Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

New Owner and Forum Member

PLH

My XLR/V(s)
2004 Black Excaliber
Hello everyone, my name is Phil. I just bought my wife an XLR after selling my 08 convertible corvette due to cancer side effects with my legs and the corvette having a stick. I guess I should have bought me another corvette with an auto but I wanted to do something for my wife's retirement. As you might guess, the first thing I encountered was the right side tail light and went thru the learning about that problem. The car is an 04 with 62000 black in very good shape, hardly a scratch. I will fix it up a little and give it a good Zaino polishing and decide to sell it or deal with it. I do have Vettetronics going to fix my taillight. Good to be here, any help will be appreciated.

Hello everyone, my name is Phil. I just bought my wife an XLR after selling my 08 convertible corvette due to cancer side effects with my legs and the corvette having a stick. I guess I should have bought me another corvette with an auto but I wanted to do something for my wife's retirement. As you might guess, the first thing I encountered was the right side tail light and went thru the learning about that problem. The car is an 04 with 62000 black in very good shape, hardly a scratch. I will fix it up a little and give it a good Zaino polishing and decide to sell it or deal with it. I do have Vettetronics going to fix my taillight. Good to be here, any help will be appreciated.

Welcome to our world of the XLR and this very informative forum! Get yourself a battery tender, if this beauty sit longer then about 2 weeks the battery dies, which causes all kind of issues, keep a few fresh FOB batteries around in case it dies on ya! (I even keep one in my wallet or wife’s purse during good weather driving time here in PA. On the drivers side in the back of the trunk, in that left corner, under the carpet is your retractable top pump. Look under the car at that area and see box that hangs down, that is the pump box, and you’ll see a small black rubber hose, that is a water drain hose to that which drains any water from that pump box, make sure it never gets block, you can get water backed up in the pump box and damage that pump unit! [emoji849][emoji20] Wishing you the best of luck with your new to you, toy! Hope you get to enjoy some top down driving while summer coming to end!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Welcome !

Hi Phil, and Welcome to The XLR Site. These cars are so unusual and beautiful once you get issues sorted, I'll bet your wife will want to keep it.:thumbsup Good job on getting your XLR. Please post some pictures when you can.

Welcome to the forum. And to add to what dan was saying too. The driver side trunk area there is a little flip carpet on the side. Turn the knob on that cover and you’ll find 2 buttons/pull/turn levers one goes to the gas cover and the other goes to the doors (atleast the drivers door I think). But most importantly if you get stuck inside and the display says no fob detected. Just between your leg and the door on the door sil is another lever. That’s your emergency door release. It’s on both sides passenger and drivers. Most importantly though is you should’ve gotten a actual key. That’s for the little panel on the back bumper (drivers side). Gently pry that panel loose and you’ll see a place to put that key. This is important if you loose power and have to get inside the car. But fair warning unless you are a body builder then you need 2-3 ppl with you to lift the trunk. This is also where you’ll have to get in to manually put the top up. You should’ve also have been given a Allen wrench of some sorts. Probably in the middle storage that’s between the seats on the back rest.
Other then these little items have fun and enjoy your new ride

Welcome to the forum. And to add to what dan was saying too. The driver side trunk area there is a little flip carpet on the side. Turn the knob on that cover and you’ll find 2 buttons/pull/turn levers one goes to the gas cover and the other goes to the doors (atleast the drivers door I think). But most importantly if you get stuck inside and the display says no fob detected. Just between your leg and the door on the door sil is another lever. That’s your emergency door release. It’s on both sides passenger and drivers. Most importantly though is you should’ve gotten a actual key. That’s for the little panel on the back bumper (drivers side). Gently pry that panel loose and you’ll see a place to put that key. This is important if you loose power and have to get inside the car. But fair warning unless you are a body builder then you need 2-3 ppl with you to lift the trunk. This is also where you’ll have to get in to manually put the top up. You should’ve also have been given a Allen wrench of some sorts. Probably in the middle storage that’s between the seats on the back rest.
Other then these little items have fun and enjoy your new ride

I have a plastic pouch bag with that wrench in also. It’s to manually operate your retractable top in case of emergency top failure (instruction are in the original manual, hope you never need to use it!!!) that kit is stored in the other cubby hole on passenger side of trunk! Another kit also contains a small 12 volt compressor, bottle of tire slime and hole puncture repair tool kit. I don’t know if that was a factory item kit or not, but it was in there when I purchased the car. I also added 2 small cases with some emergency tools, gloves, shop rags wedged in that hole too! It fits tightly so nothing rattles
995ac191e844e9165c823fa95eab9400.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/
I purchased this battery jump pack for around 80$ for emergency battery failure too! 20190822/4f9425393ec4115f9339222de14ecbc3.jpg
cdfcfdf9133353fefa635fc3d05ebb39.jpg

ebb07533e6625281b04c25b6b1523fb3.jpg

I have a plastic pouch bag with that wrench in also. It’s to manually operate your retractable top in case of emergency top failure (instruction are in the original manual, hope you never need to use it!!!) that kit is stored in the other cubby hole on passenger side of trunk! Another kit also contains a small 12 volt compressor, bottle of tire slime and hole puncture repair tool kit. I don’t know if that was a factory item kit or not, but it was in there when I purchased the car. I also added 2 small cases with some emergency tools, gloves, shop rags wedged in that hole too! It fits tightly so nothing rattles
995ac191e844e9165c823fa95eab9400.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/
I purchased this battery jump pack for around 80$ for emergency battery failure too! 20190822/4f9425393ec4115f9339222de14ecbc3.jpg
cdfcfdf9133353fefa635fc3d05ebb39.jpg

ebb07533e6625281b04c25b6b1523fb3.jpg

I use that side for when I go attend car shows. I have the cleaners a couple microfiber towels. Then I use the 1/4 trunk space for the collapsible chair/ the easel and collapsible table. Then I put my sign in the trunk area. Then I put the top down and head to the shows. The passenger side gets the cooler bag or larger cooler. Depending on how long the car shows are, determines the size of cooler. Don’t know what I’m going to do for the October xlr/antante show. Guess I’ll have to go down there with the top up because my mom will be joining me.

Hi Biker, Zaino is a modern polymer polish. It will make a black car shine like you would not believe. I put a coat of Zaino Z-5 on my car this weekend and, what a shine. You can layer it too. The more coats you use, the more it will shine. You can only buy it online, it is not in stores. Sometimes a car needs clay barring before you polish to get the clear coat nice a slick. I will take some pictures when get a few cots on I. Zaino has a complete line of car care products. It is all I use. Read about it. Everyone has different options.

Follow up with Z8 spray on black & it will look like glass. The Z8 is pricey to me but way worth it. The black car in front has the full Zaino treatment + Z8. The red car in my signature is also done with Zaino.

Attachments

• BCFD22A4-B87A-4F9E-BE5C-912C8D695CA8.jpg
    BCFD22A4-B87A-4F9E-BE5C-912C8D695CA8.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 271
Yes, I use the Z8 and it does make it pop. They also make a sealer that adds to the shine too. I forget how you put it on but bet it is on there website. you have to learn how to use it very sparingly. About 1/2 OZ will do a vete or a XLR, really. Give them a try, you ill be glad you did. It is good on chrome and your wheels too.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom