Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Need advice on 2008 XLR-V

J

jshaw

I am thinking about joining your exclusive club by becoming an XLR-V owner. I have talked with an owner of a 2008 model with 41,000 miles and would have to travel to see/buy it so want to be pretty sure of what to look for and ask. Need your wisdom and insight on this model.

1. Are there any persistent issues or problem areas with the XLR-V that I should address?
  2. Warranty has expired so should I get an extended warranty?
  3. Am I looking at major maintenance costs with 41,000 miles?
  4. Any other questions I should be asking?

Thanks for your input and helping me with this decision. You are welcome to email me off line or post here.

I am thinking about joining your exclusive club by becoming an XLR-V owner. I have talked with an owner of a 2008 model with 41,000 miles and would have to travel to see/buy it so want to be pretty sure of what to look for and ask. Need your wisdom and insight on this model.

1. Are there any persistent issues or problem areas with the XLR-V that I should address?

Thanks for your input and helping me with this decision. You are welcome to email me off line or post here.

I suggest you ask if it has a white exterior. It is pretty well understood that the red and black ones are quite a bit slower.... Fortunately they made some white XLR-Vs in 2008 to make up for that problem. Good Luck with your purchase.

You are going to love it!

Steve

Make sure the roof functions well.

There are many expensive parts on these cars, something to consider when thinking about an extended warranty. Each shock is about $1000 as are the headlight assemblies. A lot of expensive things that could fail.

Batteries tend to be short lived, but not that major of an expense.

Generally speaking they are fairly reliable. I can't think of any special questions that would be any different then any other used car purchase.

Good luck.

I suggest you ask if it has a white exterior. It is pretty well understood that the red and black ones are quite a bit slower.... Fortunately they made some white XLR-Vs in 2008 to make up for that problem. Good Luck with your purchase.

Steve

While this may be true for those XLRs that have negative intake manifold pressure and must suck the air and fuel into the combustion chambers, with the more positive XLR-Vs red chromatic effect is desired for higher acceleration rates. :D

Congrats, sounds like you have a car worth looking at. Check the top operation, and also check the area in the left rear of the trunk, under the carpet. There is a receptacle with two computers and the top pump, check for signs of standing water in there.
Bruce

Oil leaks of varying degrees of severity are a possibility at any mileage (base or V). They can be expensive to repair because it takes a lot of work to get to them, even if the leak itself is an easy fix. I've been living with a very small drip on my base, which has about the same mileage as the V you're considering, for about 2 1/2 years.

That said, they only made about 2,000 V's, so if you find a leak & it's small, it's probably still worthwhile to pull the trigger. It could be quite a while before any repair is needed.

Phrede made a good point about repair costs in general for these cars - the purchase price may drop from new, but the repair costs do not. These are very computerized & complex cars - but more fun than anything else I've ever driven & worth every penny to me!

Good luck!

Send me the last 8 of the VIN & your email address, & I will send you the warranty repair history & vehicle build info. :wave:

Send me the last 8 of the VIN & your email address, & I will send you the warranty repair history & vehicle build info. :wave:

What Bruce is offering is a must do!! This will give a lot of information and a picture of what kind of life your V has had.

Good Luck!:wave:

Mike

Steve

The ONLY reason the white would be faster is because it is the raw material and hasn't been painted!!!! :laugh::laugh:

Bowling Green must have run out of Black Raven and all the other reds when your XLR rolled into the paint booth.....so white XLR's are not as heavy giving them a little advantage. :twist::twist::twist:

Mike

The ONLY reason the white would be faster is because it is the raw material and hasn't been painted!!!! :laugh::laugh:

Bowling Green must have run out of Black Raven and all the other reds when your XLR rolled into the paint booth.....so white XLR's are not as heavy giving them a little advantage. :twist::twist::twist:

Mike

OK... technically speaking, that would be true for black XLR's, not white - as unpainted parts are usually black.:blinzel::wave:

Oil leaks of varying degrees of severity are a possibility at any mileage (base or V). They can be expensive to repair because it takes a lot of work to get to them, even if the leak itself is an easy fix. I've been living with a very small drip on my base, which has about the same mileage as the V you're considering, for about 2 1/2 years.

That said, they only made about 2,000 V's, so if you find a leak & it's small, it's probably still worthwhile to pull the trigger. It could be quite a while before any repair is needed.

Phrede made a good point about repair costs in general for these cars - the purchase price may drop from new, but the repair costs do not. These are very computerized & complex cars - but more fun than anything else I've ever driven & worth every penny to me!

Good luck!

Yes I agree sending my Roxy back in tomorrow to change rear end oil again! I think anyone that has the chance to buy a good aftermarket warranty should! I paid $2700.00 for the Route66 good for 5 years or 100000 miles (just turning over 70,000 now) and still have 3 years left from this Aug. and use over 2000$ that they paid already!!!! Like you said not a cheap car to repair/maintain but one of best fun cars ever own!
I JUST LOVE MINE TOO!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Thanks Dan

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry