Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

New member in need of favor (rear bumper key cover)

averyt1493

My XLR/V(s)
2005 Black XLR
Hello all!

My name is Avery and I purchased my 2005 black XLR back in October 2017 but I'm just now joining the forums :rolleyes:

I come needing a favor but hope to help out the XLR community in the process.

Would anyone be willing to send photos and exact dimensions of their rear bumper key cover ?

I plan modeling a 3D printable version of the cover just thick enough to be filed/sanded and painted and will share my efforts :thumbsup

Anyway, here's a pic of my ride! :cool:

Thanks!!!

Hello all!

My name is Avery and I purchased my 2005 black XLR back in October 2017 but I'm just now joining the forums [emoji57]

I come needing a favor but hope to help out the XLR community in the process.

Would anyone be willing to send photos and exact dimensions of their rear bumper key cover ?

I plan modeling a 3D printable version of the cover just thick enough to be filed/sanded and painted and will share my efforts :thumbsup

Anyway, here's a pic of my ride! [emoji41]

Thanks!!!

Welcome to forum of XLR WEALTH OF INFORMATION AND FINE PEOPLE!
Here’s the rear key cover info. See pictures it’s looks to be perfectly square! Hope this helps!
Also checkout the last week of September @ Bowling Green, Ky. 15 Year Homecoming at this link
Bowling Green Reunion - 15 Years - Cadillac XLR Forum - Cadillac XLR and Cadillac XLR-V Forums | Blog
e2d5ed5da3f3f9777ed2ed60c4041cb4.jpg
a224d5b92f75aabd3fa13593f9f43545.jpg

d8a503e88554e716eda764b235743103.jpg

Sent from Grand Daddy iPhone using Tapatalk

you can still get them for like 55$. the time to make them is when they are all gone. 3d printed material does nto take automotive paint well. we made some a few motnhs ago that fit fine, just even with special primer paint does not stick to PLA

you can still get them for like 55$. the time to make them is when they are all gone. 3d printed material does nto take automotive paint well. we made some a few motnhs ago that fit fine, just even with special primer paint does not stick to PLA

$55 dollars, that's like the cost of 2.5 spools of PLA! :D

Printed piece in black and luckily my car is black so if the Krylon High Gloss Black spray paint doesn't stick on the PLA it should appear OK.

Here's the Thingiverse link to the piece I modeled if anybody is interested in printing it themselves. If demanded, I can tweak the model for perfection and maybe afford to buy an official part :chuckle
Cadillac XLR Rear Bumper Key Cover by averyt1493 - Thingiverse

And pics... (please ignore dirty bumper and my lack of patience to let paint dry :dunno:)

Thanks Grand Daddy 05 for the reference pics!

looks great

got to say that looks pretty close. Looks a lot better than a hole in the bumper. If I have an extra one , I will send it to you to tweek it a little. should have a little attaching arrow shaped thread on it so it does not disappear when its removed. That break and then thy fall off and get lost.

Good ,job. So time is not worth anything to write the program? haha. we also like to do this sort of thing just because its fun.
s-l1600.jpg

Thanks Mickeytee, couldn’t find a pic like that anywhere!!! I’ll update the model tomorrow and make it closer to OEM, my clips could be more robust and I’ll try to get the holder piece in there too.

And shhhh, don’t tell my employer haha it’s how I offset the cost of modeling ;)

Really appreciate your guys assistance, what a great forum!

Welcome to The XLR Site : )

Looks like 05 Grand Daddy and Mickeytee hooked you up. :cool: Just curious here. So you 3d Printed the aux key hole cover? How did you handle the snap tangs on the backside that hold it in place and the retaining strap?

Again, Welcome

'09 hole cover different part number

Hi,

New member -

I see that the part number for my '09 XLR key hole cover is different (25844551) Totally discontinued - nothing available anywhere. FYI - mine is listed for sale online as well but when I called (several diff places) they had none.Would totally pay the $55 if I could get one!! Can anyone tell me what the difference is or be able to give me dimensions to an '09 part to see if they are the same ? Would love to get one made but want it to fit.

Thank you so much for your help!

Karen

Hi,

New member -

I see that the part number for my '09 XLR key hole cover is different (25844551) Totally discontinued - nothing available anywhere. FYI - mine is listed for sale online as well but when I called (several diff places) they had none.Would totally pay the $55 if I could get one!! Can anyone tell me what the difference is or be able to give me dimensions to an '09 part to see if they are the same ? Would love to get one made but want it to fit.

Thank you so much for your help!

Karen

Karen see my Thread #3 here in this Topic of post for pictures of dimensions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for your response Grand Daddy, but I was noting that the part number for the hole cover for my '09 is different than the hole cover part number for '05 so I was wondering if the dimensions or anything else would be different about it. Just wondering why the part numbers would be different if the parts were the same.

Thank you for your response Grand Daddy, but I was noting that the part number for the hole cover for my '09 is different than the hole cover part number for '05 so I was wondering if the dimensions or anything else would be different about it. Just wondering why the part numbers would be different if the parts were the same.

Oh... ok, sorry I really don’t have a answer to that question!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No worries! Thanks for responding!! I will try to get the '05 part made and see if it works!
Thanks again!!
K

04-08 vs 09

09 is a different size and shape. I have an 09 bumper to put on my 08 they will not interchange

That’s what I was worried about. Dang- will make parts even harder to find for our ‘09’s. Thanks for letting me know LT Sally!!

have one made

hopefully the guy can make one that will at least be close. Ireally find it hard to believe they do not have any of these. They made a good number of cars including the V and its the same .to think they must just fall out or are easy to loose . I cannot believe that many of them have been hit in the rear so that they are sold out

If there is one out there I can't find it, nor can my dealership unfortunately. Don't know when they stopped manufacturing them but it must be a popular part if there are none out there. Seriously thinking of selling before a major part is needed and cannot be found. I have offers - just LOVE my car and don't want to part with her.

Try Salvage Yard Locator On Line

If there is one out there I can't find it, nor can my dealership unfortunately. Don't know when they stopped manufacturing them but it must be a popular part if there are none out there. Seriously thinking of selling before a major part is needed and cannot be found. I have offers - just LOVE my car and don't want to part with her.

I obtained my replacement High Mount Brake Light when needed from a salvage yard in Wisconsin a few years back. Yup, afterwards then started being offered 'new', re manufactured, and at less than 1/2 of what I paid. Ugh. :(

Sometimes these sites show items that are discontinued, but still shown as available. Try this link, I've had good luck with these folks. If it isn't available, you will get an email saying it's on back order. Then just cancel the order. Worth trying.

Hole Cover - GM (12335690) | GMPartsDirect.com

Tim

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CNC - Thanks!! I will try that avenue - hopefully I'm as lucky as you were! (well, except for the paying double part!;))

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom