 260K - its my favorite to drive, after the XLR's).

My Northstars: 2000 DTX - 260K, 2005 XLR - 211K, 2007 SRX - 185K and 2007 XLR V - 60K

Dave - I stand corrected - you’ve shown the Northstars can handle 200k no problem!

Now if it would just stop raining & warm up so we could get just one of them out for fun...

p.s.: copycat! But we’re ok with that kind of copying :wave:

I drive mine every chance I get. I had it out a couple weeks ago because we had enough rain to wash all the salt off the roads! I am a firm believer of not saving it for the next guy! It is a given that as mileage increases things will leak, wear out and break. That is part of owning anything that gets used on a daily basis.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom