Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

New Member Indiana

Danible

Hello,

I am in the market for a sporty 2 seater as a weekend driver, and the XLR is on my short list. I like the uniqueness and limited availability of it. Joined to find out the best years, known issues, options, and aftermarket availability.
So I am actively looking for one.
Thank you

There is lots of discussion on here about these topics. I would recommend staying away from the 04/05 year models. Parts are getting hard to find. Headlights and taillights will total the car. Make sure the top works well.
Check for water signs in the rear electronics well in left rear of the trunk, any sign of water is a disaster waiting to happen.

There is lots of discussion on here about these topics. I would recommend staying away from the 04/05 year models. Parts are getting hard to find. Headlights and taillights will total the car. Make sure the top works well.
Check for water signs in the rear electronics well in left rear of the trunk, any sign of water is a disaster waiting to happen.

Thanks for the tips.

I agree . The cheaper 04 and 05 will not make up for the cost of parts that are specific to those two years . I think the best bang for the buck will be an 07 08 with reasonable miles Depends on how much you plan on driving it. The cost to put miles on it is rather cheap. brakes , hoses , most of the wear out parts are inexpensive .

Welcome to The XLR Site : )

Ditto per others on the headlight issues (apparently they melt?) with 04' and 05's. Many have replaced those years headlamps with those out of 06' and up. The replacements on eBay are 'outrageously expensive'! Another issue is the exhaust on a trip causes pretty excessive heat in the passenger compartment because the pipes run right under the console tunnel. This is easily solved by removing and reinstalling with the heavier aftermarket insulated replacement heat shield. The source is listed somewhere on this site? In my case, I made my own and baffled it to cause air turbulence underneath when driving. Worked a treat! :thumbsup Annoying issue solved. Also, as also stated make sure your trunk seal is good and not leaking. The 'brain' for the retractable hard top is in the lower left of the trunk in a cavity there. If that fills with water, or the drain gets plugged up, an expensive repair is ahead of you.

As far as being on your 'short list' an XLR to me is the only way to go. Just different than seeing so many Mercedes 600L's or Vettes. And we did consider all the others.

Again, Welcome! :)

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry