Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Mirror map lights won't shut off

Mitch

My XLR/V(s)
2007 Passion Red XLR
Hello and thanks in advance. Yesterday my dual mirror lights decided to not shut off. I am at wits end trying to solve this issue. When I shut off the lights with the button on the right side of the dash, it does turn off the floor lights, but the map lights remain on. I have also confirmed that the switches on the mirror are in the off position.

Help!

Mitch

Just to make sure, you are aware that there are switches on the rear view mirror that control the map lights themselves?

Yes, thanks! Apparently winter has been to long here in Ohio. For some reason, I had the switches on the mirror in the on position! Duh, I feel dumb, please forgive me. Mitch

easily bumped!

Easy to do, I’ve turned mine on several times just cleaning the inside of the windshield!:blinzel:

I just bought my 2006 xlr and the map lights would not turn on or the garage door opener lights. Found a blown fuse. Replaced the fuse and now the map lights will not turn off. I have pushed the on off buttons on the mirror itself and the gauge button with the dome light on it on the dash. Cant get the lights off. Anyone have any ideas?

In reading about lights not turning off I read about turning map bulbs around. I turned the left map bulb around and it began to work with the dash dimmer switch. Just the left side worked. I then turned the right bulb around and reconnected and both are back on again and the dash dimmer switch no longer works on either light. Anyone else have this problem? Is it the bulbs the previous owner out in?

led bulbs usually only wil lwork one way. Not sure what bulb you have in it but I doubt thats the problem.

In reading about lights not turning off I read about turning map bulbs around. I turned the left map bulb around and it began to work with the dash dimmer switch. Just the left side worked. I then turned the right bulb around and reconnected and both are back on again and the dash dimmer switch no longer works on either light. Anyone else have this problem? Is it the bulbs the previous owner out in?

Sophia.

Check for corrosion on bulbs sockets, check for proper bulbs, check that reading lamps switches are on or off as you want.

IAN

Switched map bulbs out to led. Problem solved. Light on/off button on dash now works and buttons on rearview mirror as well. Thank you all for your help.

You're not the first owner with this problem!! Read the threads I have posted about having the same exact problem, and nobody seems to know what is wrong, or what the fix is!! I went back to old threads, and it shows a lot of other people have had that problem over the years!! Let me ask, "Are all of those people just driving their cars with that problem because it wasn't fixed?" I highly doubt that!! This leads to a second question; "Why doesn't someone that got it fixed; by the dealer, a private mechanic, or them self, tell us what the fix was???"

you should be able to go into the dic and find options. There you can set the interior lights for time on or off. I am not near a car for a while but you should be able to leave the map lights on and have them automatically go off with the floor lights

Well. They DON"T!! the mirror lights don't go on or off with the door opening or closing! Only the floor lights do. The mirror lights used to, but at a point in time , just stopped!! The lights on the mirror only go on or off when I push one of the on/off buttons on the mirror!

I was in a friends Cadillac ,not an XLR and mentioned your problem. He showed me how he could mange the way they come on and off from his DIC> I am sure the XLR is controlled the same way. DID you go into the display and look?

Not yet, but I will surely try that! I'm ready to lose my mind over this, and I'll try any suggestion to get it working correctly!!They always worked with the door opening and closing, and then they didn't!!??? It's crazy!!!

Last edited:
I just went into the D I C, and there is no place to that you can scroll or reset, that has anything to do with the mirror lights. My common sense tells me there is a relay somewhere in the circuitry, that turns the mirror lights on at door opening, and off at door closing; but where it is nobody, including me, seems to know!! But I'll be dam*d if I wont find out somehow, because I just won't give up until I fix it! I have the (2) manuals-Repair, and Maintenance, and they show the circuitry for the mirror lights, but you would have to be a "Philadelphia Lawyer" to read it and understand it!! And I figure I'm no dummy, but it surely has "Got Me Up A Tree!!"

its in the DIc under options. I will look at a car and send you a PM as to how to fix it.

Hi Steeve.

Some one on the same thread have change the bulbs for proper ones ( I suppose ) and this has solve a similar problem then your XLR, its economical and could worth to try.
At the same time check for the corroded sockets while you have the bulb out, in order to make things easier remove the mirror.

Good luck.

IAN

I can't even figure out how I would change a bulb in the mirror if one was bad!! Mine are good, but will someone please explain how to change them when the need to do that comes up!

I just changed my lights out to LED lights and it solved my map lights on the mirror not turning off. The lens cover pops off. To get the the bulbs out use a 4 inch zip tie. Place around the base of the bulb and pull. It pops right out. Put in new bulbs and replace lens cover. (Use a flat head screwdriver to pop off cover. There is a tiny slot near the on/off button you can get a corner into and pop off the cover.)

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back