Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

New Intercooler Pump

onalaska

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Infared XLR-V
After sitting in traffic on a hot day I noticed that the acceleration of my V seemed sluggish and slower than normal. I traced the problem to the intercooler pump not running and properly cooling the air entering the engine from the supercharger. After moving the connector around on the back of the pump motor it would go on and off and sometime run slower than normal. It remained unreliable so I searched for a replacement and found one for a CTS-V that was being sold as a high capacity replacement and it fit almost perfectly in the same location as the old pump. I had to drill one new mounting hole in the supplied bracket, cut off the old connector and splice two wires, relocate the original pump relay, and shorten the new mounting bracket to clear the hood strut. The clearance problem was discovered after the pictures were taken so the bracket supplied with the new pump is not shown after I shortened it, but I just cut off the unused portion of the rear of the bracket and the hood strut then cleared without any problem. Flow charts show that this pump will flow more coolant through the supercharger and intercooler hopefully reducing the temperatures going into the engine.

Here are some pictures of the new intercooler pump that I installed.

New Pump Installation Instructions:

The Old Pump motor was much larger and heavier:

New Pump Installed with old pump sitting behind it for comparison:

New Pump rear view. Pump relay that was rivited to old pump now mounted to bracket:

New Pump top view. The original hoses connect just like the original:

After sitting in traffic on a hot day I noticed that the acceleration of my V seemed sluggish and slower than normal. I traced the problem to the intercooler pump not running and properly cooling the air entering the engine from the supercharger. After moving the connector around on the back of the pump motor it would go on and off and sometime run slower than normal. It remained unreliable so I searched for a replacement and found one for a CTS-V that was being sold as a high capacity replacement and it fit almost perfectly in the same location as the old pump.

You got any specs on that pump?

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back