Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

New (ish) sensor gremlin

Rule62

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Sable Black XLR/V
So I'm coming home on Tuesday night top-down and it was a bit chilly so I fired-up the HVAC to 75 and within a few seconds I got this message in the DIC: "ENGINE HOT - AC OFF". I also noticed that my temp. gauge was apparently down too.

Got home fine. Opened the hood, other than the electric cooling fan blowing at HIGH nothing seemed amiss. No coolant loss, nothing burning or leaking or smoking.

Today, I decided to take it for a short ride in the neighborhood to see what happened. As I started the car, I got the same message along with the non-responsive temp gauge and fan blowing at high. I drove about 3 miles and happened to glance down just as the temp gauge began to rise. It leveled off at just under 100 which is normal. I turned on the air and it blew nice and cold. No fan noise coming from under the hood.

I stopped to run some errands and when I started the car to go home, all was normal again and stayed that way all the way home.

So, knowing what I know I obviously have a faulty temperature sensor somewhere. I'm taking it in for an oil change tomorrow and I'm hoping my mechanic can find and fix it. Anyone else have this experience that can shed some light on to this? :dunno:

So I'm coming home on Tuesday night top-down and it was a bit chilly so I fired-up the HVAC to 75 and within a few seconds I got this message in the DIC: "ENGINE HOT - AC OFF". I also noticed that my temp. gauge was apparently down too.

Got home fine. Opened the hood, other than the electric cooling fan blowing at HIGH nothing seemed amiss. No coolant loss, nothing burning or leaking or smoking.

Today, I decided to take it for a short ride in the neighborhood to see what happened. As I started the car, I got the same message along with the non-responsive temp gauge and fan blowing at high. I drove about 3 miles and happened to glance down just as the temp gauge began to rise. It leveled off at just under 100 which is normal. I turned on the air and it blew nice and cold. No fan noise coming from under the hood.

I stopped to run some errands and when I started the car to go home, all was normal again and stayed that way all the way home.

So, knowing what I know I obviously have a faulty temperature sensor somewhere. I'm taking it in for an oil change tomorrow and I'm hoping my mechanic can find and fix it. Anyone else have this experience that can shed some light on to this? :dunno:

I had experienced the same problem just after purchasing mine. The coolant temp sensor wiring at the sensor had a bad connection, once that was corrected haven't had that problem since. BTW the coolant temp sensor on the 4.4 sc is located at the aft side of the head. Right Hand side (passenger side)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had experienced the same problem just after purchasing mine. The coolant temp sensor wiring at the sensor had a bad connection, once that was corrected haven't had that problem since. BTW the coolant temp sensor on the 4.4 sc is located at the aft side of the head. Right Hand side (passenger side)

How exactly did you correct this problem? Did you replace the sensor altogether or did you clean out the connector? Is this something my local mechanic can do or should I take it to the dealership? I'm wonderful warranty so I'm not necessarily looking for the least expensive solution.

The sensor was good , was the connector that was loose so I removed it from the sensor cleaned it with contact cleaner then re-installed it making sure it was secure. Problem solved

Original Poster is probably long gone.

Everyone says addressing that sensor requires the removing the super charger. Doesn't even seem reasonable.

I haven't looked yet, but has anyone addressed the pig tail or sensor without removing engine or supercharger?

Original Poster is probably long gone.

Everyone says addressing that sensor requires the removing the super charger. Doesn't even seem reasonable.

I haven't looked yet, but has anyone addressed the pig tail or sensor without removing engine or supercharger?

Still here, but my XLR has moved on.
When all was said and done, it was a faulty thermostat that was replaced and the symptom never recurred.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am surprised you got rid of your car. I thought you really liked it.
John F.

Oh I really did, but after six + years with virtually no problems I decided it was time for a change.

My new ZL/1 lets me haul all my stuff to the beach with the top down.

“All things must die, passing through nature to eternity” -
W. Shakespeare

I have had the problem four times changed out the engine coolent temp senso problem goesaway only again to reportatley fail another sensor which I have now come to doubt it appears to be a problem with the Northstar engine thermostat but I cant be sure DID YOU SOLVE THE PROBLEM IF SO LET E KNOW.

i had same problem, warning message , fans running on high.
mine was only happening in winter.
it was not a sensor. it was the Tstat.
had them swap it out and do a coolant exchange since i was due.
no problems since.
there are other threads on here that explain it in detail and pointed to the Tstat.
if you read below, rule said in post #8, it was his Tstat ;)

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom