Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Motor Hotels

Crimson Pearl

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2005 Crimson Pearl XLR
Back in the 30's and 40's, America saw the development of the "Motor Hotel". This was lodging designed specifically for the motoring public. We are all familiar with the typical 50's and 60's vintage motels with an arch of rooms and a restaurant/office in the front center. There were also a lot of novelty designs with such design features as "teepees" for rooms and other ideas designed to attract the motoring public.

But, back in the 30's and 40's, there were quite a few "motor hotels" built where each room had it's own garage! We have all probably seen these in some of the old movies, but may not have ever seen one in person.

Here are pictures that I took back in 2000 in a small NC town. It is a surviving "motor hotel".

Vintagemotel3.jpg

And here is a little closer view. Some rooms had a garage and some did not. I would assume that you paid extra for a room with a garage.

Sure wish they had new "Motor Hotels" with a garage! Would make traveling in Crimson Pearl a lot nicer!

Vintagemotel4.jpg

I've never seen such in Canada but that is very cool. I'm a nut for Mid-Century modern design and love finding old motels from the 50s and early 60s in my travels.

I've seen many motor hotels in my time... but noe with garages. Interesting... thanks for posting.

I have never seen nor heard of Motor Hotels. I would pay extra to stay some place like that.

Pretty cool. Thanks Ken for teaching me something new. :)

Mike

There was a motor hotel just outside New Orleans back in the 70's (damn wish I had pics). My dad and I stayed there once cause he was as anal about his car as Cubby (Oops, did I say that out loud).

On a similar note, I spent some time exploring the South after I retired and spent a weekend here.

top-oap-photo.jpg

Many of the southern plantations have been converted to bed and breakfast places. The one I stayed at (above pic) ran tours from 10AM to 6PM. Back then, overnight guests in the main house were given free reign of the entire plantation after 6PM (the house, the gardens, the levy, et al.). This latest map of the estate tells me a lot has changed since I was there.

Mapfullsized.png

I won't bother you with details of the debauchery that transpired that weekend, but I'm sure it's part of the reason they don't let people stay in the main house anymore. Back then folks who rented rooms in the main house got to park their cars in part of the barn converted to a garage.
barn.jpg

Log Cabin Court, Salida, Collorado

LOG CABIN COURT, SALIDA, COLORADO was first known as JAMES MOTOR COURT. This property consisted of ten city lots, each lot was 25 feet wide, depth of lot was to the center of the flowing channel of the Arkansas River. The shortest depth of 150 feet, the longest 250 feet. The cabins were erected over a period of about three years, 1937/1939. It was interesting to see the different types of construction used. Some of the logs had rough sawn lumber between the logs that had been squared on top and bottom. Other logs were used as they were cut down. Some had the bark on them, some were pealed. All of the cabins were plastered on the interior. Each cabin had a private bathroom and kitchen.

There were two gas pumps at the front of the main building which housed the owner/managers living quarters. On the back of the main building was a little grocery store which was later turned into another rental unit.

I purchased the property October 5, 1973 as an investment and a place to live, escaping the city life of Denver as I had retired December of 1971 at age 37. The property needed a lot of work which gave me a challange to use my skills I had learned as a teenager working for my father who was a building contractor in Illinois.

Cabin 9 had a garage incorporated in the building with double swinging doors. All of the buildings were chinked with the concrete/mortor mixture. The logs were painted red and the chinking was painted white when I purchased it. At one time there was a leanto attatched to the side of Cabin 7 and my research showed that James had an auto repair business in the leanto addition.

To make a long story short, I operated the business until 1996 when I hired full time managers. I moved into my Brownstone which was built in 1903 and restored it. I sold the Log Cabin Court, closing was April 1, 2008. The buyers tore down the buildings, shredding the logs as they tore them down and have built Condo's. The three bedroom units are selling for $750,000.00. When I was in Salida last year in June, the comments from the long time Salidians was it looked a lot better when it was THE LOG CABIN COURT. I truly have to agree with them.

This is progress???

LOG CABIN COURT, SALIDA, COLORADO was first known as JAMES MOTOR COURT. <snip> The buyers tore down the buildings, shredding the logs as they tore them down and have built Condo's. The three bedroom units are selling for $750,000.00. When I was in Salida last year in June, the comments from the long time Salidians was it looked a lot better when it was THE LOG CABIN COURT. I truly have to agree with them.

Sounds like they "Paved Paradise; put up a parking lot", to quote the old song. I'll look for it the next time I go thru Salida.

Tim

Great pics, Ken! Question, what is that white stuff on the ground there?? Haven't seen any of that here in over 9 months!!:chuckle:chuckle

Grogan's Tourist Court

I recently acquired this vintage postcard of Grogan's Tourist Court.

I thought some here might find it interesting to see.

The date it was postmarked appears to be August of 1947.

I have been planning a day trip back to Madison, NC for a while now, but it just hasn't happened yet.
Grogans postcard.jpgGrogans postcard rear.jpg

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back